Dealing with ennui: So, what do I do while waiting for my amplifier to warm up?

Analogous

The buject line is not entirely misleading. I wanted to understand the often mentioned phonomenon “warm up time” for amplifiers to start sounding good every time they are switched on. With tube amplifiers it even shows up a bit as the tubes start glowing and the sound appears. Any simple to understand explanation of this phenom?

The second part of the question seeks “interesting” things to do while waiting for the oven to warm up.
Interesting personal choices, good ideas welcome!
It seems there is no consensus on how long is considered “warmed up”….some say a minute others say 20 mins and some manufacturers say never “switch off” the amplifier (Eg: Naim). For this discussion shall we assume a 5 minute waiting time for the amp to warm up?
(“make a cup of…or a drink, take a nap, knitting” type suggestions come to mind immediately, but we can go on to more creative suggestions if you like)

I am sure the time can be spent reading some interesting liner note. It will put one in a particular frame of mind to engage in some deep listening of the album. Of course some may feel differently about reading a liner note before listening. But overall I have found the exercise quite educative. Sometimes the old ones can get quite amusing too for their forthrightness and candour, or sometimes for getting the appraisal completely wrong.

I just warm myself up to the music as the amp warms up. :).
Othertimes when I have some short work in hand, switch on the setup and get on with the work before moving back to the music.

One "interesting" thing I did was to find out what gears would not need a "preconditioning" of one about hour to start sounding good, and then sold off my offending tube preamp and power amp.

However much some folks try to justify (or even romanticise it in a strange audio way) the wait is wasted electricity and time, especially time.

PS: isn't terming it ennui going too far?

I do the same thing too. Switch on the amp and play the music.
There is no fixed timer as all amps will again differ.
The general consensus is approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
So eventually after this time, it will sound better.
Till then ... listen to the music, not the sound.

I just switch on everything and start playing music. If you and your system need warming up, switch on your system and you start putting ice cubes in the ice bucket, clean the glass and pull out the liter bottle of your liking. It takes only 5-10 minutes and you and your system are ready to roll. :) ;)
Just enjoy the music without worrying too much about these issues.

Flip through the albums, pull out from the sleeve, appreciate the beautifully preserved grooves by holding at an angle against the sunlight, place on the platter and run the brush gently, dip the stylus in the gel block.
As the platter sets into a steady roll, pour a glass of single malt on ice, bend over the table and drop the needle, settle on the sofa, look at the artwork and read the liner notes as music starts flowing. Your amp is warm, as is the cockles of your heart.
Enjoy the good life. You have earned it.

At my age, I invariably forget that I have switched on my gear and get distracted with other things. So by the time I realise, it's been a good 20 minutes. Personally, it would kill me if I had to deliberately wait for the gear to warm up to sound better.

Depends on available time. If time is not a constraint then

I used to surf the movie collection in my hard drive to zero in on the title to watch during warmup time.

I am sure the time can be spent reading some interesting liner note. It will put one in a particular frame of mind to engage in some deep listening of the album. Of course some may feel differently about reading a liner note before listening. But overall I have found the exercise quite educative. Sometimes the old ones can get quite amusing too for their forthrightness and candour, or sometimes for getting the appraisal completely wrong.
I am mostly streaming now a days, but I guess reading about the album, art and artists is possible on line is similar: a good suggestion, I will use this. Thanks!

One "interesting" thing I did was to find out what gears would not need a "preconditioning" of one about hour to start sounding good, and then sold off my offending tube preamp and power amp.

However much some folks try to justify (or even romanticise it in a strange audio way) the wait is wasted electricity and time, especially time.

I have just started my journey in the opposite direction (from SS to tubes)
I was trying to tap into the experience of travelers who have been down this path before me.
Ennui? The wait is tolerable first few minutes but after 10 or 15 minutes of silence it intensifies to ….ennui?
I thought some interesting displacement activity might help. Hence the question.

Any suggestions on “ gears would not need a "preconditioning" of one about hour to start sounding good”
I was under the impression that all tube based equipment needed warm up time.
The Naim SS amp definitely sounds better over 5-10 minutes from start up, even to my not so good hearing.

If your equipment has stand-by mode, then I think it is a more economical option that leaving them fully on all the time.
The goal should be achieved that way as well by putting the equipment to its lowest power consumption mode.

Ennui? The wait is tolerable first few minutes but after 10 or 15 minutes of silence it intensifies to ….ennui?
I thought some interesting displacement activity might help. Hence the question.
I don't feel the Ennui per se, I usually switch on the system before dinner time, and put something to play.
After finishing My dinner and post dinner walk/talk which takes roughly about an hour with family ; then I enter the stereo room. Everything is well settled By the time I sit for listening.

Have been keeping my DAC switched on for longer hours as discussed in another thread.

I don't feel the Ennui per se, I usually switch on the system before dinner time, and put something to play.
After finishing My dinner and post dinner walk/talk which takes roughly about an hour with family ; then I enter the stereo room. Everything is well settled By the time I sit for listening.

Have been keeping my DAC switched on for longer hours as discussed in another thread.
That should work well. Past two days I am switching on the amp in the morning in anticipation for the time I feel like a listen later and switch off before I go to sleep. I do feel guilty about the waste of electricity and my avoidable contribution to our carbon footprint.

If your equipment has stand-by mode, then I think it is a more economical option that leaving them fully on all the time.
The goal should be achieved that way as well by putting the equipment to its lowest power consumption mode.
That would be ideal, yes. Unfortunately it does not. (Dared MP60)
I am new to tubes, so have a limited knowledge of these amps. I am not aware of any tube amps (not hybrids) that have standby functions (or even remote controls)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back