Dali Ikon2 MK2 Bookshelf Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the stereophile measurements page of the Ikon 6 :

DALI Ikon 6 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

You'd notice how uneven and hot the treble of the speaker is. Honestly I'm not surprised at what I heard with a spectral response such as that.

Electronics was a Symphonic Line RG10 and an Ayon CD player. We even tried it with a Leben CS600. This audition was done at ARN systems bangalore.

None of these electronics is what I'd call unrefined or grainy. In fact there were a few more speakers at the showroom which sounded perfectly good with the same electronics.

I don't think it's appropriate to term that FR as hot. There are much worse measuring speakers that are liked by people. From the same Stereophile review if you follow links to the other speakers to which it has been compared, you will find much worse measurements, yet reviewers liked those speaker and didn't term them hot.

I'd recommend you check out the FR of other speakers you heard in the same setup. What were those speakers btw? I have a feeling those speakers may have slightly rolled off highs hence a better fit in the setup you heard.

I have heard Dali Ikon at a number of places, with a number of different source/amplification. And I am yet to find someone who found Dali Ikon as "grainy". The only legit complaint I have heard about Dali Ikon is with certain amps it can sound bright. But grainy? No way.

I think you need to look into the chain again. The setup might be better suited for other speakers you auditioned. Droping Dali in a setup optimized for another speaker and then terming it hot and grainy is not correct. No speaker sounds at it's best in all setups.

A slightly forward sounding source with a slightly forward sounding amplification is a sure-shot way to have a bright sounding system. In such a setup Dali Ikon might sound a tad bright, something which you may be referring to as grainy.

The other speakers we heard were the be 718 and emerald plysics cs2 with same amplifier and source. Both of them sounded much much better than the Dali.

The other speakers we heard were the be 718 and emerald plysics cs2 with same amplifier and source. Both of them sounded much much better than the Dali.

Ah, now you are making sense. Basically you are comparing a $1400 speaker with $2800 - $3200 range speakers and are complaining that $1400 speaker was un-listenable? Fair enough! But such a comparison should come with the qualifier "Compared to speakers costing twice as much or more." Otherwise it's apples vs oranges.

As for BE 718, it's a giant killer speaker by itself. It has been very favorably compared with $6000 - $8000 speakers. It's Beryllium tweeter is very reputed, second only to Focal's Beryllium tweeter. But a huge drawback of BE 718 is it's notorious for being hard to drive. Dali Ikon glides through even not so muscular amps.

If we are comparing any speaker with speakers costing twice/2.5 times, we need to be careful about adding necessary qualifiers, including the kind of gear they were mated with. Passing blanket judgments without setting a right context isn't too helpful to people new in this hobby. People with experience need to be more careful about passing blanket statements.

Ah, now you are making sense. Basically you are comparing a $1400 speaker with $2800 - $3200 range speakers and are complaining that $1400 speaker was un-listenable? Fair enough! But such a comparison should come with the qualifier "Compared to speakers costing twice as much or more." Otherwise it's apples vs oranges.

As for BE 718, it's a giant killer speaker by itself. It has been very favorably compared with $6000 - $8000 speakers. It's Beryllium tweeter is very reputed, second only to Focal's Beryllium tweeter. But a huge drawback of BE 718 is it's notorious for being hard to drive. Dali Ikon glides through even not so muscular amps.

If we are comparing any speaker with speakers costing twice/2.5 times, we need to be careful about adding necessary qualifiers, including the kind of gear they were mated with. Passing blanket judgments without setting a right context isn't too helpful to people new in this hobby. People with experience need to be more careful about passing blanket statements.

The Indian landed cost of both the speakers was actually quite close making the Ikon a pretty bad deal - maybe a few thousand here and there - the Be718 was 98,000 rupees while the Dali was around 80,000 making it really poor value for money. Mind you this was over five years ago so prices would have climbed tremendously. The EP was a lot more expensive. Considering those circumstances, I thought the Dali wasn't a giant killer it was thought to be.

It's Beryllium tweeter is very reputed, second only to Focal's Beryllium tweeter.

Sorry OP for going OT

Ranjeet, I had read on some site that the Usher beryllium tweeter was actually not beryllium and that is the reason they came with an upgrade naming it as diamond tweeter

I have never heard the Be718 or compared it with any other speaker. Just wanted to know if others have read this and how far is it true

Or its just one more way of bringing down a product

Sorry OP for going OT

Ranjeet, I had read on some site that the Usher beryllium tweeter was actually not beryllium and that is the reason they came with an upgrade naming it as diamond tweeter

I have never heard the Be718 or compared it with any other speaker. Just wanted to know if others have read this and how far is it true

Or its just one more way of bringing down a product

The tweeter is 8% berrylium not pure Be like tad and focal. Doesn't matter much to me as it sounds rather good to my ears. Have heard the DMD tweeter as well and the difference is really marginal. Anyways all this is OT.

Yup, agree. Real Beryllium tweeter is quite expensive.

What is worse is - companies calling their tweeters Diamond tweeters and people paying for it. AFAIK, there is no tweeter made entirely of real diamond. At best it's stiffened using diamond.

Thank you Ranjeetrain for the insite I was really confused I am like you mentioned new to this and want to start small and then improve with time do have a ear for music though but not a city dweller so auditioning is near to impossible anyway will see what there is in Cochin audition wise the UAE price of the Ikon 2 id 2195 approx. per piece so India is cheaper,i wll get the Dali and when someone goes to the States get the focal 806v also it is just $600 there.Envy all you Gentlemen getting a chance to hear some good equipment it will take me a long time to get there but will make the effort.Thanks all of you again.Regards

Nice to post the UAE price list. For sure will help some people.

I will try finding out Dali prices from some dealers in NCR if they have stock.

The Indian landed cost of both the speakers was actually quite close making the Ikon a pretty bad deal - maybe a few thousand here and there - the Be718 was 98,000 rupees while the Dali was around 80,000 making it really poor value for money. Mind you this was over five years ago so prices would have climbed tremendously. The EP was a lot more expensive. Considering those circumstances, I thought the Dali wasn't a giant killer it was thought to be.

Dali Ikon 2 @80k???? Usher BE 718 @90k???? The figures you are posting are completely fictitious. The list price of Dali Ikon 2 was 44k and that of Usher BE 718 110k. I have no idea what prices you are mentioning. These figures cannot be taken as credible.

Back in 2007-8 Dali Ikon's distributor-to-dealer price was 34k. Despite depreciation of rupee and increase in price by the manufacturer, Dali Ikon Mk IIstill retails in India at about 65k (now that the dollar is 62:1). When dollar was 44:1 you can imagine the price.

Price of Dali Speakers in UAE for those interested.View attachment 14478

ajitelsy, Dali Ikon is available in NCR. I'll PM you the number. If you need help getting a price even lower than UAE prices PM me.

Thanks Ranjeet,I have ordered it form Hi-fi link Cochin they are getting it end of this month quoted 72k but said there woud be a 10% discount.If prices are better in NCR I will get it from there pl let me know should be back home on 15th.

After 10% discount you are already getting around 65k. I may use my influence to get a better price but considering that you will have to pay shipping, will it still be worth it?

Lemme know if you're game and I'll see what best I can do for you.

Dali Ikon Mk IIstill retails in India at about 65k (now that the dollar is 62:1). When dollar was 44:1 you can imagine the price.

last i know - about 3 months ago - i was quoted 115k for Dali Ikon 6 - Mark 2 in Mumbai so 80k for Ikon 2 is feasible and not un-believable.

mpw

Dali Ikon 2 @80k???? Usher BE 718 @90k???? The figures you are posting are completely fictitious. The list price of Dali Ikon 2 was 44k and that of Usher BE 718 110k. I have no idea what prices you are mentioning. These figures cannot be taken as credible.

Back in 2007-8 Dali Ikon's distributor-to-dealer price was 34k. Despite depreciation of rupee and increase in price by the manufacturer, Dali Ikon Mk IIstill retails in India at about 65k (now that the dollar is 62:1). When dollar was 44:1 you can imagine the price.

ajitelsy, Dali Ikon is available in NCR. I'll PM you the number. If you need help getting a price even lower than UAE prices PM me.

I'm talking about the Ikon 6 and that was the final landed price. I paid a total of 120k for the usher be 718 speaker + matching rws 729 stands (98k+22k) when I bought my speaker. It was from the first lot that was imported into India. Ikon 2 would have been cheaper obviously.

Last edited:
Thanks Ranjeet,I have ordered it form Hi-fi link Cochin they are getting it end of this month quoted 72k but said there woud be a 10% discount.If prices are better in NCR I will get it from there pl let me know should be back home on 15th.

I have owned a Dali Ikon 2 Mk 2 for almost 3 years now. I paid around 42-43K for them when the MRP was about 54-55k. They are very good speakers, but at a price above 65K I don't think they are worth that much. Kindly consider your purchase.

last i know - about 3 months ago - i was quoted 115k for Dali Ikon 6 - Mark 2 in Mumbai so 80k for Ikon 2 is feasible and not un-believable.

mpw

Dali Ikon 2 Mk II <> Ikon 2
Dali Ikon 6 Mk II <> Ikon 6

Dali Ikon 6 Mk I UK List = GBP 900
Dali Ikon 6 Mk II UK List = GBP 1200

Mk II prices are higher across the board. Plus, In 2014, 1 USD = 62; In 2007, 1 USD = 44

It's primary school math. What's there to speculate?

Even today I can get Dali Ikon 2 Mk II for 60k. Even at manufaturer's increased prices as well as appreciated $$$.

Anyone who wants Dali Ikon 2 Mk II @60k, welcome to PM me.

Proof of pudding!!!

Dali Ikon 2 Mk II <> Ikon 2
Dali Ikon 6 Mk II <> Ikon 6

Dali Ikon 6 Mk I UK List = GBP 900
Dali Ikon 6 Mk II UK List = GBP 1200

Mk II prices are higher across the board. Plus, In 2014, 1 USD = 62; In 2007, 1 USD = 44

It's primary school math. What's there to speculate?

Even today I can get Dali Ikon 2 Mk II for 60k. Even at manufaturer's increased prices as well as appreciated $$$.

Anyone who wants Dali Ikon 2 Mk II @60k, welcome to PM me.

Proof of pudding!!!
==============================================

ranjeetrain,

i only quoted data which i got 3 months ago when i auditioned the Dali Ikon 6 Mark 2 with Arcam FMJ 19 in Mumbai. I was quoted 115 for Dali Ikon 6 Mk2.

Thanks for all the clarification thing about the mark 1 and mark 2.. so grateful for it :cool:

BTW, math & logic goes for a toss many times in this lovely land of ours so dont give me that line.

I am sure anyone who wants the Ikon 2 would contact you and i am happy for them and for you too. ( BTW, in Mumbai, the MRP for the Ikon 2 Mark 2 is 72k and maybe one can expect a 10% discount or so.. ) which brings it to about 65k nett in Mumbai. Mumbai prices include a 4% octroi tax as well.

anyways, i see no point quibbling about a speaker which - IMO - is a bit over rated. I found the HF on some tracks a bit too sharp with the ribbon tweeter showing itself up - sometimes - not always.

good luck to the OT in his search.

A note for the OT - despite all what is said on this thread by me or anyone else - please audition for your self. Neither my ears nor anyone else's ears or opinion is supreme. For all you know - you may like it and thats what matters in the end.

mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the clarification thing about the mark 1 and mark 2.. so grateful for it :cool:

BTW, math & logic goes for a toss many times in this lovely land of ours so dont give me that line.

Just because a speaker in a particular matching isn't to your taste doesn't make it bad.

And keep the sarcasm and attitude in check. Your knowledge of audio is already visible. You want the attitude on the display too?

Don't get into a debate you can't keep up with straight face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back