Dali Ikon2 speakers

Thanks Venkarcr and Anm . i will try the amplifiers you have said. I have already auditioned the Marantz , harman kardon . Both are good . but for ikon2 i feel marantz is marginally better . The CA i didnt like at all , 640v2 did not impress me. yamaha have not tried so far.

how about Marantz Pm17 ( second hand offered in this forum ) Roksan kandy iii . not heard both the models .

Also i want a decent speaker stands for my ikon2 , where in india will i get the speaker stands.

thankyou
vijay.

what hifi rates rotel ra 05 as 5 star. I think 04 is same minus some features. You may try them. At B&W store A2V there were stands - I think they quoted it for 13k.

Thanks Venkarcr and Anm . i will try the amplifiers you have said. I have already auditioned the Marantz , harman kardon . Both are good . but for ikon2 i feel marantz is marginally better . The CA i didnt like at all , 640v2 did not impress me. yamaha have not tried so far.

how about Marantz Pm17 ( second hand offered in this forum ) Roksan kandy iii . not heard both the models .

Also i want a decent speaker stands for my ikon2 , where in india will i get the speaker stands.

thankyou
vijay.

Hello

Today i have ordered for the Marantz PM15S1 amplifier . I will be getting it within a couple of days , The Dali speakers and the cables will be delivered to me today evening . i will post my experience with the system within a couple of days.
Thankyou
Vijay.

Hi

Yesterday Morning i received the Speakers , Amplifier and cables ( Atalona ) . I connected the system and started playing my favorite music and even though the speakers and the amplifier and the CDP is not burnt in , i love the sound , I am happy with the purchase and i think it will sound even better as the time progress. At this point of time i would like to thank a few for helping me to setup this rig.

1. Venkatcr -----YOU THE MAN. It was very easy to decide a total stereo package within a couple of weeks , This was possible because of you.

2. Mridul , Saikat ---- The Gentle men who provided information regarding the difference between the Dali and Dynaudio and other brands

3. Sidharth ------The man behind my Amplifier Purchase, since you are having the same amp and have said many positive things about it , i went on to buy this amp even without auditioning,

4. ANM ----Who gave me the idea to try the beautiful Harman Kardon , even though i liked the HK , PM15S1 was better .

5. M/S.Bass Treble --- Mr.Dev, the Gentle man who supplied the Products , The Pricing and the packing is great. I would recommend this Chap to anyone . Very helpful.

I would also like to thank our moderator and all the fellow forum members , infact the last two weeks i went through the older posts in this forum and there are lot of valuable information posted by the members.
Now i have to place the speakers in such a way that i get the maximum out of my equipment.

Venkat , the budget was Rs.1,25,000/- , Rs.25K more than i planned , so i am now postponding the purchase of speaker stands and equipment rack. ( believe me i didnt steal any bank, but if this stereo is an addiction then soon i will end up in stealing - - starting from venkats home. )

I also need help from you guys regarding the speaker placement and other things . Once again THANK YOU ALL.

Best Wishes

Vijay.

Last edited:
Great feeling after spending so much money!
How do you plan to place the bookshelves?

Thats the Problem i am facing now, i have placed the amplifier , CDP and the speakers in a Table .I will be buying a rack and speaker stands only few months after.

Thankyou
Vijay

Originally Posted by abhijit15 View Post
yes Vijay How much for that amp ?
Hi Sidhart and Abhijit , the price i paid was Rs.63k
Hi Vijay,
Where did u get the Marantz amp from? 63k is a good price.
Regards and happy listening,
Aku

Hi All

Its been a week since i installed the amplifier, CDP and the speakers. I have managed to find a wooden stool:mad: to keep the speakers . I will be upgrading the stands only after a couple of months.
Now the sound from the speakers are changing . the Hi frequency has become more soft. and the bass has improved. The best part of the Dali ikon Speakers is that you dont realise that the sound is coming from the speakers , is this the way the speakers will sound or am i wrong with the placement.
How long does it take to break in , when will i hear the original quality of my setup. Even now i am very happy with the setup , will it improve further . Kindly advice.

thankyou
Vijay.

The best part of the Dali ikon Speakers is that you dont realise that the sound is coming from the speakers , is this the way the speakers will sound or am i wrong with the placement.

Dali you should place and position the speakers in the following manner.

1. Decide your regular sitting position.

2. Draw an imaginary triangle between the speakers and a point 5 feet behind your sitting position. You can even use some long strings to make sure you are getting things correct.

3. The speakers should be parallel to the two sides of the triangle.

Start with this position and listen to a few numbers. When you play some music, the objective should be that the voice of the main singer, or the sound of the main instrument should come exactly from in between the two speakers. You may have ti use the help of a friend or a relation to turn the angle of the speakers vis-a-vis the two sides of the triangle in small steps till you get the sound from the middle.

When you get this correct, and you listen to some music with your eyes closed, the speakers will seem to disappear. This is the best placement of the speakers.

How long does it take to break in , when will i hear the original quality of my setup. Even now i am very happy with the setup , will it improve further . Kindly advice.

This is a little difficult to answer. To decide when a sound is perfect is very subjective. You should read the manual of the speakers and see what they have said. With no offense, I would say anywhere between 50 to 100 hours should be more than enough. Actually what you should do is to play some music at low volumes and let it play the whole night. If you do this for a few nights, your system will be fine tuned.

Cheers

Last edited:
A second opinion here, Venkat's method is typical for most speakers and is a good starting point. However, with the Dalis which are known for much wider sweet spots, I would start with a very slight toe-in (a few degrees) and then go inwards and see how they sound. Another way is to take what Venkat described above as the starting point and toe in outwards and check for yourself. Room and environment will also play a part. What I have mentioned is what I would do in a showroom.

cheers

Hi Again

Yesterday i bought the speaker stands for the Dali ikon 2 , the sound is teriffic and i am hearing new sounds from my speakers which i have never heard before. I didnt know that the stands will make such a difference.

I have one more question , should i stick the stand and the speakers using a bluetac or leave it as it is , i am afraid someone will push it down , The base of the speaker stand is somewhat smaller then the base of the speakers , is this the way the stand should be or will i have to buy a stand which has a larger base.

Thank you
Vijay.

I have one more question , should i stick the stand and the speakers using a bluetac or leave it as it is , i am afraid someone will push it down , The base of the speaker stand is somewhat smaller then the base of the speakers , is this the way the stand should be or will i have to buy a stand which has a larger base.

I can understand your anxiety. I have read many professionals use blutac to stick the bookshelves to the stands. I suppose there is no harm in that.

If you have bought speaker stands that are made for the Dalis, you have nothing to worry.

Cheers

Last edited:
The stands top doesn't have a bolting mechanism to the speaker base? Thats what most good stands do. If it doesn't, use blu-tack.

Thanks Venkat and Reignofchaos

I am thinking of sticking the speakers and the stands using the bluetac , and i believe that there will be no compromise in sound quality due to this.
The Dali ikon2 does not have any holes in the bottom inorder to srew it with the stands.
After a month of break in , the speakers and the electronics are even better and the after placing the speakers in the stand the sound and the imaging has improved a lot.

Thankyou
Vijay

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back