DAC + Headphone AMP combo

A trustworthy source recommended the Apogee Duet2 to me. You may wanna take a look.

Thanks. But this doesn't fit my requirements. I don't need balanced outs (it has ONLY balanced) and I dont need mic amp etc. Seems to be quite a neat one though :) love the way it looks. very apple-ish!

DAC*iT is not yet released. Made available only by mid June. Plus its just a DAC, no headamp section.

Been using Nova on and off in my rig for few years. But never had one for myself till now. Recently acquired a heavily modded used Nova and customized it to my requirements, replacing an aging but faithful CR515. Anyways, going by my experience with Peachtree so far, this should be a good DAC.

A little too late to see this thread -

I have an Essence STX and have uDAC-1, uDAC-2 (upgraded board of uDAC-1 to uDAC-2, so have uDAC-1 board and the uDAC-2 in proper enclosure), HRT MS2, Maverick TubeMagic D1.

HRT MS2 is the only one that even comes close to STX. uDAC-2 is better than uDAC-1 and D1, but none of them sound anywhere close to STX.

While I am not exactly an expert, you can refer to my notes on how Thunderpants sounded with different sources to get an idea. Just need to add that D1's OPAmps did get involved in that setup, so what I described in the post was a combination of MS2 -> D1 rather than MS2 alone.

A little too late to see this thread -

HRT MS2 is the only one that even comes close to STX. uDAC-2 is better than uDAC-1 and D1, but none of them sound anywhere close to STX.

Thanks! The uDAC2 and MS2 are sub-$150 DACs. They won't stand a chance :)

I am looking into a sub-$800 DAC + HDamp.

I am thinking of getting one of these:
1. Matrix mini-i 24/192 Balanced DAC + Headphone Amp - $300
2. CEntrance DACmini CX - $800

The matrix mini-i synergizes well with the HD600 senns.

Don't think you get the matrix mini here in India, guess will have to order from China.

DAC*iT is not yet released. Made available only by mid June. Plus its just a DAC, no headamp section.

Been using Nova on and off in my rig for few years. But never had one for myself till now. Recently acquired a heavily modded used Nova and customized it to my requirements, replacing an aging but faithful CR515. Anyways, going by my experience with Peachtree so far, this should be a good DAC.

very interesting. let's see the reviews once this is out.

I am sure it will be nowhere near the nova though :)

With ESS Sabre32 9022 DAC which is one of the best solutions.

Not familiar with 9022. If you are looking at the best in the Sabre range then I recently happen to read about the Invicta from Resonance Labs that uses Sabre 9018 Reference DAC. Although I don't foresee getting a chance to listen to it anytime soon - mainly thanx to its 4k price tag!

Anyone used a CEntrance DACport? I am planning to get one as a headamp for the HD600.

Please let me know if someone has used it. I have gone through the threads on head-fi as well (in case you are wondering).

Thanks,
Bhaskie

Not familiar with 9022. If you are looking at the best in the Sabre range then I recently happen to read about the Invicta from Resonance Labs that uses Sabre 9018 Reference DAC. Although I don't foresee getting a chance to listen to it anytime soon - mainly thanx to its 4k price tag!

Even audiolab 8200 series DAC/Pre Amp/CDP's use ESS Sabre32 9018 DAC.

How about this one?

?????

hey thanks for bringing these out!

The previous version (Audio-gd NFB-11 is discontinued now) was good, but there were USB issues with the sabre chipset apparently.

I am not sure how good these chinese dacs are with quality control. I'd read some good reviews on the Audio-gd NFB-10 ($800) since it it fully balanced and I can get balanced cables for the HD600.

I am drawn towards the CEntrance Dacport due to portability and simplicity. I need a portable dac+headamp anyway. So i guess i will end up getting the dacport and a desktop headamp+dac for the hifi.

Dear Sirs

I have CEntrance DAC miniCX, it has power full headphone output

and good sound quality, transparent with good ambient detailing

only issue is I like only open back headphones, I have Philips 9500

and AKG 712, these headphones require bass boost, I am running foobar 2000

in ASIO to Dac Mini CX, the DAC goes to a Preamp Hafler 915

and preamp output to Lovely Cube, Chinese Lehmann Black cube clone

the lovely cube drives Philips 9500 very nice

and I am happy with the sound, Bass boost is around 5DB

at 40 Hz and slight treble boost applied for HF, I dont like the

sound with software based equilisation

this setup sounds nice to my ears, I listen to well recorded Jazz in

44.1 16 bit Flac, the sound is good from Centrance, wish it had base and

treble boost, 5 Db would be enough

Robert Bose

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back