Dedicated Home Theater Setup

Purna,

In my case i had no deadline because i did not want to compromise, there were many instances where i was not getting a a perfect solution etc-so i had withheld the work in my Mini Theater. In other words even if your work gets delayed is fine but you need to get it perfect as pointed by Alok too.

The dimmer option may not be very expensive, the dimmer one's are too classy, in-fact other then using dimmer, it is also possible that they close in slow motion, taking around 15 seconds.

V.

Some items like carpet, seating etc are now planned to do after few weeks.
For now concentrating on lighting & wall panels work to get it done.
Purchased 4 LED lights for corners of the room. These are color changers and came with remote to control. Remote has various options like dimming and fading, flash & strobe etc. Have to test whether all four can be controlled by same remote or not. Rest of lights are normal LED lights.

Also purchased Fabric after few visits to various fabric shops. Selected a fabric through which one can see some light and also it was not of thin material. My guess is that it is more to do with threads used in weaving were thicker and causing smaller holes at joints between threads. The color is light brown.

Hi Purna.
You have planned a very impressive setup indeed!

I too am in the very early stages of constructing my own house - I have not even drawn-up a plan.
However, my wife and I have both decided to use the bedroom as a home-theater and keep the living room TV-free.

I am glad that Vinay concurs with us.

There is some information that I seek from you which will immensely help me plan my budget for construction of the house:

• Please tell me what your budget is for just the acoustic treatment of the room - not the AV gear.
  • Please tell me who you have consulted/hired in Bangalore to get this acoustic treatment done - please give me their contact information if possible.

Once again, congratulations on your new dwelling!

Thanks Maiden_Trooper. My initial budget was 1.5L for acoustic treatment. I might overshoot that as few additional changes started creeping in.

I consulted few well known AV solutions guys, but they were more interested in selling their AV gear. Also met some interior guys who did the private theaters. After seeing HT rooms of Vinay, Alok, Santhosh and others on hifivision and other internet blogs, went with known carpenter for doing the work. But if you are interested in interior designer with knowledge about acoustics send me PM.

The wall paneling almost completed as in following picture. The door joints has some gaps and need some gaskets or some other solution for sound proofing.

Purna: May I ask you where you found the LED lights which change colour with remote in Bangalore and how much they were. Thank you.

Purna,

Your entertainment room is coming out quite well. Congratulations.

It is good that you have the A/C on center of side wall.

The door is single or double? For double door if hinges are used then i think there should be no gap. While with floor springs a little gap is always there by which a little sunlight comes in and indeed the sound leakage is there though not much as mainly the surround speakers sound will pull out, in such a situation rubber sealing etc can do a reasonable job.

V.

The wall paneling almost completed as in following picture. The door joints has some gaps and need some gaskets or some other solution for sound proofing.

Last edited:
Thanks Vinay. One really needs to plan A/C placement before acoustic work starts. The person took more than a day for fixing, due to wood work even though the carpenter provided the space for piping. Most of the delay was due to lack of communication from A/C installation folks with carpenters. I did not realize that some installation folks can do piping etc before one purchases the equipment. When inquired in home appliances shops, they said it will be done only after the purchase. But when Daikin installation folks came, they said it is possible to do before purchase as long as one decided to purchase from them.

Also did not want to place stabilizer next to A/C, so moved the stabilizer placement to floor near the AV cabinet on left wall and pulled the stabilizer output wires to A/C Unit. This avoided the visibility of A/C socket & stabilizer on the wall.

This room has two doors and both are single ones. For one door i am not worried that much, as it opens to Bathroom/Dressing area. I would like to seal somehow other door. To make the uniform pattern of paneling and open to outside instead of inside, i had made the door frame to flat (kind of non existing frame from inside the room). Because of this i can see light from all sides of door. I am planning to install the wool pile around the door. The width of it is very thin and thinking of two or three lines around the edge of door.

Thanks,
Purna

Purna,

Your entertainment room is coming out quite well. Congratulations.

It is good that you have the A/C on center of side wall.

The door is single or double? For double door if hinges are used then i think there should be no gap. While with floor springs a little gap is always there by which a little sunlight comes in and indeed the sound leakage is there though not much as mainly the surround speakers sound will pull out, in such a situation rubber sealing etc can do a reasonable job.

V.

Purna,

I can understand the problems you are facing as i too have gone through several of ad verses, it is extremely important to be very cautious during the making of such a marvel room. With our problems etc, we hope others will have much lesser issues because of the alerts which we all keep writing all the time on forum.

It is very wise to how you handled the stabilizer location.

I like the idea that you are considering to seal one of the door and indeed to make it uniform maintains the decor of your entertainment room. The wool pile idea seems to be excellent or you can consider the rubber sealing on door's like we have on the refrigerator.

V.

Vinay,
Considered the rubber sealing option but that looked thicker than the gap and also the gap was not uniform around the door. To avoid any further work on the door, going ahead with wool pile option.

Thanks,
Purna

Extremely well done. Such work deserves to be honoured with high resolution photos. :) Can you do that please? Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Extremely well done. Such work deserves to be honoured with high resolution photos. :) Can you do that please? Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Thanks just4kix. Can you please click on the pictures to see higher resolution images. Once seating is done will upload more pictures.

Thanks just4kix. Can you please click on the pictures to see higher resolution images. Once seating is done will upload more pictures.
Yeah. Clicked them. I could see bigger pics but there is a lot of grain. But very tastefully done. I like it.

Purna,

I am impressed with the way your private theatre has come up, many congratulations. It yet once again proves the power of DIY with the help of forum member's. You have put great efforts Purna.

I have been a strong believer that having a projector and screen or bare wall to beam is not at all enough, one has to do up the room in all respects, be it the interiors, acoustics, decent projector, air conditioning, seating, quality of rips, disc, 5.1, etc. Purna, you too will be a great inspiration to others that how important it is to do up the full room in one go so that one can explore the power of a private cinema at home which over all an multiplex can not match for many of us.

It is good that you have not been greedy to go for a more larger screen because you understand clearly how much your room dynamics can take, though you could have considered to go for a little more bigger screen.

I am glad that you have several electrical points, this is one area many of them may fail and end up with extension box etc and they would in no way suit the interiors of such a wonderful movie room.

I too had huge shelf's etc made for my Mini Theatre, but had to remove them because it was spoiling the interiors and was taking too much of space, with this removal my room looks much better and spacious.

The air condition which you have centrally located on the side wall , is a great thought.

The seating, please remember recliners are the best way to go forward because it will give great comfort while watching the movie and add up to the interiors of room.

Congratulations once again Purna.

V.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back