Dedicated CD Player(Denon DCM 500) or Bluray Player(Pioneer BDP 150)

AmitKumar

Dear Friends,

My usage is going to be more of listening to music. I thought buying a blueray player which supports flac and sacd will be a good insurance against any upgrade in near future.

After considering Panasonic BDT 220 and Pioneer BDP 150, i decided on decided on Pioneer BDP 150, which i was planning to get from US through a friend.

Then i came across this Denon DCM 500AE 5cd changer at PRofx. which they are selling at 50 percent discount and i believe they are still left with few pieces.

following are the product pages:

BDP-150 - Blu-ray 3D™ Disc Player with Network Features, Front USB, and SACD Playback | Pioneer Electronics USA

DENON UK | DCM-500AE

Now i am in confusion, which one to buy? Will the SQ of Denon will be a significantly better than Pioneer Bluray player? Or should i buy the pioneer bdp 150 and buy a dac in future if require, though i dont know how much the dac will cost.

Request all of you to give me your ideas and guidance in this regard.

Regards, Amit

From What I gather is that, the Cd Player/Changer is specifically for audio listening and might be phased out, and that is why it is on discount. Also, CD's in the future might be replace by Digital Music which is happening at a very fast pace.
However, the Blu-ray Player, is a future secured versatile investment, you will be very happy with its original sound, only if you feel the sound lacking you could throw in a DAC.
Do not get tempted by discounts just for the sake of it, some are not worthy.

For Music , A dedicated CDP will always be better than a DVDP / BDP on the same price range. For the same reason, why music lovers prefer an integrated amp over an AVR for stereo. In a BDP, large part of cost goes to video processing and IOs, while in a CDP, all that goes into the spinning mechanism, lens, Digital transport and the DAC. (Creations like OPPO 103/105 , CA 851 UBD etc might be exceptions)

Now, if you are considering DCM 500, honestly do not bother. It is a 5 CD auto changer, and the sound quality is very average. I was considering this as a transport, but the equipment is very bulky and the mechanism does not seems reliable. Even with 50% discount, I gave it a miss :)

I am back to my previous route of BDP + DAC, going slow hoping someone will be willing to sell an OPPO one day :)

hi, i am considering to buy the dcm500ae from profx, presently i am using my marantz 3001 dac fed from a philips cdp for music. will there be a significant diff in SQ if i choose the denon, i read ur remarks on its sq being average, will be thankful if you can elaborate.

thanks

Hi FM,

I know restarting very old thread, just trying to avoid & recreating new one. Can someone please share feedback on Denon DCM 500AE, is it worth buying pre-owned for music listening over Blu-ray/DVD players? Is there any major difference in terms of sound quality & listening experience?

Cheers,

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back