DAC Schiit Modi

I agree Suhas wholeheartedly with you...the kind of engineering that goes inside a Maruti Alto and the number of man hours and quality of parts put inside puts even the most expensive audio components to shame....Yet there are people who want to spend exhorbitant amounts to simply show that they are rich or want to be different than the other rich folks by owning such products and the quality of software they listen to makes me want to laugh IMHO...

Hello guys
Received my schitt dac today...
Connected my pc -> schitt dac->Marantz pm5004-> q acoustic concept 20....
Could hear what I was missing in first set up...
Clarity, separation everything improved.
One more thing , I added my age old Panasonic bookshelfs (which came along with typical 5cd changer and cassette player....) to speaker B out on amp...
Kept 2 speakers on table aprox 4 feet apart and rest 2 on some boxes (temporarily) aprox 7 feet apart ..
Amazed with overall improvement...particularly low base...it was more pronounced though not overwhelming ...feeling like whole band of orchestra playing in front of me...
I don't know technically whether it's correct to add some completely difft kind of speakers to the amp playing all 4 speakers simultaneously in one room...
But I am liking the music quality...pretty happy than before ...instrument separation is just phenomenal when l am listening all 4 speakers together ...

Hello guys

Good.

I would appreciate if you could tell us what is the final landed cost of this DAC (basic cost + shipping + customs) , what paper work involved, who was the courier etc.

This will help many who are considering this DAC.

Good.

I would appreciate if you could tell us what is the final landed cost of this DAC (basic cost + shipping + customs) , what paper work involved, who was the courier etc.

This will help many who are considering this DAC.
Hi..
Basic cost 99$+ 39$ for shipping
Custom duty 2650 inr
FedEx courier.
Had to send FedEx few forms filled and scanned with photo & signature...(KYC)
Pan details.
Scanned copies of passport and adhar/driving lic...for address proof.
Ordered on 17th Aug. Received in pune on 21st. Pretty fast .

<snip>Clarity, separation everything improved.
One more thing , I added my age old Panasonic bookshelfs (which came <snip>instrument separation is just phenomenal when l am listening all 4 speakers together ...

Congrats :) Enjoy the music.

I'd suggest losing the extra echos that your Panasonic bookshelfs will introduce. It is exactly the same kind of echo from some yet unidentified hard surface that is driving me nuts.

ciao
gr

Shitt has got interesting range of products including tube headphone amp for aprox 300 $ ....that is something which I think not avail in India ....no headphone amp comes with tubes...am I right?

????

Its Schiit.....:)

" Yes, that is our name. Shih-tah. It's a proud German name, host to a long line of audio engineers who slaved away in crumbling Teutonic fortresses as lightning lashed the dark lands outside, working to perfect the best amplification devices in the world...

Or, well, no. Yep, Schiit is our name, and it's pronounced, well, like "hey man, that's some really good Schiit!" And now that we have your attention..."

regards

????

Its Schiit.....:)

" Yes, that is our name. Shih-tah. It's a proud German name, host to a long line of audio engineers who slaved away in crumbling Teutonic fortresses as lightning lashed the dark lands outside, working to perfect the best amplification devices in the world...

Or, well, no. Yep, Schiit is our name, and it's pronounced, well, like "hey man, that's some really good Schiit!" And now that we have your attention..."

regards

sorry typing mistake:p

i was looking for bookshelf speakers stands, ordered soundfoundations nexus on hifimart but they are not in stock so have to cancell the order. no budget friendly stands avail localy in pune. so googled about DIY stands..found one image of stands made up of white and green marble (that we use for flooring or kitchen table.)
went to local Tiles and marble shop. gave him rough sketch.
12*12 * 1 inch base plate. 6*6 inch column. 30 inch height. 12*12* 0.5 inch head plate.
very simple design but i think it should serve the purpose..
will get them by today evening. lets see how they turn out....
total cost 2800 Rs for pair. white marble.
green marble bit cheaper ...around 2000 for pair.
white looks decent so chosen that....

Hi mpw...
Can u elaborate what will be the difference between metal and marble stands in terms of sound quality?
What I personally feel is speakers should get firm and sturdy base ...so that vibrations are well absorbed ...so thought of marbles...I may be wrong also ...lets see ...

Cadence uses marble top for their stands for Arita bookshelf, while columns are made up of MDF.

I have seen / heard all varieties, full wood (MDF) , full metal , full stone, wood+ metal, Wood + stone , no difference felt .

Only requirement here is proper height and sturdiness, that's all.

Tigerwag: Fill the columns with sand ( lead shots are quite popular , though) ,

long back I posted about some Audiophile grade sand! I hope that variety is still in prodction (prices might have gone up by 20-30% though)..

Here is the old post of mine:

"You get better result by using specially treated Audiophile grade sand.
There are companies supplying this kind of sand. Sand is procured from some undisclosed sea beaches where no man ever stepped in, totally virgin sand. Then the sand is washed as many as 135 times using holy water from rivers such as Ganges, Yamuna, Tigris, Nile etc. People have reported that Ganges water brings lots of tonal accuracy while Nile water gives much tighter bass.

The washed sand is then dried in Sahara desert. After that the sand is mixed with gold, silver granules and polished in a ball mill. which works in a zero gravity mode. After this the sand is foot rubbed by virgins on a full moon night. This secret process gives the sand those euphoric hifi qualities.

Typically 1 Kg of sand costs Rs 25000 + taxes. Double virgin version costs Rs 65000 per Kg. Sand tech , the world leader in Audiophile sand has a Nirvana variety of sand costing Rs 2,00,000 per Kg and believe me , there is a long waiting list for this sand.

Of course , you must have a very revealing system to hear the difference."

Hope this helps.

tigerwag,

suggest you read up info on this forum on stands and elsewhere. There is enough material available.

sometimes it is difficult to hear the difference unless the system or the listeners ears can perceive it.

There is also 1 pair avbl on sale from a delhi FM - check it out.

I suppose any further discussion on speaker stands will be OT vis a vis the topic of this thread.

good luck !

rgds

for stands - dont do DiY and re-invent the wheel.

be patient - dont do marble etc..

I think tigerwag that you are doing just fine. I always find that trying out things and learning for myself is not a bad thing. And its not a life-or-death scenario here in my opinion that you need to get it right in the first attempt.
I find the journey to be as good as the destination.

Got my marble stands done in local workshop and I am pretty happy with them...
For begginers like me budget is bit tight ...so can't spend 10k on stands....

Hello guys
Connected my pc -> schitt dac->Marantz pm5004-> q acoustic concept 20....
Could hear what I was missing in first set up...
Clarity, separation everything improved.
One more thing , I added my age old Panasonic bookshelfs (which came along with typical 5cd changer and cassette player....) to speaker B out on amp...
Kept 2 speakers on table aprox 4 feet apart and rest 2 on some boxes (temporarily) aprox 7 feet apart ..
Amazed with overall improvement...particularly low base...it was more pronounced though not overwhelming ...feeling like whole band of orchestra playing in front of me...
I don't know technically whether it's correct to add some completely difft kind of speakers to the amp playing all 4 speakers simultaneously in one room...
But I am liking the music quality...pretty happy than before ...instrument separation is just phenomenal when l am listening all 4 speakers together ...

Hi
Which model will allow to hook my headphone ?
Like to connect laptop-dac(model)-avr
Can these be possible with modi 2
Please clarify me
Thanks

Perhaps a little late to weigh in the cable debate on DACs but still here goes,

I recently got an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, prior to this major major investment for me I was using Fiio E07K as DAC, the improvements are many folds and many dimensional almost. I also had queries about the USB cable from my PC to DAC and was looking for good quality ones. Fellow Kolkata FM Koushik and Shuv suggested to use a standard USB A-B device cable and not to go overboard with 'audiophile' cables.

Later I read on Emotiva forums that Emotiva also suggest to use a basic but good quality cable and stay clear of those which claim to be of the 'Audiophile universe' variety, now I see that Schiit advises the same.
I can say with conviction that Emotiva is doing its magic in spite of being held back so drastically by a basic cable! :D

Got my marble stands done in local workshop and I am pretty happy with them...
For begginers like me budget is bit tight ...so can't spend 10k on stands....

Hey tigerwag, why dont you post some photos of your stands, sounds very interesting. I meant sounds interesting in general, not that the marble enhances the sound ;)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back