Dedicated Home Theater Setup

one thing I read in somewhere in this forum that normal pc ups are bad for home theter electrnic as they dont output pure sine wave........
pure sine wave ups is avilabloe but are much costlier than normal pc ups...
consider the point and ask exsperts...

You are right and we should be using pure sine wave UPS for AVR. The APC Back UPS models spec mention that waveform type is 'stepped approximation to a sine wave'. And Smart series (SUx) models mention wave form is sine wave and their price is nearly twice that of Back UPS.

This week spoke to Anutone about acoustics. The sales person visited the place with various samples and recommended subtex (ebony or pearl) for ceiling and Pixel Smery/Strand for walls and took measurements for quote.

At the same time by going through various DIYs, i feel it is better to go with glass wool option. Planning to check with the carpenter tomorrow.

If i am going with option of glass wool with wooden frames(2x4 or 2x2), which material should be used before covering with fabric. Plywood, Foam, Acoustic board and what other options do i have? Pls guide me on this.

Planning to start Acoustic work. Following are the pics of current room.

Front wall where screen going to be placed.

Back side of the wall. Planning to close the opening with a door.

Not sure how this left side wall can be enhanced for acoustics. Planning to place the equipment in the corner shelf.

For walls planning to go ahead with making a grid of 2'x4' with wood and filling with 50mm glass wool. After that covering it with tissue paper and then 10mm perforated plywood wrapped with fabric.

The window & door will be made with with 50mm glass wool sandwiched between 10mm plywood and 20mm ply wood.

Anything else should i be considering? what other options do i have for left side of the room.

sorry for using the word best...it should be good.I have read in this forum that books are good for absorbing unwanted sound reflections in a dedicated ht room.
some other materials-heavy curtains,soft carpet,us-humans...

Purna,

Welcome to the world of private entertainment room.

It is generally not better to have such a marvel of room in living area and it is very good that you'll have realized this. Please convey my congratulations to your wife for taking such a smart call to convert bedroom to a theatre.

A Cassette air condition is a great idea because it looks very classy and will be in centre of ceiling area which is beneficial.

The projector looks always better on a ceiling mount and moreover there is minimum traffic of things in ceiling area. As far as lights go it will be great to have only those with dimmer option while normal lights should be generally a big No. For seating nothing can beat recliners and this can be vouched by members using them.

V.

Thanks for all experts who has shared quite a bit of information in various forums. It was really helpful for newbie like me.

Last couple of months i was going through various threads and gathering information as i was planning to setup dedicated home theater room.

Initially started with the plan of setting up the HT room in one living room which my builder mentioned as home theater room in the plan. The problem with this room was that it has 3 doors, 2 big windows and a staircase. This room size was around 11 x 18. We were thinking of creating wooden/gypsum wall sandwiched with some acoustic material with sliding door at the entrance of staircase to make it look like dedicated room and close all sides with thick curtains from ceiling to floor and covering the floor with carpet. As i was discussing this plan with my wife, she had big issue with Carpet covering the entire floor as this will become very dirty with regular maintenance of terraces and bedroom by maid. Also seating will become big hindrance for movement.

Instead she came up with idea of making the bedroom as dedicated HT room and then make this room as guest bedroom. Though i did not like moving bed into this area, felt the bedroom suited better as dedicated room for HT setup. This room size was about 15x16.5 and this gave me the provision to put little bigger screen than other room.

Following equipment was planned for this setup:

Projector Mounting - Need to decide whether to do on ceiling or wall mount

Air Conditioner - Did anybody use cassette AC units at home? If so is there any disadvantage of using it?

Lighting - TBD

Seating - TBD

Please guide me if i had missed something in the equipment list and any other alternatives to be checked. Mainly the setup will be used for movies(60%) & gaming(40%).

Last edited:
Thanks Vinay. If i had considered this bedroom will be modified into HT room, would not have made Bathroom & Dressing section which would have given me 25 ft long room. After seeing your theater and how you had removed the bathroom for getting the length, i had also thought about doing it. But due to other factors like on this floor there will be no other water source, stopped thinking about it.

Also decided to go ahead with ceiling mount for projector. Need to decide on lighting and was thinking in similar lines. Thinking of recliners may be manual at later stage after completion of everything else.

From the interior perspective cassette air conditioner will look more elegant than split air conditioner and planned to replace the Fan with this. Though initially wanted to go with cassette, at the moment planning to purchase split due to budgeting issues. Does placing split directly above the projector screen will cause any issues to movie viewing experience? My guess is that it should not be an issue, since mostly room will be in dark while watching.

Purna,

Welcome to the world of private entertainment room.

It is generally not better to have such a marvel of room in living area and it is very good that you'll have realized this. Please convey my congratulations to your wife for taking such a smart call to convert bedroom to a theatre.

A Cassette air condition is a great idea because it looks very classy and will be in centre of ceiling area which is beneficial.

The projector looks always better on a ceiling mount and moreover there is minimum traffic of things in ceiling area. As far as lights go it will be great to have only those with dimmer option while normal lights should be generally a big No. For seating nothing can beat recliners and this can be vouched by members using them.

V.

Purna,

In my case too, removing the bathroom was a very hard decision but i was able to do so because my passion level was extra ordinarily high. It took me a several days thinking to take such a hard step and fortunately i am very happy with the call taken.

Indeed you are right that recliners and many others things should be bought at a later date especially if one is doing up a dedicated entertainment room.

About lighting, please continue to toy with the great idea of having only those lights which are dimmer types or if the need be in-direct colored lights.

In my case the a/c is just behind the projector so servicing either of them becomes in-convenient but when i had the projector lift this problem was not there. The other thing is that my recliner is only a feet away from a/c so sometimes with some silent movie scenes the a/c noise distracts a little but if the a/c would have been somewhere in center of the room's side wall then this or other issues would have not surfaced.

It is wise that you are going for split a/c instead of cassette type due to your budget issues. In my case i went way above over budget, which was wrong but i have recovered all my monies as i am using my Mini Theater extensively since 5 years.

In-fact i know of at least 2 cases where they have spent big money on making theatre but they rarely use the room other then the initial euphoria though they continue to see movies very regularly but sadly above 75% of them in multiplex, television, I-pad, hotel rooms, etc. The point is one should never make a good planned entertainment room until they are sure that they will ban themselves going to a theatre by at least 75% and a big No via I-pad etc.

Further i have a friend who wanted to make a theatre in his duplex flat but since i knew that he rarely sees any movies, i discouraged him big time because it was not a wise step by any standard.

V.

Thanks Vinay. If i had considered this bedroom will be modified into HT room, would not have made Bathroom & Dressing section which would have given me 25 ft long room. After seeing your theater and how you had removed the bathroom for getting the length, i had also thought about doing it. But due to other factors like on this floor there will be no other water source, stopped thinking about it.

Also decided to go ahead with ceiling mount for projector. Need to decide on lighting and was thinking in similar lines. Thinking of recliners may be manual at later stage after completion of everything else.

From the interior perspective cassette air conditioner will look more elegant than split air conditioner and planned to replace the Fan with this. Though initially wanted to go with cassette, at the moment planning to purchase split due to budgeting issues. Does placing split directly above the projector screen will cause any issues to movie viewing experience? My guess is that it should not be an issue, since mostly room will be in dark while watching.

Last edited:
Carpenters started the wall paneling work. Following is the pic of work in progress

Had discussion with electrician about the electric modifications and he should be completing the rewiring tomorrow.

Last edited:
Purna,

Thank you very much for sharing the photo. I too have done wall paneling in same way. I have used 4 & 2 inches glass wool, till 3 feet height it is 4 inches and the rest of above is 2 inches. Have you selected the fabric for walls?

Please make sure that you have extra electrical points so you do not have to use extension boards and also consider to have all switches with a neo light, which looks very good when room is dark. Further it will be a great idea if you do not use normal lights and go for only the dimmer option.

V.

Last edited:
This week ceiling work was completed as shown in pic below. Used the Saint Gobain Gyptone for ceiling panels. As they suggested they are backed by 50mm glasswool. These panels came with acoustic tissue, but noticed at some places this was teared off due to mishandling during transportation. To protect against glasswool falling thru square holes, used another layer of very thin cloth. To avoid dead room used Twiga brand low density 16kg/m3 glass wool for backing instead of higher density.

Following is the pic of wall panel work in progress. Carpenter suggested he would make holes instead of purchasing ready made board. The grid marking on lower panels is for making holes.

Purna,

Thank you very much for sharing the photo. I too have done wall paneling in same way. I have used 4 & 2 inches glass wool, till 3 feet height it is 4 inches and the rest of above is 2 inches. Have you selected the fabric for walls?

Please make sure that you have extra electrical points so you do not have to use extension boards and also consider to have all switches with a neo light, which looks very good when room is dark. Further it will be a great idea if you do not use normal lights and go for only the dimmer option.

V.

Yet to decide on the fabric, but i am tempted to use colors like in your mini theater for wall & floor. What do you think of better color option for ceiling? Red? or should i use Dark Brown to match other wood panels?

Taken care of electrical points at various places in the room. Most of them are placed near to floor. I was using the switches Zencelo and they did not have this neon option.

For remote controlling lights planning to go for Gold Medal brand which has IR touch switches & dimmer and their remote.

Purna,

I have red color fabric which has holes so that sound can pierce easily to glass wool. The fabric has been supported by wooden molding which is again in red color and has been spray painted in metallic finish which is used for cars, i did not use the routine wood polish, these moldings have golden color round supports. My ceiling has acoustic tiles and are in white color but 4 of them are again in red color. I tried to add more red tiles but they were not looking nice. This entire detail can be seen in the video and photographs as per signature.

I had used several large color of samples for fabric and carpet, view tested them for several days and finally went for the red.

The holed fabric one can easily see in the sport shoes around the lace area or in some ladies bags, laptops etc. I have seen people using fabric which are thick and without holes, with no possibilities of sunlight or air passing and i have been advised that these fabrics are also fine but i prefer with holes.

You will be very happy in the long run by going for these dimmer light options and that too with a remote.

I will strongly suggest that be sure the work progresses well planned even if that means a delay etc so that there are no regrets later after all this is one of a life time job.

V.

Last edited:
Very good progress Purna! It is coming up really great! COngratulations on this next step which is one of the most important one.

Great effort Purna! Its a great home theater in making.

One suggestion, however. Try to acquire Choseal Cables. They are 4N OFC and much better than Mediabridge/Monster/RCA etc.

Purna,

I have red color fabric which has holes so that sound can pierce easily to glass wool. The fabric has been supported by wooden molding which is again in red color and has been spray painted in metallic finish which is used for cars, i did not use the routine wood polish, these moldings have golden color round supports. My ceiling has acoustic tiles and are in white color but 4 of them are again in red color. I tried to add more red tiles but they were not looking nice. This entire detail can be seen in the video and photographs as per signature.

I had used several large color of samples for fabric and carpet, view tested them for several days and finally went for the red.

The holed fabric one can easily see in the sport shoes around the lace area or in some ladies bags, laptops etc. I have seen people using fabric which are thick and without holes, with no possibilities of sunlight or air passing and i have been advised that these fabrics are also fine but i prefer with holes.

You will be very happy in the long run by going for these dimmer light options and that too with a remote.

I will strongly suggest that be sure the work progresses well planned even if that means a delay etc so that there are no regrets later after all this is one of a life time job.

V.

Thanks vinay for your suggestions. Went through pictures of your mini theater to get the idea of fabric with holes. I will keep this in mind while looking for fabric. Are there any materials i should avoid like silk etc?

I was little pushed to complete them in another week or 10 days. Main activity (important from decor) pending is Fabric & lighting selection.

I am tempted to use Blue LED lights for ceiling in the corners and white LED for remaining places in the ceiling. On the wall planning to use indirect lights. But these LEDs do not have dimmer option unless i go for very expensive ones. Undecided on whether to go with LED or halogen(for dimming option).

Great effort Purna! Its a great home theater in making.

One suggestion, however. Try to acquire Choseal Cables. They are 4N OFC and much better than Mediabridge/Monster/RCA etc.

Thanks Ranjeetrain. I had already got the speaker cables from MX.

Hi Purna.
You have planned a very impressive setup indeed!

I too am in the very early stages of constructing my own house - I have not even drawn-up a plan.
However, my wife and I have both decided to use the bedroom as a home-theater and keep the living room TV-free.

I am glad that Vinay concurs with us.

There is some information that I seek from you which will immensely help me plan my budget for construction of the house:

• Please tell me what your budget is for just the acoustic treatment of the room - not the AV gear.
  • Please tell me who you have consulted/hired in Bangalore to get this acoustic treatment done - please give me their contact information if possible.

Once again, congratulations on your new dwelling!

Purna,

In my case i had no deadline because i did not want to compromise, there were many instances where i was not getting a a perfect solution etc-so i had withheld the work in my Mini Theater. In other words even if your work gets delayed is fine but you need to get it perfect as pointed by Alok too.

The dimmer option may not be very expensive, the dimmer one's are too classy, in-fact other then using dimmer, it is also possible that they close in slow motion, taking around 15 seconds.

V.

I was little pushed to complete them in another week or 10 days. Main activity (important from decor) pending is Fabric & lighting selection.

I am tempted to use Blue LED lights for ceiling in the corners and white LED for remaining places in the ceiling. On the wall planning to use indirect lights. But these LEDs do not have dimmer option unless i go for very expensive ones. Undecided on whether to go with LED or halogen(for dimming option).

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back