Dac

sbrijnath

Hello All,

I have just joined this forum - I have a Cyrus Stream X (brand new) and a set of Quads 306 (pre-amp and amp) - I just found the Quad's (1987 Vintage) - and have tested them and they work perfectly with a CD - the salesperson forgot to tell me that the Stream X needed a DAC (the XP at double the price has a DAC and Amp built in).

I listened to the KEF R500 / Q Series yesterday - am awaiting the R700 to be delivered to the showroom

I am now faced with a couple of choices

(1) Scrap the Quads entirely (difficult to do because emotionally attached) - and buy a Digital Amp - what would people suggest

(2) Buy a DAC - I have no exposure to these - what is available in India and given the set up, FLAC/ AAL to Cyrus to DAC to QUAD to KEF speakers , ehich DAC is appropriate;

(3) Replace Cyrus Stream X with (say) a Stream XP - at a cost of INR 45K more - inbuilt DAC and Amp

(4) Alternate speakers ?

With regards to all
sbrijnath

I think a DAC should do it. Arcam rDAC and/or Emotiva XDA-2 are good DACs. Music Fidelity M1 DAC is also very good but more expensive. Then there is Cambridge Audio DACmagic plus which is rated as one star below.

I am not aware of the prices in India but you could google around. Asus Xonar Essence Muses edition is available around 24K.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back