DacMagic MK2 - Review

Re: DacMagic MK2 - Arrived

Congrats Ram, me too ordered the Caiman. Hopefully should arrive by next week.Maybe we can have Caiman vs DM shootout, if possible.

Ram, with the DAC, apart from any negligible/subjective difference, do you think i'll be missing something by not adding a decent CDP to my setup(just have sony dvdp) .Of course, dont want to get the upgrade itch for a while at least.

Congrates on purchase.:clapping:
So now moderator will write rev for us.:D

MBR & Cooltoad, will be eagerly looking forward to the comparison between the CA DM & the Caiman; do try to make it happen soon!

MBR & Cooltoad, will be eagerly looking forward to the comparison between the CA DM & the Caiman; do try to make it happen soon!

I will like to get rev from Indian ears & taste than others.:licklips:

I will like to get rev from Indian ears & taste than others.:licklips:

That a good idea!
It makes perfect sense to have reviews from Indian ears Why doesn't one of us start a thread on different audio products and give ratings. We can standeridize on the basis of some priorities.

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

If this is taking place somewhere in Chennai, maybe we can also compare the HTPC soundcard with these DAC solutions and figure exactly each one of these solutions stand vis a vis sound quality.

If this is taking place somewhere in Chennai, maybe we can also compare the HTPC soundcard with these DAC solutions and figure exactly each one of these solutions stand vis a vis sound quality.

Do you have a HTPC? If yes, then we can do it at your place. I can ask cool also to join. WHat say?

Do you have a HTPC? If yes, then we can do it at your place. I can ask cool also to join. WHat say?

My place may not be a good idea this month as we are going to have guests in and out due to a relative's marriage.

But I am OK with getting my HTPC along to a common place if that would work.

Okay guys, here is a very quick review.

DM version DM2 MK2i. Its the older one done by Pink Traingle with Philips TDA. This is not the latest version.

Listened to DM + CD 48, DM + CD63, DM + WDTV, DM + Pioneer, DM + Oppo, DM + PS2

DM + CD48: The difference btw this and a standalone CD48 was in gain (vloume), depth of instruments, and bass was more tight.

DM + CD63SE KI: Same as above though bass was just a little better than CD63 SEKI very mariginal so not a big improvement over a standalone CD63SE KI

WD TV + DM: WOW!!!!!!!!!! DM made the WD sound really so good. Played same flacs ripped from CDs, they all sounded a notch better than CD63SEKI. Now I am really going get another WD live or XT and make it as my dedicated Music PLayer in my bedroom.

DM+ Pioneer: It was okay, the sound was screeching and not that smooth or warm. I dont know the Pio model will let Venkat the honours. Till now I though transport makes little difference but realized its not. But I think I have to redo this test. So dont read too much into this.

DM + PS2: WOW!!!! I was stunned, bcos I never considered PS2 as a transport. We did play the DM with Pioner and the music was crappy but with PS2 it was better than SE63

DM + Oppo: Well not a night and day difference but never the less difference enough which lets you enjoy the music bcos of gain in volume, clarity, depth of bass. Infact, my wife and venkat's wife instantly enjoyed what played via Oppo and DM.

So quick last statement:
1. If you already have good CDP then DM is not much of a use for you.
2. DM makes a huge difference to WD kind media players, no there was no clipping etc, and the guitar in Varnam Aiyiram was heavenly. Even if you have a good DVDp like oppo etc this will take the music to mid range CDP zone.

More detailed review soon.

Venkat: Can you pls post some pics pls and your trademark detailed review.

P.S: one funny thing happened. When we played Oppo alone, it sounded pathetic and me and Venkat were totally lost how this could happen or after hearing DM did our expectation shoot too high. Then I removed the Optical Out cable from Oppo and then played it and Oppo was back to its normal. Looks like even a non-connected Opti Out cable cuts the sounds stage. So lesson was ensure you connect only whats required :)

Last edited:
Hi Ram,

That was a very precise review. Thanks. Seems a DAC won't do much for my CDP. You might have saved some moolah for guys like me.:)

cheers,
sri

Thanks for review-

What I gained,
So 63KI was very close to DM(as single player)
PS2 + DM had best results.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back