DAC Schiit Modi

amit11

Hi Friends,

Recently i got Schiit Modi DAC and thought to share my thoughts and experience. I may be iterating the same thing found on its review on the net, but still....

This is how it all progressed after purchasing my system before few months. Visiting hivision after couple of months so could not resist to share this post... :)

a) I have Tannoy Mercury V4i speakers and Yamaha AS-500. I used to initially listen by connecting my ipod directly with the wires. I don't have CDP nor CDS, and my source is mainly mp3 files. Ofcourse I get an idea how bad or less bad a file is and only keep the lesser bad files. I know the source is not kind of audiophile but that is what I have currently....hence i used the word 'bad' / 'lesser bad' files instead of 'good' :)

Since the experience of sitting on a chair and listening to the stereo system was new to me, I found it fantastic. Goosebumps ofcourse experienced even though it was a start-up / modest setup.

b) In some time I felt I had to stand up from the chair and reach out near to the ipod to change a song or select a song. Either ipod/ipad connected, i had to reach it.

I had a Apple Tv at my home which was connected to my tv, which could enable my to sit on chair and change songs assuming I was listening via Ipad and not ipod. However I did not have a DAC to connect to apple tv and music system. I also did not have Coax/SPDIF.

c) I started reading about DACs and since I did not have any experience or confidence about DACs, I purchased the Fiio D03K, a budget DAC. I connected it via Apple TV. I also had to purchase a SPDIF wire.

Yes...It was a great difference. The usual refimenents - crisper sound, tigher bass, better separation of instruments.
I now did not have to leave the chair for changing the song. I can also listen to youtube songs/music with the Ipad with me.... all wireless.

d) Then I came to know that Apple tv converts the data and outputs at 48 instead of 44.1. Sonically yes there might be differences but I had no way to find out. So I started hunting for Airport express, which outputs music at original 44.1. I then hunted for a model of airport express, known to have least jitter among the 3 models. The oldest model is not available for purchase online, hence I had to hunt for a pre-owned version. Luckly I got it.

e) After connecting and doing some comparison for couple of days, yes I could say there was a difference beteen the 48 and 44.1 Obviously the 44.1 sounded more true. So I started listening from Ipad via Airport express, SPDIF connection, Fiio D03K DAC and it was going good.

f) Then I started leaning towards Schiit after reading reviews. I was not sure whether it would be any improvement over the Fiio DAC. Also it was costlier. However thought of going for the start model which is Schiit Modi. I managed to order and get one.

g) Now listening to the Modi, the experience is significantly different. Not a day-night difference but still significant. Might be repeating the reviews found on net, but same experience for me as well...
--> It fills the space and air between the speakers....wider soundstage. Previously the sound was more centered but now it is in center, left and right and everywhere.
--> The highs are more clear and pronounced. Shimmering....
--> The rhythm....it keeps you engaged.
--> You don't feel like changing the song to next.... you continue to listen the full song. That is one of the most desirous thing about any DAC/music system I feel.
--> You don't feel like listening critically... you just enjoy it somehow... again one of the most desirous thing about any setup.
--> Another good thing....recordings which are live.... you can feel that live. After this DAC I got more inclined towards which are not recorded songs but rather recorded live. Even listening on some records via youtube give me goose bumps.

And I don't have to leave my plastic chair on which I sit to change to next song etc.... It keeps me glued to the chair :)

Thanks for reading this long post....

Regards,
Amit.

Attachments

• Schiit Modi2.jpg
    Schiit Modi2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
the purpose of audio is enjoyment.

Nice to see your forward steps are taking you to a nice place for you.

rgds

@maniac_2004

Well in my case someone was coming from usa and I had ordered to their place in usa. So it cost me 99 plus 10 $ shipping to their place.

Mine is the optical version. Only optical it has. No coaxial.

For schiit even if we have to pay shipping charges to India plus any duties it is worth it.

Last edited:
Hi Amit, could you let us know how much was the total landed cost for the modi ?

Hai, in last month I also have purchased 'Modi 2' DAC from Schiit Audio directly from there website and they ship it to India directly. It's landing cost was 11.5K approx. including Import Duty. DAC cost was $99 plus Shipping cost (FedEx International Economy) was $39 Total of $138 ($1 = Rs. 64.1 on my order date) plus Import Duty was Rs. 2644/- which I have to pay to FedEx at the time of delivery.

It is a huge improvement for my Computer Audio.

Using a Modi 2 Uber (bought from a fellow FM here) with a cubietruck based streamer.It has a wider sound stage and clearer highs ....

Schiit Yggdrasil seems to be getting some rave reviews although its expensive still less the resonence labs invicta.
Is it the holy grail of dacs in its price range ?

g) Now listening to the Modi, the experience is significantly different. Not a day-night difference but still significant. Might be repeating the reviews found on net, but same experience for me as well...
--> It fills the space and air between the speakers....wider soundstage. Previously the sound was more centered but now it is in center, left and right and everywhere.
--> The highs are more clear and pronounced. Shimmering....
--> The rhythm....it keeps you engaged.
--> You don't feel like changing the song to next.... you continue to listen the full song. That is one of the most desirous thing about any DAC/music system I feel.
--> You don't feel like listening critically... you just enjoy it somehow... again one of the most desirous thing about any setup.
--> Another good thing....recordings which are live.... you can feel that live. After this DAC I got more inclined towards which are not recorded songs but rather recorded live. Even listening on some records via youtube give me goose bumps.

Thanks for writing this wonderful review - It is apparent, that it came Dil Se (from heart).

How long are you listening to it? I think most of the Schiit's product have a recommended 100hrs of break in before they starts sounding at their best. Just give it the time to break in and then again go back to your FiiO DAC and see that Schiit is doing to your music.

Thanks.

@koushik

Its almost two and a half months I have been listening. Break-in period would have completed by now.

Initially the highs were more pronounced but ofcourse not sharp, and over the time they have mellowed down.

Hello guys..
I have recently ordered schitt modi2 from their website directly. 139$ total without import duties.
I purchased preowened Q acoustics concept 20 and Marantz pm5004 amp on olx. Almost like a new condition. My source was flac files thr fiiox1 via simple 3.5mmjack to 2RCA to amp. sounding pretty good.
But few fellow members advised to change me source.
I don't have any CDs in my collection. So thought of bringing my desktop in picture.
Was advised to use dac . so ordered schittt. Will be receiving by 24th.
So my queries are
1) my set up is sounding good with fiio x1. But obviously not ad good as expensive set ups that I auditioned in couple of studios ...off course I don't expect same quality but sound staging , instrument separation , clarity in vocals is not that good. So after using pc with dac will help in improving quality of music?
2) I read that schitt people don't ship it with USB cable.
So which good quality cable to purchase and from where?
3) any other suggestions for above set up? Like adding anything else...?

So which good quality cable to purchase and from where?

Beyond Just Technology: SuperUltraHyperTechnology

PYST cables are made from only the finest 6-nines Unobtanium alloy, molecularly assembled in our Alternate Universe reality-distortion tesseract field , using a secret geometry reverse-engineered from crashed UFOs, painstakingly smuggled out of Area 51 by deep-cover operatives. Performance is further enhanced by the use of a QuantConnect quantum-entangled pair of transmission interfaces, held at absolute zero by our exclusive Stasis Field technology.

The cables are then wrapped in NanoAeroCap, a nanotechnology-enabled aerogel anti-capacitance insulation system, featuring Fractal Interleaved Geometry to create negative inductance for maximum audio transmission quality.

:rolleyes:

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

I'd just pick up the first working USB cable I find. Really.

ciao
gr

Beyond Just Technology: SuperUltraHyperTechnology

PYST cables are made from only the finest 6-nines Unobtanium alloy, molecularly assembled in our Alternate Universe reality-distortion tesseract field , using a secret geometry reverse-engineered from crashed UFOs, painstakingly smuggled out of Area 51 by deep-cover operatives. Performance is further enhanced by the use of a QuantConnect quantum-entangled pair of transmission interfaces, held at absolute zero by our exclusive Stasis Field technology.

The cables are then wrapped in NanoAeroCap, a nanotechnology-enabled aerogel anti-capacitance insulation system, featuring Fractal Interleaved Geometry to create negative inductance for maximum audio transmission quality.

:lol:
Have you ever considered writing sci-fi?
Seriously.
Unless you are already doing so.
Please forgive the OT.

:Have you ever considered writing sci-fi?
Seriously.Unless you are already doing so. Please forgive the OT.

Not worthy enough Sir.

That was copy/ paste from the schiit website which i linked above, from their pyst page (their USB product). I guess it is Jason Stoddard who wrote that

ciao
gr

Shiit cables are pretty cheap and good. I can also recommend bluejeans as vfm cable.

But why ? Remember, it is a digital signal and that Jason Stoddard (who designs and manufactures DACs and sells USB cables) says its okay to use "cheap" monoprice cables (aplgs I can't quote / link just now)

While I have no knowledge/ experience (or the interest) in hearing differences between / discussing cables - USB ones at that, I can assure the average untreated room is to probably doing far more damage to your sound than any other one thing, especially as you are starting off, when it is highly likely the room is not seen as a villain.

In Ethan Winer's words "obsess over vanishingly small amounts of distortion or frequency response errors in their gear accept response deviations of 30 dB or more added by their room"

To quote from tigerwag's post "but sound staging , instrument separation , clarity in vocals is not that good. So after using pc with dac will help in improving quality of music?" That to me is a reasonable description of an untreated room. I could be/ have been wrong before ofc, but if there is a USB cable between me and the nice holographic image I want, trust me I'll run out on freshly amputated stumps, left kidney in hand to buy it.

I'd much rather spend/save that money towards measuring/ treating the room first, but hey that's just me.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
wise words indeed..

its important not to get caught up in the micro improvements but enjoy the music as a full spectrum.

do the things that get you bigger results ( considering finesse of the system to exploit micro level changes including cable change )

its more important to train your ears and develop a sense to detect the subtleties and thus be sensitive to cable changes.

regards

Listening Room !

After spending so much on system components (that also include losses I had to bear when I sold system components at 50% of the purchase price) , one I day realized this very truth!

I could have gotten the more or less the same results (that my current set-up is giving) by keeping my initial set of components and by just spending a small amount of money on listening room treatment and correct positioning of speakers (no cost involved here).

I know of a guy who started with a small , humble budget of Rs 50K , ended up spending close to Rs 5 Lac in upgrading components one after another in just 1.5 year's span! He still wonders why after spending so much he is not getting the sound , he wanted.

Another guy, Rs 8 Lac system, listen to only handful of Audiophile grade (?) CDs ( 20 at the most if you really count them all) because other CDs sound awful on his system! Why to spend Rs 8 Lac on a system , which is so restrictive in nature.

Music system is for us , we are not for Music system.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back