Deciding on Rega P3-24

Congrats !
Even in my bearing, which is vacuum sealed, the platter floats high if removed and replaced and then settles down. You just have to ensure the VTA is correct after it settles down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

Like I mentioned earlier, when i tried putting it back it was almost like a vacuum pump or something, it wouldnt go all the way in smoothly. But once I put the platter back on it went down and was kind of "floating". Did I damage it? It plays and sounds ok... Is there anyway to test the centre hub is ok?

The reason for the subplatter/platter taking time to settle down is because of the close tolerance of the bearings.The oil in the bearing well is not displaced easily by the sub platter spindle.It will take several seconds/minutes for the sub platter to settle into the main bearing, as it forces the oil up the sides of the bearing.

You should never force the platter down,it should settle on its own.If you force it the bearing will get damaged.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks Rajiv, at first i tried forcing it a bit but it was not going in any easier, so i left it.. by the time i put the glass platter on the spindle it had settled for the most part.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Congrats !
Even in my bearing, which is vacuum sealed, the platter floats high if removed and replaced and then settles down. You just have to ensure the VTA is correct after it settles down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
though off-topic, but the two quotes in your signature are GREAT!
1. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence - Dr. Carl Sagan
2. The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Congrats for the new machine

Iam using Denon DL 160 cart, and it took ample time to settel down , it really needs fine tuning/tweeking or else the bass responce would not be that great

also i would like to know which phonostage you are using ?

right now iam using the DIY phonostage of sachin , its sounding pretty decent

Regards

Tanoj

Tanoj - i am also using Sachin's DIY phono stage

On a side note, I am a huge Carl Sagan fan as well! Went through a phase a couple years ago where I obsessively read all his books I could get my hands on and watched Cosmos like every day! :D

As promised, here's some pics of the Rega P3-24. The pics don't do justice (were taken at night), and the glossy Red colour doesn't come across as well as it does in real life. It really looks amazing in person! (notice how it matches the walls :p )

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back