dCS Debussy

Cool, thanks for the update. Your post has me looking at dCS, the debussy seem to be going for a reasonable price in the US second-hand market.

Did you consider upgrading within the Bricasti line? The M12 or M21. Both have built in analog output stages.
Yes Essrand, those options are also available to me, in fact the m1se that I have also has a wonderful line stage/volume control. However no dealer for Bricasti in India, so it will have to be a pickup when I go to US (and with Covid who knows when International travel will be safe), so this is an easier option. Anyways am in no hurry, will consider this down the road.
Cheers,
Sid

Romance continues and I recently introduced dCS Puccini clock to the equation. And it just does not take it to next level but changes the entire experience. Since I am not a skilled writer, would be tough to describe but it is as if paintings have been turned into sculptures. 3-D is more 3-D, instruments and voices have more definite shape/body. I mean, the intimacy has gone up by several notches.

A word of caution to those eying on dCS DAC - do not spend unless you have money to buy their clock too.
And to those who have money to do anything, please do not jump the gun and buy the clock thinking you can just hook it up and it will work. In order to make it work you will have to clock both your DAC and source with the same clock.

I can only say that if you research and get confused, do PM me to discuss before spending.

I have already burnt my hands but it has been healing fast with more and more listening of music :).

IMG_0260-compressed.JPGIMG_0261-compressed.JPG

Congrats on another dcs product.
So what source do you use now ?
Very few have an option to connect to external clock and how many devices in total the clock can connect to?

Yes, clocking dac and the source to the same clock benefits a lot. In the past when I had digital as my source, I used to have the top of the line Esoteric transport and dac and they were both clocked to the same clock.

Congrats on another dcs product.
So what source do you use now ?
Very few have an option to connect to external clock and how many devices in total the clock can connect to?

Thanks, Rikav.
My current source is a Dante network to which my Windows computer is attached. In order to clock my Dante network, I had to buy another piece of gear (Focusrite RedNet 6) that has word clock input.

The one I have can clock 4 devices. There are limits but not such that we need to worry.

Out of curiosity, fed a 12+ year old Benchmark DAC1 with dCS Puccini clocked AES signal and as anticipated, turned this okay okay DAC to a very listenable DAC. I am again tempted to say that those who have solid digital front end without clock, should try one. As you all know that dCS would be a big investment for most of us but if you really like to know what digital can do, without clock you are still at this side of the river and only a good clock can take you to the other side and on the other side the orderliness of presentation of music is stunning.

I am so impressed that before upgrading to any other DAC, I would first try to get next level (from what I currently have) clock from dCS.

Congratulations on a mighty fine piece of hardware. Its one of those pieces of equipment that someone like me checks out online, sighs with a "maybe someday" and move on. Just wondering if you also considered a Level 3 or 4 Audio Note Tube DAC in your search.

I have heard good things about the Nyquist. There is one for sale on audiogon. DCS has a balance control which is useful at times for my erratic right ear which occasionally has a slight imbalance.

I am into headphones. My amp is a Wells Audio Headtrip Reference and I have Abyss 1266 TC and Hifiman Susvara headphones.

The amp and headphones are the best available today.
Brinkman has a dealer in Mumbai.

You can direct message me and I will share the contact

No, never considered Audio Note but if ever situation becomes I may not look at it because in their range there is hardly anything with balanced output.

Dac arrives tomorrow. I am negotiating on the clock. I already have a Lumin U1 as a streamer so won’t be buying the upsampler ( at least that’s what I have told myself for now :) ) and I only stream so won’t be buying the transport for sure.

I am planning to be content with the dac and clock. Let’s see how it goes.

Dac arrives tomorrow. I am negotiating on the clock. I already have a Lumin U1 as a streamer so won’t be buying the upsampler ( at least that’s what I have told myself for now :) ) and I only stream so won’t be buying the transport for sure.

I am planning to be content with the dac and clock. Let’s see how it goes.

Sorry for providing advice without you asking for it :), based on my experience, clock is a must. I loaned my clock to a friend and have not been (able to) listening to my system since.

With Vivaldi, I think network streaming capability is built into upsampler and though I do not have any experience with Lumin, something tells me that anything from dCS would be better. If not upsampler, probably dCS Network Bridge some day?

Awaiting your impression on Vivaldi.

All advice is welcome.

I have had the Rossini and clock in my setup for the last month and I absolutely understand the value of clock in a dcs chain. That’s why I have the urge to add it immediately. I will have the Rossini clock to test and taste the benefits ( though not 100% as the Vivaldi clock is supposedly better at twice the price) of it on my Vivaldi.

The Lumin U1 is a network transport of the highest caliber and I use it as a Roon endpoint in my setup. It also has great upsampling options. But the Vivaldi upsampler will have the benefit of dual AES output, which is the optimised and preferred input for their DAC’s

Decisions, and that too very expensive ones, have to be taken very soon

Last edited:
CONGRATS! on the dCS.

Would love to know yr comparision between the Lumin n dCS.

Is the Lumin a leaner, more airy sound ?

Thanks

CONGRATS! on the dCS.

Would love to know yr comparision between the Lumin n dCS.

Is the Lumin a leaner, more airy sound ?

Thanks
Thanks. The Lumin U1 is only a transport and doesn’t have a dac build in, so it feeds the Vivaldi , in my case, via USB.

In general, Lumin house sound, for their streamer + Dac products, are on the slightly warm side of neutral.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back