DAC's

Hi Gopi, Many thanks for the pricing info. Much appreciated.

Prasad... at the risk of sounding Obtuse, I would beg to differ on the transport front. Transports DO make a HUGE difference... I have heard a CEC transpoort, and I know, that it changes the sound, as much as a change in the DAC ( Technically, such a big change is probably diofficult to explain ).
The Oppo CD players have always been praised as EXCELLENT TRANSPORTS... sadly, half read prose has traslated that to me EXCELLENT CD players... which (IMHO) they are NOT.

The bottom line, you cant make silk out of a pig's ear... ;)

My primary interest is to dabble in HDD playback, and I am looking for a mid priced DAC for that... to get my feet wet. I do not see this replacing / bettering my CD playback for now.

The DAC to beat at a reasonable price seems to be the BENCHMARK ( US $ 1000 ) and I doubt if the Cambridge will better it.. its only a matter of how close it will come to the Benchmark.

The Benchmark too, I would rate as Mid-Fi.......

Just my 2 cents...

amp_nut, I am currently looking for a mid fi dac. I really wanted to buy Benchmark DAC1. But I am staying away from it because of the sound signature. Its considered to be very very detailed but dry. So, it might not be your cup of tea. On the same price range and often compared to DAC1 and a richer and warm sounding DAC is Lavry DA10.

regarding transport, it will definitely make a difference. The error and jitter are 2 things that definitely affect the sound. However, the returns on buying a costlier transport might not be as much as putting more money on your dac.

Hi,

Amp_Nut: Don't shoot the messenger :confused: I assume your comments were in reply to Venkat's comments about transport.

I, personally, do not have any experience with DACs as I have never used one. I saw the interest over this DAC in other forums. So, being an owner of a fine CA AVR, I dutifully informed this forum.

However, I do understand the technology behind it. Still, I have a few questions of my own.

The errors that Gopi mentioned is mainly because of reading the data from a spinning disc. I believe they are categorized as the C1/C2 errors for a CD (and P1/P2 errors for a DVD). However, you have excellent software such as EAC (Introduction � Exact Audio Copy - A 6moons.com award winner) that can take care of the errors while copying the bit perfect data to a hard drive.

Talking about jitter, I know if definitely affects the SPDIF and the Toslink connections. Does it affect the USB connections also? If it does not or even affects with a lesser intensity, you can always copy the bit perfect data to a USB drive and play using the DAC. I am not sure how much you would have to spend to get a better "transport" than this.

Feel free to shoot me on this one ;)

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

Prasad, I was comparing primarily different CD players, not against a Hard Disk Drive. Actually, stereophile has an article where even the USB jitter was tracked and seen how it affected the performance. I agree that you can make an exact audio copy into a HDD. But, while playing through the USB, still the DAC doesn't have its own memory and its doing the processing real time. So, jitter can still be there. my 2 cents, not an expert in this matter :)

hi guys!

did any one of u try the DAC X or the DAC XP from CYRUS?

it is one of the best dacs that i have auditioned so far, simply mindblowing.
the DAC X has dual mono upgradeable dac cards which upsamples all six input sources and reclock the digital signal for processing in CYRUS's latest decoder engine. this clearly means that older or less capable products with stereo digital audio outputs can be upgraded and improved by connecting through the DAC X.

THE DAC XP is a pre-amp equipped DAC X decoder with six digital and two analog inputs. the preamp is a dual mono fully balanced design.

Hi Gopi, Many thanks for the pricing info. Much appreciated.

Prasad... at the risk of sounding Obtuse, I would beg to differ on the transport front. Transports DO make a HUGE difference... I have heard a CEC transpoort, and I know, that it changes the sound, as much as a change in the DAC ( Technically, such a big change is probably diofficult to explain ).
The Oppo CD players have always been praised as EXCELLENT TRANSPORTS... sadly, half read prose has traslated that to me EXCELLENT CD players... which (IMHO) they are NOT.

The bottom line, you cant make silk out of a pig's ear... ;)

My primary interest is to dabble in HDD playback, and I am looking for a mid priced DAC for that... to get my feet wet. I do not see this replacing / bettering my CD playback for now.

The DAC to beat at a reasonable price seems to be the BENCHMARK ( US $ 1000 ) and I doubt if the Cambridge will better it.. its only a matter of how close it will come to the Benchmark.

The Benchmark too, I would rate as Mid-Fi.......

Just my 2 cents...

Amp Nut I've personally heard the DAC-1 and the DAC-1 USB many a times and let me tell you there are dozens of lesser name DACs both built in the US and from the far east that do a far better job than the benchmark for half the price. To my ears, the Channel Island VDA-2 sounds significantly better than the benchmark and costs half the price. There's lots of value for money to be found if one looks beyond the well known names in hifi.

Prasad, I was comparing primarily different CD players, not against a Hard Disk Drive. Actually, stereophile has an article where even the USB jitter was tracked and seen how it affected the performance. I agree that you can make an exact audio copy into a HDD. But, while playing through the USB, still the DAC doesn't have its own memory and its doing the processing real time. So, jitter can still be there. my 2 cents, not an expert in this matter :)

Prasad, Gopi, USB is not the only way to read digital music data from a PC. High end sound cards come with all all kinds of connections including HDMI now.

Yes, either a CD player or a HDD can introduce jitter. If you are using a good drive from manufacturers such as Seagate, Hitachi, Western Digital or Maxtor, the chances of your getting accurate data is very high. These guys have been designed for strenuous work and are tested also for such. Since they are completely sealed and closed units, external damage due to dust etc., do not exist.

Some of these manufacturers make special drives for audio/video.

Cheers

I have been using a benchmarkmedia.com DAC1 modified by empiricalaudio.com. I use computer as a source streaming into the DAC.
I think this is the way to go.
--spend on High Quality DAC and save the cost of CD player/transport.
--browsing your music is fun and easy
--online music downloads full CD quality and even 24/96 available from
--linnrecords.com
--hdtracks.com
--musicgiants.com
--itrax.com
--no heartbreaks caused by your skipping CDs or CD gone bad.

Completely agree with above.

I was searching for DACs < $100, and found this USB DAC cable from Headphonia for $59 including shipping worldwide

http://www.headphonia.com/::10068.html

Seems like a pretty elegant solution, in both 3.5mm and RCA out avatars. Specs include

PCM2706/7 USB Digital Receiver
Wolfson WM8740 High-End DAC
Analog AD8656 Ultra-Low Noise Buffer

Last edited:
Using

DAC Name: Assemblage DAC 2.7
Bit Rate: 24
Sampling Rate: 96kHz
SNR: 109dB
Inputs: BNC, AES, Toslink
Outputs: RCA
Cost: $1400 ?

Other DACs i own, Denon DVD-5000, Elektor Audio DAC2000 with discrete output stage.
Previously owned DACs : Parasound DAC-1100H/D (3 of them), Scott nixon USB Chibi (2 of them), Bel Canto DAC 2, Audio GD-Reference 1, Assemblage DAC 2.0, Assemblage DAC 2.6, Sonic Frontiers TransDAC, Juli@ sound card, EMU 0404 sound card.

Since this thread seems to be more active than the other DAC threads, reposting my query here in the hope of getting some feedback or user experience with the candidate DACs listed below.

"Hi,
Posting here since my question is exactly the title of the thread. Except I have narrowed down to the following candidates, listed in no particular order:

M-Audio Transit $70

NuForce uDAC $99
FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

HRT MusicStreamer $99
SoundStage! - The Digital Domain - High Resolution Technologies MusicStreamer Digital-to-Analog Converter (5/2009)

EMU 0202 $99
EMU 0404 and 0202 Compared - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Fubar II $137
6moons audio reviews: Audio Candy from Audio Magic, BPT, Eastern Electric, Firestone Audio & Skylan

Let me describe the system I am trying to configure for my friend, in which the DAC will play an important role:
It is a system that is built for both stereo and HT use. WHF 9.5s form the fronts, and the rest of the 9 series for centre and surround. A NAD T742 AVR (5.1) is used as a preamp, which connects to a Marantz PM7001 (in pure power amp mode). The 7001 powers the fronts and the NAD powers the centre, sub, and surrounds. An HTPC connects to an old Creative soundblaster external card via USB. The Creative connects to the NAD inputs via RCA analog. Foobar with an ASIO plugin bypasses the horrible default Win audio drivers, directly to USB.

The system sounds balanced (to our ears at least). The NAD and Marantz sounds complement each other and the 9.5's characteristics. However, I do feel the Creative is the weak link currently and needs to be improved. Can the forum members please rate these DACS with respect to how well they would suit this particular system's sound signature? Is the $37 of the Fubar II worth the sonic upgrade over the NuForce and HRT Streamer? Is the EMU still better than the others? My friend's budget cannot exceed around $150 so we are not looking at costlier DACs, though I know they exist and sound beautiful.

Thanks for all advice and help in advance,
Jinx."

Since this thread seems to be more active than the other DAC threads, reposting my query here in the hope of getting some feedback or user experience with the candidate DACs listed below.

"Hi,
Posting here since my question is exactly the title of the thread. Except I have narrowed down to the following candidates, listed in no particular order:

M-Audio Transit $70

NuForce uDAC $99
FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

HRT MusicStreamer $99
SoundStage! - The Digital Domain - High Resolution Technologies MusicStreamer Digital-to-Analog Converter (5/2009)

EMU 0202 $99
EMU 0404 and 0202 Compared - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Fubar II $137
6moons audio reviews: Audio Candy from Audio Magic, BPT, Eastern Electric, Firestone Audio & Skylan

Let me describe the system I am trying to configure for my friend, in which the DAC will play an important role:
It is a system that is built for both stereo and HT use. WHF 9.5s form the fronts, and the rest of the 9 series for centre and surround. A NAD T742 AVR (5.1) is used as a preamp, which connects to a Marantz PM7001 (in pure power amp mode). The 7001 powers the fronts and the NAD powers the centre, sub, and surrounds. An HTPC connects to an old Creative soundblaster external card via USB. The Creative connects to the NAD inputs via RCA analog. Foobar with an ASIO plugin bypasses the horrible default Win audio drivers, directly to USB.

The system sounds balanced (to our ears at least). The NAD and Marantz sounds complement each other and the 9.5's characteristics. However, I do feel the Creative is the weak link currently and needs to be improved. Can the forum members please rate these DACS with respect to how well they would suit this particular system's sound signature? Is the $37 of the Fubar II worth the sonic upgrade over the NuForce and HRT Streamer? Is the EMU still better than the others? My friend's budget cannot exceed around $150 so we are not looking at costlier DACs, though I know they exist and sound beautiful.

Thanks for all advice and help in advance,
Jinx."

I had the M-Audio Sonica and it was not that great sounding.
But for the budget you are having, you do not have choice on audiophile quility DAC.

Other alternate you can look at is M-Audio USB Audiophile

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back