DAC's

IMHO, avoid the USB interface for the sound card / DAC... ads LOADS of Jitter. At this price point, Use USB only with a Laptop... where you cannot put in an (internal) sound card.

Stereophile's Jan 2010 issue has rave reviewed the Xonar Essence soundcard by Asus.

The review says it Far outstrips the EMU 0404.

The Xonar Essence soundcard is priced at approx US $ 200 making it just outside yr budget, but I think I saw some E-Retailer selling it for Rs 8,500.

Maybe cheaper in your local computer market ???

Last edited:
IMHO, avoid the USB interface for the sound card / DAC... ads LOADS of Jitter. At this price point, Use USB only with a Laptop... where you cannot put in an (internal) sound card.

Stereophile's Jan 2010 issue has rave reviewed the Xonar Essence soundcard by Asus.

The Xonar Essence soundcard is priced at approx US $ 200 making it just outside yr budget, but I think I saw some E-Retailer selling it for Rs 8,500.

Half the truth to be honest. Sync USB is horrid with regards to jitter. Its a completely avoidable system and PCI/PCI-E solutions are a much better option.

However Async USB is probably the best interface as far as avoiding transport jitter out of a PC is concerned.

Do you mind sharing why you claim that the USB interface has more jitter than the other ones?

Actually the USB 2 interface produces less jitter as compared to, say, SPDIF interfaces.

Here is a nice article on jitter and USB interface. FWIW, I've been using the USB interface of my dac with PC for almost a year now with out any issues what so ever.

Nice to see an active interest in the topic.

My comments FWIW

1. unleash_me said:
FWIW, I've been using the USB interface of my dac with PC for almost a year now with out any issues what so ever.

USB DACs DO Work, and reliably too ! However, the Sound Quality is less than ideal, due to higher jitter.

As an example, one can use a DVD player to play Audio CDs and it will work reliably... but the Sound Quality will not match that of a Good CD player ( if you system is of a calibre that can differentiate )

Yes, the USB Article by Ayre is VERY Good. :clapping:

2. reignofchaos said:
Half the truth to be honest.

Can you please elaborate ?? :confused:

3. thevortex said:
Do you mind sharing why you claim that the USB interface has more jitter than the other ones?

The regular ( Not async) USB Interface does not output data in time with any clock what so ever.

It simply dumps data packets, as an when convenient for the system.

Infact the USB stream does not even Have a Clock / timing pulse. It is "Inferred' from the data received !

( Incidentally, Jitter is the small variations in timing of the signal pulses, compared to a master clock. Ideally, there should be a master clock that, like a music conductor, forces the bits to stream at a specific time. The dcS DAC for example can use an external ATOMIC CLOCK to provide an absolute reference timing signal !

A Virtual clock can also be used and timing Infered... as in a USB interface... but its a compromise solution, of using a readily available computer interface, which is not ideal for this application )

The ideal interface is the I2S bus, but thats another story.....

Last edited:
Sometimes DAC with more jitter but well designed may sound better than with lesser jitter one ...found many people taking .

PC as a audio source is preferred for reasons we all know.

Completely agree with above.

I was searching for DACs < $100, and found this USB DAC cable from Penguin Amps for $66.5 including shipping worldwide

PenguinAmp.com - USB DAC Cable with 3.5mm Mini Plug 75cm (30'')

Seems like a pretty elegant solution, in both 3.5mm and RCA out avatars. Specs include

PCM2706/7 USB Digital Receiver
Wolfson WM8740 High-End DAC
Analog AD8656 Ultra-Low Noise Buffer

This cable when fed from miniRegulator(made by diy audio member coffin) power supply will do very well for the price.

Yes, the USB Article by Ayre is VERY Good. :clapping:

2. reignofchaos said:

Can you please elaborate ?? :confused:

You answered your own question :). I was simply pointing to the fact that Async USB is actually a very reliable and low jitter interface if implemented properly. I interpreted your first post as being a blanket no to all USB interfaces.

You answered your own question :). I was simply pointing to the fact that Async USB is actually a very reliable and low jitter interface if implemented properly. I interpreted your first post as being a blanket no to all USB interfaces.

+1 to this. But thanks IndianEars for explaining your side of things.

Just stumbled upon a very interesting review of Benchmark's DCA1 HDR by the famous Mr. Peter Aczel. Browse to http://www.theaudiocritic.com/plog/ on your computer and scroll down on the page till you see the article. Or click on http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=40&blogId=1 to go to the article directly.

I really liked the way Peter puts things across. Some of what he says actually makes a lot of sense to me. If a DAC is transparent it should not colour the sound in any way, allowing you to enjoy the sound of the recording. According to Peter, DAC1 HDR seems to do just that.

Cheers

The DAC1 was reported to be too dry and sterile as well. Guess its a common feature in their model line up:)

cheers

If you get to listen to one of them, and I have, you'll disagree with him right away. Lack of bass, too much tops that sound close to metallic.

It is quite possible that it does that. At the same time, it does not change the fact that the DAC1 does not colour the sound in any way, and that, in my mind, is a good feature. If the DAC1 does not alter the sound in any way, and there is lack of bass or mettalic sound, it is quite possible that other units in the chain are responsible, including possibly the recording itself.

BTW, I have listened extensively to the DAC1 (the non HDR model) connected to a Marantz CD17 Mark 3 CD Player and a Class A amplifier driving special single driver speakers. The sound, to say the least, was classy.

Cheers

Onkyo Hi-end DAC with Preamp costing a lot,specifications are good with 32bit DAC-

Onkyo Europe - P-3000R
Onkyo Launch New Range Of Hi-Fi Components : Tech Digest

Specifications-
.DIDRC (Dynamic Intermodulation Distortion Reduction Circuitry)
.Separate Digital/Analog Circuitry
.Separate Massive Transformers for Digital/Analog Circuitry (Toroidal .Transformer for Analog Circuitry)
.Separate Anti-Vibration Aluminum Panels for Top, Front, and Sides
.New Circuit Board Construction to Reduce Vibration
.PLL Ultra-Low Jitter Technology
.Sampling Rate Control (Up to 192 kHz)
.Separate Burr-Brown 192 kHz/32-Bit DACs (PCM1795) for L/R Channels
.Direct Mode
.Tone Control (Bass/Treble)
.Independent Headphone Amplifier
.Discrete Phono Equalizer
.Phono Input (MM)
.USB Digital Input for 192 kHz/32-Bit HD Audio from PC*
.5 Digital Inputs (AES/EBU, 2 Optical, and 2 Coaxial) and 1 Output (Optical)
.Separate L/R Bi-Amping-Capable Pre-Outs
.Gold-Plated, Machined Solid Brass, 19 mm-Pitch Audio Terminals
.12 V Trigger Out
.Display Dimmer (Normal/Dim/Off)
*Playback of PC audio requires dedicated software that can be downloaded from
an Onkyo website.

Had a quick daydream recently about a PC and a pair of speakers with one of these in the middle:

Cyrus 6 xpd

The daydream is upgradable too; that (at GBP 1,250) is the baby of the range!

comparisions between chips must be taken with a pinch of salt , dont you think?

the same chip features in dac's costing 300$ and 3000$
they both sound differnt
everyone would agree that its the implementation of the chip that matters together with the chip itself, doesnt it?

shanti i know would agree

for example
look at the ESS sabre
its used in 3 dacs that i know of
one costs 500$
the other is about 2000$

and if the Shantis new dac has it i think it probably costs over 5000$

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back