Decent 2.0 setup within 1.5L

Upadhyay

Hello All,

I am looking for a decent 2.0 setup that can be scaled to 2.1 or 5.1(preferably but not a necessity) in future. It will be used for both music(mostly) and movies and the room is around 15x20 ft.

Music will be mostly digitally streamed from Spotify/Amazon Music. I will prefer floor standings over a bookshelf.

Cheers,
Praveen

in my recent experiences, active PA speakers by JBL, db Tech are better in dynamics than most floor standers in that budget...plus being active, it has built in amplifier.
https://amzn.eu/d/aQxtgVy

A pair would be 1lakh, add 50k for sub or a good dac/preamp....these would rock in home setup..

My suggestion is to keep at least 50% of your budget for speakers. Then visit as many dealers as you can to listen to speakers within that budget with familiar music (do not let them make you listen to Hotel California). Listen to all types of speakers - floor standers, bookshelves, 5.1
Trust your ears rather than specs. Make a shortlist. Listen again to those few for a longer duration. Once you have finalised the speakers then look for a good amp and source that pairs with the speakers. Later you can always upgrade the amp / source but keep the speakers going!

SB acoustics DIY Bromo Kit for the speakers, Marantz for the Amp or may I take the liberty of saying that any decent second hand possibly DIY Amp made by one of the forum members .
This is what I would do if I had your budget.

UOTE="rwnano, post: 1014027, member: 104040"]
SB acoustics DIY Bromo Kit for the speakers, Marantz for the Amp or may I take the liberty of saying that any decent second hand possibly DIY Amp made by one of the forum members .
[/QUOTE]
@rwnano . Noticed that you are not missing a single chance to mention SB acoustics. Are you affiliated to SB acoustics in anyways? 😂

UOTE="rwnano, post: 1014027, member: 104040"]
@rwnano . Noticed that you are not missing a single chance to mention SB acoustics. Are you affiliated to SB acoustics in anyways? 😂
[/QUOTE]
Not at all.. I run a battery company www.VoltQ.com

Have you bought anything from SB? wanted to hear about it.
Not yet. Was looking for bromos from.singapore dealer.. Hyderabad dude doesn't respond.
[/QUOTE]

Not the most efficient. I bought a driver from them. At first, denied any stock. I mentioned that it says it's available on their website. I asked if he was sure and requested that he double-check. He pulled his hands out of the hat and said he's got two in stock. 🤦‍♀️

I own the SB Bromos and they are very good for the price. They are better than my QA 3050is subjectively. Mine is the one with ceramic tweeters. I recently swapped those with aluminum tweeters and liked it better.
But like @Sugar said, do audition before you buy anything.
We've to include speakers, stands (if you are buying bookshelves), power/pre/integrated amp, DAC, streamer, interconnects and speaker cables in your total budget of Rs.1.50 Lakhs.
So there are multiple possibilities.
I'm just mentioning one for a start.
1. Speakers: SB Bromos (45k)
2. Stands: SF Nexus (9k)
3. Power: O&B SS2150 (25k?) - It has gain control. May be can skip on pre.
4. DAC: Topping E50 (Used one on sale here at HFV for 23k)
5. Streamer: Allo USBridge (13k)
6. Bluetooth receiver: Signature Acoustics Phoenix (3.3k)
7. Interconnects: Mogami/DAC/Any such - 2 pairs (4k)
8. Speaker cables: Beldon 8477s - 3+3 meters (200*6=Rs.1.2k)

Total Cost: 123.5k.

But do audition before buying blind. No one knows your ears better than you.

Hello All,

I am looking for a decent 2.0 setup that can be scaled to 2.1 or 5.1(preferably but not a necessity) in future. It will be used for both music(mostly) and movies and the room is around 15x20 ft.

Music will be mostly digitally streamed from Spotify/Amazon Music. I will prefer floor standings over a bookshelf.

Cheers,
Praveen
Hi Bro,
Since you specifically say floor standers, I'd suggest either the PSB Alpha T20s - one of the best all-round, VFM speakers I have ever heard - or the Emotiva T0+.

The Alphas have also got a pretty decent +-3dB claimed freq on-axis down to the 40s if I am not wrong...
Which should work wonders in your room, though my experience of listening was in a bigger room and it was even then mind-blowing.
These speakers will not fail you.
They will also give you enough time to budget for a great sub. (Speakers that go low will never replace a sub, but you can live with them longer...)

Then, pick up the best AVR/best integrated amp (AVR: Up to 5 channels, pre-owned or base models; IA will suit you well right now, but you will have to spend on channels later) with what is left from the budget.

I'd suggest stretch budget a bit, and pick up a pre-owned AVR which you think will serve you well for two years at the least...

If it is music mostly as you have mentioned, then you will have to live with two channels for a few months, with an integrated amp....

Then just a matching Centre from PSB + cheap AVR or processor, and you are sorted.

5.1, and all the other farkle, you can add once you have experienced the main course in your room. If you go stereo amp now, you will need an AVR for this later anyway...

So, decide on what really you want... an AVR for future channels for movies, or a good amp for your stereo requirements now, and another spend on an AVR when you need to increase channels...
--

In your case, if have to go out on limb (since you want both 5.0 sometime and a good pair of FS right now), I'd suggest go with an IA for now, and then sub, and when you are ready, a pre-owned processor + additional channels....
--

An alternative speaker choice for the budget would be the Emotiva T0+, which will leave you with a slightly lesser budget for the power part..., but they are great FS speakers nonetheless, despite the Indian going rate...
--

Since you are in Pune, you should be able to find an audition for both...
Regards and best

Last edited:
Not yet. Was looking for bromos from.singapore dealer.. Hyderabad dude doesn't respond.
Write to the eightaudio site's contact and he just might :)
His prices are decent, too, provided he can give you a minor discount.
ya, i told SBA about Hydbd dudes lack of response too...quite silly to address a giant market with suboptimal dealers
Isn't he our only point of procurement for these kits? Might be a good idea going a bit easy on him... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bro,
Since you specifically say floor standers, I'd suggest either the PSB Alpha T20s - one of the best all-round, VFM speakers I have ever heard - or the Emotiva T0+.

The Alphas have also got a pretty decent +-3dB claimed freq on-axis down to the 40s if I am not wrong...
Which should work wonders in your room, though my experience of listening was in a bigger room and it was even then mind-blowing.
These speakers will not fail you.
They will also give you enough time to budget for a great sub. (Speakers that go low will never replace a sub, but you can live with them longer...)

Then, pick up the best AVR/best integrated amp (AVR: Up to 5 channels, pre-owned or base models; IA will suit you well right now, but you will have to spend on channels later) with what is left from the budget.

I'd suggest stretch budget a bit, and pick up a pre-owned AVR which you think will serve you well for two years at the least...

If it is music mostly as you have mentioned, then you will have to live with two channels for a few months, with an integrated amp....

Then just a matching Centre from PSB + cheap AVR or processor, and you are sorted.

5.1, and all the other farkle, you can add once you have experienced the main course in your room. If you go stereo amp now, you will need an AVR for this later anyway...

So, decide on what really you want... an AVR for future channels for movies, or a good amp for your stereo requirements now, and another spend on an AVR when you need to increase channels...
--

In your case, if have to go out on limb (since you want both 5.0 sometime and a good pair of FS right now), I'd suggest go with an IA for now, and then sub, and when you are ready, a pre-owned processor + additional channels....
--

An alternative speaker choice for the budget would be the Emotiva T0+, which will leave you with a slightly lesser budget for the power part..., but they are great FS speakers nonetheless, despite the Indian going rate...
--

Since you are in Pune, you should be able to find an audition for both...
Regards and best
Great suggestion on the PSBs. They've very good drive, energy and dynamic punch thats amongst the best in the segment. One of the more engaging speakers I've heard South of 1L.

Thank you for your suggestions.
My knowledge about this space is limited so it is a bit overwhelming for me.

I will try to avoid DIY or anything that dose not offer good after sales services.

I will narrow the scope, will be ok with a stereo setup.

As @vkalia suggested how about.....Marantz Pm6007 integrated, an inexpensive streamer and put the rest into speakers with a sound palette they you prefer.

I will try to avoid DIY or anything that dose not offer good after sales services.

As @vkalia suggested how about.....Marantz Pm6007 integrated, an inexpensive streamer and put the rest into speakers with a sound palette they you prefer.
This is also a good start.
PM6007 is a good budget integrated amp.
If you can stretch your budget for the amp to some 70k, then go for a better integrated amp like Audiolab 6000A/Marantz PM7000N.

PM7000N plus QA 3050i is available for 1.6 L. You may haggle with Anil a bit. It's a very good combination, serves all your needs and will keep you happy for a long time.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back