Dedicated Home Theater Setup

Thank you Vinay. I agree that if one has patience and time, DIY will give better results.

I was looking for recliners in various stores. The La-z-boy is quite expensive and the dealer quoted me 55k for starting model. There are single seat recliners in many stores for around 15-25K range. While i was thinking of getting couple of these, in one store noticed 3 seater recliner and thought it matches with room interior and went ahead with it. This was delivered today and will upload pics of HT setup with seating soon. Following is the pic of the purchased recliner.

Few pictures of HT setup with recliner. The recliner is motorized with a switch at armrest near cup holders for changing into various recliner positions. Had to use extension box for powering this recliner as each seat required socket and i had only one socket near this.

If i am going with option of glass wool with wooden frames(2x4 or 2x2), which material should be used before covering with fabric. Plywood, Foam, Acoustic board and what other options do i have? Pls guide me on this.

Hi Purna,

Impressive thread. Great theater!

Where did you source Glass wool? What density is appropriate? You used rigid glass wool, right? Wrapped in cloth? Is that enough for protection? Again, what alternatives if I don't want to use glasswool?

I am also in the process of making my own HT. I am thinking of going DIY with bass traps for corners and sound absorption panels using Rockwool/similar and diffusers. Your input will be very valuable.

Last edited:
Hi Purna,

Impressive thread. Great theater!

Where did you source Glass wool? What density is appropriate? You used rigid glass wool, right? Wrapped in cloth? Is that enough for protection? Again, what alternatives if I don't want to use glasswool?

I am also in the process of making my own HT. I am thinking of going DIY with bass traps for corners and sound absorption panels using Rockwool/similar and diffusers. Your input will be very valuable.

Thanks John. Are you in Bangalore and if so i will PM you the place where i got the glasswool. The glasswool i got is from Twiga

Wrapped glasswool in thin fabric and then covered it perforated wood panels. These wood panels then covered with another fabric.

You can also approach Anutone. They have synthatic material for same purpose.

Purna,

It was a smart idea to get the 3 seater recliner. you must be enjoying movies with the greatest comfort and style. Congratulations.

With your marvelous private theatre you should seriously consider to give up going to cinema halls.

V.

Thank you Vinay. I agree that if one has patience and time, DIY will give better results.

I was looking for recliners in various stores. The La-z-boy is quite expensive and the dealer quoted me 55k for starting model. There are single seat recliners in many stores for around 15-25K range. While i was thinking of getting couple of these, in one store noticed 3 seater recliner and thought it matches with room interior and went ahead with it. This was delivered today and will upload pics of HT setup with seating soon. Following is the pic of the purchased recliner.

Purna,

It was a smart idea to get the 3 seater recliner. you must be enjoying movies with the greatest comfort and style. Congratulations.

With your marvelous private theater you should seriously consider to give up going to cinema halls.

V.

Thanks Vinay. Agree that there is no advantage of going to cinema hall when you have the small theater like this at home. Enjoying some old movies like Star Wars which i did not watch in hall earlier.

Hi Purna,
Congratualtions on such great looking HT..
I am also on the same path and looking for knowledge source all over the net. I am very much confused asto how much accoustic treatment is necessary ( without overdoing it ) to prevent a dead room... can you please guide me / post some links for the same...
thanks

How about connecting one 1500VA APC Online UPS to the main connects of the PJ room, so all the audio, video, sub, speakers, AVR, BR player , PJ, etc are all connected to it with a surge protector.

Good idea ?

How about connecting one 1500VA APC Online UPS to the main connects of the PJ room, so all the audio, video, sub, speakers, AVR, BR player , PJ, etc are all connected to it with a surge protector.

Good idea ?

Yes Soamz. You can connect to 1500VA, if the VA is enough for entire equipment. I did not consider since the house has power backup system and needed UPS only for projector to avoid any issue with projector bulb.

Thanks,
Purna

Thanks Kittu.

Called Manjunath and got the information regarding Vertex 3KVA. He quoted 14K for it. He also suggested i can go with 20KVA for entire house and have filters alone install it for this room.

3kva online UPS for 14k is a nice deal. Can you send the model name ?

Hello purna,
I missed to see your thread earlier, It was a nice setup and well done HT,congrats. Hope you & your family enjoy every moment in HT.

Thankyou....

You can refer to ceiling panels from Saint Gobain. I got these from local dealer.

What is your room size ?

And what did that cost for that ceiling ?

For the side walls, what did you apply ? Name and material and costs involved ?

Im thinking to simply build the room first, then make sure, no windows , then apply this Gyptone ceiling too . But I have no idea, what to do with the side walls.

For the side walls and back wall, I was thinking to apply some black wallpaper only.
About the front screen wall, I think, we can simply paint it Asian Royal BLACK paint .

If there is anything extra, I should do for the walls, let me know.

And is it a good idea to make the room completely black , like screen wall painting black, side walls and back wall with black wallpapers and then top with black gyptone ?

Hi soamz,

If you really want your room to "sound good", you have to acoustically treat the walls and corners along with the ceiling. You have to consider the following points at the bare minimum.

1. Sound absorbers on the side walls at the first reflection points of the front speakers.
2. Sound diffusers on the front and back wall.
3. Bass traps on the room corners.
4. Sound absorbing materials in the front of front speakers.

If you don't acoustically treat the room, you wont get the "theatrical" sound. The bass would be boomy, there will be standing waves issues. The dialogs wont be clear because of reflections from walls.

Again you should not do too much treatment by covering your entire walls with sound abosrbers. This will cause the room to be sonic-ally dead.

Please do some reading on the above topics online and plan to do a bare minimum treatment to your room.

Thanks,
John.

Yes, since I have no idea on all that, I was looking what to get and what to ask in the local market.

If you can tell me the material names or brand for 1,2,3,4 then I can inquire at my local market.

Im sure, no company would want to source to a out station and do all this for us.

You are safe, as you are in Bangalore. Here in Bhubaneswar, no one is acoustically interested. LOL! Very boring people.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back