Dedicated Home Theater Setup

What is your room size ?

And what did that cost for that ceiling ?

For the side walls, what did you apply ? Name and material and costs involved ?

Im thinking to simply build the room first, then make sure, no windows , then apply this Gyptone ceiling too . But I have no idea, what to do with the side walls.

For the side walls and back wall, I was thinking to apply some black wallpaper only.
About the front screen wall, I think, we can simply paint it Asian Royal BLACK paint .

If there is anything extra, I should do for the walls, let me know.

And is it a good idea to make the room completely black , like screen wall painting black, side walls and back wall with black wallpapers and then top with black gyptone ?

Hi Soamz,

Sorry for late reply. The ceiling cost came about 30K including painting. My room size 16.5 ft x 14.5 ft.

All walls are covered with perforated wood paneling backed with glass wool (twiga).

Thanks,
Purna

thats a beautiful setup u hav done...:), i m trying to setup a home theater myself and it wud b great if u cud help me in this regard...

thats a beautiful setup u hav done...:), i m trying to setup a home theater myself and it wud b great if u cud help me in this regard...

Thanks Samcruise. I got of lot of help from fellow members and other existing threads. You can create a thread about your requirements and experienced members will surely help in your setup.

Thanks,
Purna

Awesome setup! BTW, what is the room height? The whole package looks pretty neat.

Congrats!!! Am sure you must be having a blast.

Regards,
S.

Thanks Maiden_Trooper. My initial budget was 1.5L for acoustic treatment. I might overshoot that as few additional changes started creeping in.

I consulted few well known AV solutions guys, but they were more interested in selling their AV gear. Also met some interior guys who did the private theaters. After seeing HT rooms of Vinay, Alok, Santhosh and others on hifivision and other internet blogs, went with known carpenter for doing the work. But if you are interested in interior designer with knowledge about acoustics send me PM.

Purna,

Excellent setup, any recent modifications?

Was your final amount spent on Acoustics limited to 1.5L? Also do you have a
approximate split up of how much you actually spent this 1.5L?

Like the

1.Carpentar labour.
2.Glass wool material cost.
3.Plywood material cost.
4.Fabric material cost

Any other significant cost for the acoustic Treatment alone?

I am also in the process of converting one of my guest room (15ft x 13ft) into a hometheater room.

Checked with few of the AV solution guys and was quoted around 400+ per sqft.

A rough calculation shows:

1. Side walls will be 2* 15* 9* 400 = 108000
2.Back wall 13*9*400 = 46800
3.Front wall approx without screen area 40* 400 = 16000
4.False ceiling gypsum board with paint 55 per sqft(15*10* 55) = 8250
Total approx = 180,000

Purna, please correct me if I am wrong, in case your budget was exceeded then based on the above calculation it is better to go to the Av solution guys right?

Or am I missing something here in terms of the quality of the materials that you have used when compared with the AV solution guys?

In my view it is any day better to do things yourself with the help of forum members and importantly you should be able to give enough time to this project.

The evidence to this is that there are many forum members who have done it on their own without going through the consultant and so on.

V.

Purna,
Checked with few of the AV solution guys and was quoted around 400+ per sqft.

A rough calculation shows:

1. Side walls will be 2* 15* 9* 400 = 108000
2.Back wall 13*9*400 = 46800
3.Front wall approx without screen area 40* 400 = 16000
4.False ceiling gypsum board with paint 55 per sqft(15*10* 55) = 8250
Total approx = 180,000

Purna, please correct me if I am wrong, in case your budget was exceeded then based on the above calculation it is better to go to the Av solution guys right?

Or am I missing something here in terms of the quality of the materials that you have used when compared with the AV solution guys?

In my view it is any day better to do things yourself with the help of forum members and importantly you should be able to give enough time to this project.

The evidence to this is that there are many forum members who have done it on their own without going through the consultant and so on.

V.

Thanks Vinay,

I am in no hurry now to complete the project.

Just wanted to see if this DIY route also provide much better returns in terms of cost, over and above the self satisfaction:) that you get while doing these kind of projects.

You are right.

There is often considerable joy in DIY and rightly said that there is a lot of money saving too.

Furthermore most of us will like to do the things the way we want and i find it odd that someone will decide our interiors etc further he may say that the items have to be bought from so and so shop for reasons known to all of us while it will not be surprising that he may want to supply us the items for room and often what kind of a pricing will that be is any one's guess.

V.

Last edited:
Hi Purna,
You really have a nice HT. The wall panels, screen, projector, seating everything perfect.
I am also planning to build my own HT. Please give the details about the recliners like make & price. Thank you.
Regards,
Arun.

Hi Purna,
Congrats for your excellent set up and your hard work. I would like to know on the fabric you used. Have you used Jute products ? Regarding AC have you used 2 ton? How much gap you have maintained btw two wooden frames on your right wall facing to your screen.

observed that you have kept gaps in the side wall grids but not in the rear and scree wall.. pls advise on that part.

Regards,
Samrat

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back