Deciding on Rega P3-24

tek

Hello all

As I posted in another thread, my JVC QL-7 is facing speed issues again, and I am ready to dump it and buy a new TT.

I had shortlisted the project xprression III and the Rega P3-24. I have finally decided on the P3-24.

Has anyone else used this table and recommends it/or doesn't recommend it? It fits my budget..

Also, I am buying it without a cart. I plan to install my trusty Denon DL-110. However, I have read that the 301 arm on this is not height adjustable? Will that cause a problem for my cart?

I have not yet gone ahead with the purchase, but I plan to do so in the next day or so, so if anyone has feedback pls let me know asap. Being turntable-less is driving me batty! :p

Thanks!

Hi Tek,

where & for how much are you buying the Rega for???

The 301 arm is optimized in height for Rega Turntables. The issue of height adjustability becomes important only if you install a 301 on other brand TTs, with differing thicknesses of platter.

Most cartridges have similar heights, i.e. from stylus tip to top surface, so you should not have a problem with the Denon.

regards,

The Rega is a good table.... but for the same kind of money you can import a Technics SL 1200/1210. This IMHO would be leagues ahead of the Rega...

I have not yet gone ahead with the purchase, but I plan to do so in the next day or so, so if anyone has feedback pls let me know asap. Being turntable-less is driving me batty! :p

Thanks!

Hi Tek, I can feel your condition with 700 LPs but without a decent TT. Why don't you think for Scheu Cello? It is, I think better than Rega P3-24. Scheu Cello can take upgradation path very well in future. May think of.
Regards
Amit

Hi tek,
I am using Rega P3-24 with Elys cart almost since a year now and `am very happy about it. Have planned to uprade it's cart to Denon 103-R in the near future, lets see how it works.
Regards.

Thanks for the responses guys.

@amit - I thought about the scheu but the higher pricing and lack of dust cover put me off it. Looks like a great tt tho. The rega I've heard is also pretty upgradable and tweakable.
@eddie- thanks for the input. I guess I was googling the p3/24 and the dl-110 and came across people talking about vta an how the heights were adjusted more for rega carts. Anyways I guess it won't be an issue.
@manav- thanks a ton for chatting with me today. Though I used the 1200s a bunch in college (my roommate was a dj) I feel more inclined towards the rega. Also don't want to deal with importing.
@sachin- that's great! Can you tell me some more about what you like and don't like about this table?

Will probably order this tomorrow

Thanks for the responses guys.
@sachin- that's great! Can you tell me some more about what you like and don't like about this table?

Hi tek,
Since i bought it new, it has started sounding good over a period of time, surprising me sometimes with the overall improvement in the sound quality and i just love it :eek:hyeah:

Changing the speed (rpm) needs removal of platter for changing the belt positions over the pulleys, this can become bit frustrating at times, especially when you have to keep changing between 33 & 45 rpm records. However, this can be taken care of, with the external PSU (which i intend to buy), this is also an highly recommended upgrade as well for more balance and for accurate speeds. For more cartridge options, one can use `Rega VTA arm height adjuster' available online for @ 12 GBP.

Having used Dual TT, which are solid and build like tank, i can say that these Rega TT's are simple and needs to be leveled/installed correctly to extract best of it. Many other tweaks and options for overall improvement in sound quality are available online for this wonderful yet simple TT.

Hope this info. helps and all the best for your purchase.

Regards,

Hi tek, its a great TT for the money. You would need a 2mm spacer for the Denon cart.

Regards.

Hey hrtk, thanks for the comment. Do you have the table as well? Also, have you installed a spacer before? Do you need to remove the entire tonearm to put it on? I'm a bit scared i'll break it !!

hi tek, this is just my personal opinion, but while regas were a great option in the past, they are a bit behind today. Also i have heard that most regas are tuned at slightly higher speeds than the marked to give the impression of better PRAT(ie at 33rpm they actually run slightly higher)

from what i hear the SL 1200 might just be a better option for that price. the Scheu frankly is the best VFM in terms of Listed price elsewhere in the world to buy new. a dust cover can be had made...Magma can make it for you

On the other hand Regas are low risk and predictable and very popular and you can easily if you want to. sell on off in the future. If your collection is mostly old LPs you can easily live with it for a long time.

regarding DL103's i believe they are better associated with heavy Arms. as far as I know...

Last edited:
hi tek, this is just my personal opinion, but while regas were a great option in the past, they are a bit behind today. Also i have heard that most regas are tuned at slightly higher speeds than the marked to give the impression of better PRAT(ie at 33rpm they actually run slightly higher)

from what i hear the SL 1200 might just be a better option for that price. the Scheu frankly is the best VFM in terms of Listed price elsewhere in the country to buy new. a dust cover can be had made...Magma can make it for you

On the other hand Regas are low risk and predictable and very popular and you can easily if you want to. sell on off in the future. If your collection is mostly old LPs you can easily live with it for a long time.

regarding DL103's i believe they are better associated with heavy Arms. as far as I know...

I fully agree with Arj. Scheu is the most VFM to buy new. I was seriously considering it before getting an used Gyrodec... Another worthwhile option is Goldenote Valore. One will be blown away at this price point. They come factory fitted with tonearm and an MC cartridge and cost may be in the range of 60-65k.

Last edited:
Hi Tek,
Your JVC would be at par or better performer than Rega or 1210.It was a fully manual higher end model from JVC.JVC, being partly owned by Matsushita (Technics)they invented the quartz-locked direct drive, which was then adapted up by Technics,Sony and Denon.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi tek,

As the only owner of the Scheu Cello in India I think, I can very confidently say it is the best VFM TT at its price. Please ask member mksharan (manoj) who owns a Rega P5. Manoj visited me when the cart was just 5-6 hours old, and even then he liked my TT quite a lot. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending whole heartedly the Scheu Cello. Actually I am quite surprised that no one else has bought it on HFV so far. You will get nothing close to it at its price point, and I say this with 100% confidence. I waited and researched for one year and a half for my TT, and I may still be wrong, and of course I am giving my personal opinion, but it is not a budget TT. In my TT thread, I have said it more than once that it is a very serious TT. You can expect high quality sound with this TT. It also matches with my amp and speakers perfectly. Unfortunately I have not yet acquired a phono stage that matches the rest of my set-up. I hope by the end of this summer, that issue will also get resolved.

The P3-24 is about 60k or above, isn't it? For about the same price or perhaps a bit more, you can get the Scheu which in my opinion, is a far better made and far better sounding TT.

Regards.

Hey hrtk, thanks for the comment. Do you have the table as well? Also, have you installed a spacer before? Do you need to remove the entire tonearm to put it on? I'm a bit scared i'll break it !!

Yes i currently am using the P3-24 with Audio Technica cart and the sound is much better than the Rega Elys II. No, there isn't much of a problem installing the spacer.You just have to be careful doing it. Yes the tonearm comes off completely.

You should be able to get it for around 45k in matte black with the Rega Elys II. The spacer can be bought for GBP 12.

Sure there are many better TT's available if you are willing to spend around 75k-1lakh.

Regards.

+1 to the suggestion of Goldenote Valore. It's a complete unit. I heard it with Goldenote phono stage and Cary amp driving an Audience ClairAudient 2+2. Awesome sound. Should be available for audition in Mahim.

Or rebuild a Lenco L75. I can supply you plinth drawing. You will need to invest in a decent arm like an RB301/700.

Hi Tek
Sad to know about the JVC . For vintage midfy DDs, JVCs are really good for dynamic kind of music.
The P3/24 has a reputation of being dynamic though.
Of course a scheu or a valore may be a different ball game.
Tough choice.
Cheers

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I went ahead and ordered my P3-24 in Racer Red! Will put my DL-110 on it when it gets here, hopefully Wednesday! Will post some pics. In the meantime, I will try to get my JVC fixed and use it as a back up table. Will be cool to have a nice DD and a nice Belt Drive TT as well.
I thought about the Cello and the Valore, but I figured the Rega would suit my needs best. I also got a pretty good deal on it, for 51k as opposed to the MRP of 60K+ for the colour one. The dust cover is a major thing for me, and I never got around to getting one for my Project Genie a few years back and it basically rotted the arm bearings in less than 6 months... It seems to me the P3 is such a standardized table for so many years, it seems like a safe bet for me. Plus is the sound is anywhere close to as dynamic as the JVC, i' m sure i'll love it. The JVC was hands down the best TT i ever used. Hopefully the Rega will give it a run for its money!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back