Dali Zensor 3 vs Zensor 1 for fronts

Naturelover

Staff member
Hi all.
I'm planning a dedicated entertainment room 23.5' x 14' in a new home.
The stereo and HT setups will be in the same room but separate.
For the HT I plan to continue with my current Pioneer SC-LX57 AVR. Planning to go for Dali Zensor 1 for fronts and surrounds with Vokal centre. Was wondering if Zensor 3 for fronts would make more sense. Seating distance from fronts would be around 12-15 feet.
Any other speaker suggestions are also welcome but in a similar price range. Bookshelves only please.
Thanks

Zensor 1 is underrated, Zensor 3 would be a great addition to front anyday for a large room and will be preferred over Zensor 1.
Go ahead with Zensor 3 & Vokal.
Kef Q300 as front and Q200 C as Center is much better Combo in my opinion.

Not sure what you mean.
Right now I'm not looking at what subwoofers to get. That will come later. This thread is only for the fronts, centre and surrounds.
O sorry It got confusing. The reason I asked is if to decide between the Z1 or the Z3, Z1's with 2 subwoofers can be an excellent combo.

Z3 any day for your room size. The slightly bigger driver adds that bit of low end over the Z1. However, Z1 is not a bad speaker and would make for an excellent all round Z1 setup. Take a call based on your budget and speaker form factor.

MaSh

Dali Zenser3/Vokal/1 is absolutely fantastic combination for 5.0 set and you will enjoy it for a longer time. There are numerous combination of such speakers which are ultimate as a 5.0 set like Elac B6/Center/B5, Wharfdale Diamond 225/220c/220, Polk RTiA 3/CSIA 4/RTiA 1, Monitor Audio Bronze 2/Center/1 . Now placement of the speakers plays a key role in selection as wall mount or Stand mount. Stand mounted will increase the budget for stands which can be save in case of wall mounted. Again for wall mounted option, front and rear ported come as a major factor as rear ported speakers need sufficient space behind to breath. Dali, Elac are rear ported , Monitor Audio, Polk are front ported and Wharfdale are down ported. All mentioned speakers are very good for HT setup. For Dali, Elac you will need separate shelf on wall as both are rear ported. Monitor Audio, Wharfdale also need shelf as they are heavy and can't be mounted on a single nail. Only Polk RTiA can be wall mounted on a single nail safely. Many FM have above mentioned speakers HT setup so you can ask advice on sound quality, mounting options, price, matching receiver , performance in multi channel and stereo mode . With Polk you have one more advantage of using Polk OWM5/3 as Atmos speakers. One last combination cheap but very good option who are on budget is Boston Acoustics A26/225/A25. All speakers have their own advantages and disadvantages so audition is the key for successful and satisfied purchase.

I'm planning a dedicated entertainment room 23.5' x 14' in a new home.
For the HT I plan to continue with my current Pioneer SC-LX57 AVR.

Thats a great room size.. Your AVR is capable of 11.1 set-up (Std layout 7.1 + Front wides + Front heights)..It would be great HT experience if you complete 11.1 set-up :)..

Planning to go for Dali Zensor 1 for fronts and surrounds with Vokal centre. Was wondering if Zensor 3 for fronts would make more sense.

For HT purpose, Zensor 1 is more than enough.. You would anyways run the speaker as "Small" with 80 Hz crossover in AVR.. So even if you use Zensor 3, it will do the same as Zensor 1 (act as a satellite only)..

Any other speaker suggestions are also welcome but in a similar price range. Bookshelves only please.

Sure.. There are some good choices.. But this would depend on your final set-up..

Also you haven't mentioned abt subwoofer..

Dali Zenser3/Vokal/1 is absolutely fantastic combination for 5.0 set and you will enjoy it for a longer time. There are numerous combination of such speakers which are ultimate as a 5.0 set like Elac B6/Center/B5, Wharfdale Diamond 225/220c/220, Polk RTiA 3/CSIA 4/RTiA 1, Monitor Audio Bronze 2/Center/1 . Now placement of the speakers plays a key role in selection as wall mount or Stand mount. Stand mounted will increase the budget for stands which can be save in case of wall mounted. Again for wall mounted option, front and rear ported come as a major factor as rear ported speakers need sufficient space behind to breath. Dali, Elac are rear ported , Monitor Audio, Polk are front ported and Wharfdale are down ported. All mentioned speakers are very good for HT setup. For Dali, Elac you will need separate shelf on wall as both are rear ported. Monitor Audio, Wharfdale also need shelf as they are heavy and can't be mounted on a single nail. Only Polk RTiA can be wall mounted on a single nail safely. Many FM have above mentioned speakers HT setup so you can ask advice on sound quality, mounting options, price, matching receiver , performance in multi channel and stereo mode . With Polk you have one more advantage of using Polk OWM5/3 as Atmos speakers. One last combination cheap but very good option who are on budget is Boston Acoustics A26/225/A25. All speakers have their own advantages and disadvantages so audition is the key for successful and satisfied purchase.

Thanks for the detailed post.
Each Zensor 1 comes with four rubber buffers which are to be stuck to the rear of the box for wall mounting option. I do have a pair wall mounted in my bedroom stereo.

For HT purpose, Zensor 1 is more than enough.. You would anyways run the speaker as "Small" with 80 Hz crossover in AVR.. So even if you use Zensor 3, it will do the same as Zensor 1 (act as a satellite only)..
That is one of my concerns. Do larger front bookshelves have any advantage once the crossover is set in the AVR? This setup is only for HT. There will probably be no stereo music played.
Thats a great room size.. Your AVR is capable of 11.1 set-up (Std layout 7.1 + Front wides + Front heights)..It would be great HT experience if you complete 11.1 set-up :)..
It's not a true 11.1 AVR. Both, front height and wides, can be connected but it will play only one pair, not both, at a time depending upon the original movie sound.
Also you haven't mentioned abt subwoofer..
That will come later :)

That is one of my concerns. Do larger front bookshelves have any advantage once the crossover is set in the AVR? This setup is only for HT. There will probably be no stereo music played.

Between Z1 & Z3, Z3 will have slightly higher SPL (88 dB) on offer than Z1 (86.5 dB).. Other than that, i believe there are no advantages when you will use the crossover in the AVR..

It's not a true 11.1 AVR. Both, front height and wides, can be connected but it will play only one pair, not both, at a time depending upon the original movie sound.

Sad.. Being 11.2 capable AVR, not sure why Pioneer restricted it to only front wides / front heights.. My older Onkyo though only 9.2 capable, had support for both wides & heights..

So that leaves you with 9.1 layout (Front heights) to fully utilise Dolby PL IIz & Dts Neo X all the time you play movies..

Consider small satellite speakers, which have the ability to tilt & turn (mount).. Easy for mounting & flexible with placement too.. Something like Polk OWM 5..

9 pieces x OWM 5 (or other similar models) should be great.. Taga Harmony?..

Between Z1 & Z3, Z3 will have slightly higher SPL (88 dB) on offer than Z1 (86.5 dB).. Other than that, i believe there are no advantages when you will use the crossover in the AVR..

Consider small satellite speakers, which have the ability to tilt & turn (mount).. Easy for mounting & flexible with placement too.. Something like Polk OWM 5..

9 pieces x OWM 5 (or other similar models) should be great.. Taga Harmony?..

Would small satellites be good enough in this room with this AVR? Wouldn't bookshelves like Zensor 1 be much better? I am having a Quad Lite 5.1 (excellent sub) and two pairs of Morel SI-2 Soundspots. In fact I was advised right on this forum to upgrade my speakers to bookshelves when I upgraded to the Pioneer from an older AVR :). The Quad Lites are mounted on Wharfe style brackets which allow all direction tilting. The Morels tilt only in the vertical plane but they are mounted on the wall with a central screw which gives further directional flexibility.

Attachments

• Quad_LITE_system.pdf
    720.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Morel SoundSpot Catalog.pdf
    521.7 KB · Views: 10
Would small satellites be good enough in this room with this AVR?

The Quad lite 5.1 is already a satellite system with 86dB efficiency and 70Hz response (Spec).. But should be able to hit 80 Hz/100 Hz comfortably..

Wouldn't bookshelves like Zensor 1 be much better?

Z1 being as efficient as Quald Lite, can hit slightly lower (bigger dimensions).. So what you might gain here might be in terms of bass.. But the crossover is 80 Hz in AVR negates that...

I have said the above from my understanding.. But, if you have better technical suggestion, you can then decide ..

I am having a Quad Lite 5.1 (excellent sub) and two pairs of Morel SI-2 Soundspots.

you are already having decent speakers.. Don't think you will benefit much from upgrade..

IMO, you need an upgrade in AVR :)..

Last edited:
Back