DAC Schiit Modi

Hi Friends,

Recently i got Schiit Modi DAC and thought to share my thoughts and experience. I may be iterating the same thing found on its review on the net, but still....

This is how it all progressed after purchasing my system before few months. Visiting hivision after couple of months so could not resist to share this post... :)

a) I have Tannoy Mercury V4i speakers and Yamaha AS-500. I used to initially listen by connecting my ipod directly with the wires. I don't have CDP nor CDS, and my source is mainly mp3 files. Ofcourse I get an idea how bad or less bad a file is and only keep the lesser bad files. I know the source is not kind of audiophile but that is what I have currently....hence i used the word 'bad' / 'lesser bad' files instead of 'good' :)

Since the experience of sitting on a chair and listening to the stereo system was new to me, I found it fantastic. Goosebumps ofcourse experienced even though it was a start-up / modest setup.

b) In some time I felt I had to stand up from the chair and reach out near to the ipod to change a song or select a song. Either ipod/ipad connected, i had to reach it.

I had a Apple Tv at my home which was connected to my tv, which could enable my to sit on chair and change songs assuming I was listening via Ipad and not ipod. However I did not have a DAC to connect to apple tv and music system. I also did not have Coax/SPDIF.

c) I started reading about DACs and since I did not have any experience or confidence about DACs, I purchased the Fiio D03K, a budget DAC. I connected it via Apple TV. I also had to purchase a SPDIF wire.

Yes...It was a great difference. The usual refimenents - crisper sound, tigher bass, better separation of instruments.
I now did not have to leave the chair for changing the song. I can also listen to youtube songs/music with the Ipad with me.... all wireless.

d) Then I came to know that Apple tv converts the data and outputs at 48 instead of 44.1. Sonically yes there might be differences but I had no way to find out. So I started hunting for Airport express, which outputs music at original 44.1. I then hunted for a model of airport express, known to have least jitter among the 3 models. The oldest model is not available for purchase online, hence I had to hunt for a pre-owned version. Luckly I got it.

e) After connecting and doing some comparison for couple of days, yes I could say there was a difference beteen the 48 and 44.1 Obviously the 44.1 sounded more true. So I started listening from Ipad via Airport express, SPDIF connection, Fiio D03K DAC and it was going good.

f) Then I started leaning towards Schiit after reading reviews. I was not sure whether it would be any improvement over the Fiio DAC. Also it was costlier. However thought of going for the start model which is Schiit Modi. I managed to order and get one.

g) Now listening to the Modi, the experience is significantly different. Not a day-night difference but still significant. Might be repeating the reviews found on net, but same experience for me as well...
--> It fills the space and air between the speakers....wider soundstage. Previously the sound was more centered but now it is in center, left and right and everywhere.
--> The highs are more clear and pronounced. Shimmering....
--> The rhythm....it keeps you engaged.
--> You don't feel like changing the song to next.... you continue to listen the full song. That is one of the most desirous thing about any DAC/music system I feel.
--> You don't feel like listening critically... you just enjoy it somehow... again one of the most desirous thing about any setup.
--> Another good thing....recordings which are live.... you can feel that live. After this DAC I got more inclined towards which are not recorded songs but rather recorded live. Even listening on some records via youtube give me goose bumps.

And I don't have to leave my plastic chair on which I sit to change to next song etc.... It keeps me glued to the chair :)

Thanks for reading this long post....

Regards,
Amit.
I myself have ordered a modi and waiting for the same...

Hi Friends,

Recently i got Schiit Modi DAC and thought to share my thoughts and experience. I may be iterating the same thing found on its review on the net, but still....

This is how it all progressed after purchasing my system before few months. Visiting hivision after couple of months so could not resist to share this post... :)

a) I have Tannoy Mercury V4i speakers and Yamaha AS-500. I used to initially listen by connecting my ipod directly with the wires. I don't have CDP nor CDS, and my source is mainly mp3 files. Ofcourse I get an idea how bad or less bad a file is and only keep the lesser bad files. I know the source is not kind of audiophile but that is what I have currently....hence i used the word 'bad' / 'lesser bad' files instead of 'good' :)

Since the experience of sitting on a chair and listening to the stereo system was new to me, I found it fantastic. Goosebumps ofcourse experienced even though it was a start-up / modest setup.

b) In some time I felt I had to stand up from the chair and reach out near to the ipod to change a song or select a song. Either ipod/ipad connected, i had to reach it.

I had a Apple Tv at my home which was connected to my tv, which could enable my to sit on chair and change songs assuming I was listening via Ipad and not ipod. However I did not have a DAC to connect to apple tv and music system. I also did not have Coax/SPDIF.

c) I started reading about DACs and since I did not have any experience or confidence about DACs, I purchased the Fiio D03K, a budget DAC. I connected it via Apple TV. I also had to purchase a SPDIF wire.

Yes...It was a great difference. The usual refimenents - crisper sound, tigher bass, better separation of instruments.
I now did not have to leave the chair for changing the song. I can also listen to youtube songs/music with the Ipad with me.... all wireless.

d) Then I came to know that Apple tv converts the data and outputs at 48 instead of 44.1. Sonically yes there might be differences but I had no way to find out. So I started hunting for Airport express, which outputs music at original 44.1. I then hunted for a model of airport express, known to have least jitter among the 3 models. The oldest model is not available for purchase online, hence I had to hunt for a pre-owned version. Luckly I got it.

e) After connecting and doing some comparison for couple of days, yes I could say there was a difference beteen the 48 and 44.1 Obviously the 44.1 sounded more true. So I started listening from Ipad via Airport express, SPDIF connection, Fiio D03K DAC and it was going good.

f) Then I started leaning towards Schiit after reading reviews. I was not sure whether it would be any improvement over the Fiio DAC. Also it was costlier. However thought of going for the start model which is Schiit Modi. I managed to order and get one.

g) Now listening to the Modi, the experience is significantly different. Not a day-night difference but still significant. Might be repeating the reviews found on net, but same experience for me as well...
--> It fills the space and air between the speakers....wider soundstage. Previously the sound was more centered but now it is in center, left and right and everywhere.
--> The highs are more clear and pronounced. Shimmering....
--> The rhythm....it keeps you engaged.
--> You don't feel like changing the song to next.... you continue to listen the full song. That is one of the most desirous thing about any DAC/music system I feel.
--> You don't feel like listening critically... you just enjoy it somehow... again one of the most desirous thing about any setup.
--> Another good thing....recordings which are live.... you can feel that live. After this DAC I got more inclined towards which are not recorded songs but rather recorded live. Even listening on some records via youtube give me goose bumps.

And I don't have to leave my plastic chair on which I sit to change to next song etc.... It keeps me glued to the chair :)

Thanks for reading this long post....

Regards,
Amit.
hey Amit,
i need an advice. i have a separate set of jbl 305 active speakers that i got for my room for audio listening. But looking at the funny looking ports I am not sure how to pair them with my apple phone both wired and wirelessly. Need a budget solution for the same. Please advice.

Thanks

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back