Dedicated Home Theater Setup

He also suggested i can go with 20KVA for entire house and have filters alone install it for this room.

20KVA , house or sub station (Power).... No I guess you are good with 3kva stab in a dedicated line from your MCB.

20KVA , house or sub station (Power).... No I guess you are good with 3kva stab in a dedicated line from your MCB.

Based on his assumptions 20KVA might be required and which will not be my case. The example he has taken is little extreme with 3-4 AC units, Side by Side refrigirator & 3-4 gyesers etc.

In any case as you mentioned i will be purchasing only 3KVA stab.

Finally decided to go with Optoma DE 9120 EGA for projector screen.

In general what height the screen bottom should be from the floor. The screen height is around 5ft. Is 2ft or 2.5ft good enough for center speaker placement?

You should also consider the following:
1) Lighting control
2) Internet connectivity to your equipment for surfing, streaming and control

You should also consider the following:
1) Lighting control
2) Internet connectivity to your equipment for surfing, streaming and control

Thanks Thtpro.

Any suggestions for Lighting control. Did anyone use Havells Crabtree Aura?

I will use the existing Internet connectivity equipment for surfing etc. Since the onkyo model does not come with inbuilt wifi, i planned to use the gaming adapter (TRENDnet Wireless N Gaming Adapter TEW-647GA) which i got earlier for the TV connectivity.

Crabtree should work-- Depending upon where you plan to locate the switch and how you plan to program your remote control-- you will need to run an IR repeater over to the switch.

You should also look at be able to control the blinds-- with your remote control

With talk about 3KVA or 5KVA voltage stabilizer, UPS for projector, surge protectors and what not, you realize that you are going to clutter your room with so many steel boxes. All these are going to increase wiring, clutter, dust, fungus and mites. And then there will be the actual equipment. The room is only 15x16.5.

It is alright to safeguard costly equipment but let it not become a morbid phobia. :)

With talk about 3KVA or 5KVA voltage stabilizer, UPS for projector, surge protectors and what not, you realize that you are going to clutter your room with so many steel boxes. All these are going to increase wiring, clutter, dust, fungus and mites. And then there will be the actual equipment. The room is only 15x16.5.

It is alright to safeguard costly equipment but let it not become a morbid phobia. :)

Doesn't stabilizer take care of surge protection? I would like to avoid external wiring as much possible by providing appropriate wall points. If this equipment is making too much clutter, i may need to consider placing a rack in dressing room section for these.

Stabilizers, even servo ones, may or may not have surge protection. So it will be wise to check.

Even if you stack the equipment on a rack, the wire mesh/tangles at the rear invites dust, cobwebs and mites. Regular cleaning (once a month) is advised. Initially there is great enthusiasm about cleanliness which later on ... er ... dies out. I face this problem and so I am making you aware. :) Cable management helps to an extent but does not eliminate the issue.

Stabilizers, even servo ones, may or may not have surge protection. So it will be wise to check.

Even if you stack the equipment on a rack, the wire mesh/tangles at the rear invites dust, cobwebs and mites. Regular cleaning (once a month) is advised. Initially there is great enthusiasm about cleanliness which later on ... er ... dies out. I face this problem and so I am making you aware. :) Cable management helps to an extent but does not eliminate the issue.

Vertex Servo stabilizers for Audio comes with surge protection.

Initial enthusiasm and later on not caring too much applies to me very well:)

Please plan on placement of all your equipment. Better avoid placing UPS, Stab or any sort of devices too close to HT gear.

Purna,
I have asked the APC guys and they say the UPS has surge protection and give consistent 220V supply so no issue in putting on main line without Stablizer. What issue do you think is there in this setup?
Thanks,
Alok

I believe its a normal ups and please check with them what do they mean by "APC guys and they say the UPS has surge protection and give consistent 220V supply"

It will have stepped correction and it will not be good for AV equips esp a projector.

I believe its a normal ups and please check with them what do they mean by "APC guys and they say the UPS has surge protection and give consistent 220V supply"

It will have stepped correction and it will not be good for AV equips esp a projector.

The APC Back UPS spec mentions that the output as (1) India 3-pin 6A (Surge Protection) and (3) India 3-pin 6A (Battery Backup). So it means only one has Surge Protection.

On the other hand Alok's suggested model APC Smart UPS has AVR(Automatic Voltage Regulation)-keeps server, desktop and other SMPS based products 100% safe and the output is configurable for 220 : 230 or 240 nominal output voltage.

The Speakers choice is good. (Cause I too have the same :eek:hyeah:)
I would suggest you go for a APC Smart-UPS 1500VA USB & Serial 230V (SUA1500I). This will give approx 30 minutes Power backup to your projector. You can even go for the 750 VA (8 min backup) or 1000 VA (15 min backup) model if the UPS is just for the projector.
The UPS model that you have suggested seems to have power inlets for computers only. Am I missing something? -
APC Smart-UPS 1500VA USB & Serial 230V

The UPS model that you have suggested seems to have power inlets for computers only. Am I missing something? -
APC Smart-UPS 1500VA USB & Serial 230V

My old APC UPS backup model also came with same power outlets. APC supplied one extension cord to connect other devices. I do not remember whether it was supplied free of charge or with extra cost.

One would require IEC320C13 to IEC320C14 cable (IEC Jumper Cord) for connecting UPS to computer/projector without using extension cord. I guess they supply one/two with the UPS.

one thing I read in somewhere in this forum that normal pc ups are bad for home theter electrnic as they dont output pure sine wave........
pure sine wave ups is avilabloe but are much costlier than normal pc ups...
consider the point and ask exsperts...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back