DAC under 10k for my Macbook Air

saketselot

Hi Folks,

I would be visiting Singapore in a few days and want to buy a DAC to use with the USB out from my Macbook Air. Rest of the setup is Norge 2060 and Wharfedale 9.1. I dont listen to music over the headphones. Budget is about 10k INR. Any suggestions? Also any idea whats the best place to pick up hi-fi stuff in Singapore?

Warm Regards,
Saket Selot

The likely candidates for your budget are Audioengine D1, HRT music streamer II, Nuforce udac II.
I have'nt heard the AE D1, but using their speakers and happy with it, so expectations are high.
cannot comment on HRT, but it seems very popular.
Used the udac 1, but was not impressed.
btw, there is a dealer for AE in singapore. you can find the adress from their site.

I have'nt heard the AE D1.....

well, regarding the AE D1, read this Fiio's tiny and extraordinary-sounding headphone amplifiers | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

As per steve, Fiio e17 > Fiio E10 > AE D1.

cannot comment on HRT, but it seems very popular.

I have it and LOVE it!! Only problem is you will be stuck to using it only with computer. Correct me if im wrong!

I spent a lot of time researching on DACs before i got HRT MS 2. My initial budget was 30$ for Hifiman HM 101 after reading steve's review. Later i discovered Fiio E10 and pretty much ordered it. I kept on reading and discovered HRT MS2 and read many reviews and after that i just couldnt buy Fiio. For this DAC i compromised on getting a Cowon J3 and also stepped down to SR80i from ATH M50 and ended-up spending a lil bit more than what i intended to. :)

The MSII is a very good choice. Very detailed for the money. If you know that you need a DAC strictly for USB go ahead buy it. The other options are nuForce but somehow i've found it hit or miss, so listen to it before taking the plunge. AE D1 is supposed to be good going by the reviews but again an audition is recommended.

you can also get digital signal out from headphone out of mac. Then you can use any dac that uses toslink connection.
I have bad experience with streamer II. When using an external usb hdd, it seems the usb bandwidth got consumed too much, and there were clicks pops and deafening noised. I was suggested to use a powered usb hub. Had a tough time finding one at Nehru place, and one more device, one more power cable. I finally got one from chroma but the power part of it is gone now.
I think this problem may not be just streamer, but with any usb dac. So keep your USB free for other devices, use the optical out from mac for your dac.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, checking this thread after a week actually.
In the meanwhile, I went ahead and bought the Audinst HUD - MX1 from its India dealer based in Navi Mumbai. Cost me 9.7k INR. Audinst is a Korean company and the DAC uses some top level components for its DAC chip and timing clocks etc and the MX1 has been getting some very good reviews in the computer audio circles.

And boy have I been amazed with the sound since then! The sound staging is brilliant, as is the timing/attack on some tracks which sounded a little tired earlier, though my earlier source was a very entry level CD player and a WDTV Live Hub. The input is USB only, but it works for me and eventually I intend to setup a dedicated HTPC cum music server later in the year.

So as of now my system is WDTV Live Hub based network drive -> a strong Wi-Fi router ->Macbook Air ->Norge 2060 ->Wharfedale 9.1s planted on Tono system stands.

As I built this system piece by piece, (first the amp and speaker last month, then the stands and most recently the DAC - the sound quality has had a significant jump with each step making it my personal Hi-Fi discovery journey from being an absolute noob. Couldnt have been more pleased at the process!!).

I have a few more steps lined up - to run the MPD server on the mac and using a client app on my windows mango phone to control the player so that I can continue being lazy on my listening couch :p.

Will you please PM me Name and address of the Dealer ?
Is it Prestine Audio, Parsik Hills, Belapur?

Thanks in advence.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back