Data Error:Cyclic Redundancy Check

naviworks

i had to format my external hard disk and lost about 200GB stuff because of this error:sad:....i once again got this error when i tried to open a file copied from my friends computer:mad:.....
googled abt this n didnt get a convincing solution...is there any way to overcome this error?

CRC error indicates data corruption. This could happen due to various reasons:

1.>Bad HDD
The Hard Disk is gone for a toss, and has developed bad sectors. This can be confirmed if you hook up the HDD to another system, and get the same errors on copying files from the HDD

2.>Bad RAM
The RAM has become flaky. It also happens that sometimes your Motherboard does not play nice with the RAM, and you'd get this kind of errors. You could test the RAM with memtest86+. Google for it, and download. If it gets stuck performing checks, or detects errors during checks, you have nailed the culprit.

3.>Bad PSU
If your PSU is not able to supply sufficient juice, or is not able to regulate the voltages/currents within the specified tolerances for ATX specs, then you'd see this kind of behaviour. In my experience, the PSU that comes along with the cabinet is crap, and gets flaky after 1-2 years of usage. The only way to confirm would be to hook your system to another PSU.

Well, if its the 1st case, then i'd say there's no chance of recovery. Recovery should be possible in the other 2 cases, because your data on the HDD wouldn't be affected.

Actually, even in the 1st case, there are companies specializing in data recovery which can get your data back. But these services are very expensive, usually costing much more the HDD itself.

IMO, it's not worth the effort, time & money if the data involved is some music, movies, games etc. It would work out cheaper to buy these anew.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back