Dedicated home theatre help - Chennai

If your walls are made of concrete then do not paint it but use acoustic panels to make sure the reflections are minimized. You can build these yourself or buy it from various places depending upon your budget.

Also, avoid painting/glues or cutting work inside the room as the smell will remain in a non ventilated room.

Make sure the door is of double thickness and can seal the sound as most of your sound leakage will be through there.

Based on your room dimensions, these will be the room modes https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=15&w=12&h=9&ft=true&r60=0.6

What kind of seating are you looking at, make sure the seats are atleast 2-3 feet from the back wall as well as there atleast 1 feet from the side wall as the surround speakers then are too close.

Make sure the door is of double thickness and can seal the sound as most of your sound leakage will be through there.

Would steel doors like Tata Pravesh be suitable ? They said the frame was 6 inches, but the actual door might only come to around 3 or 4 inches.

Would steel doors like Tata Pravesh be suitable ? They said the frame was 6 inches, but the actual door might only come to around 3 or 4 inches.
you don't need steel doors for a media room! in fact, they might even end up being detrimental!
Ah, sorry, I assumed you were op. My bad. What's your room size and requirements @arunav

If your walls are made of concrete then do not paint it but use acoustic panels to make sure the reflections are minimized. You can build these yourself or buy it from various places depending upon your budget.
suds bhai, why not paint? do you mean not do any finishing work at all, and just run acoustic panels all round? That'd be very bold!

Also, avoid painting/glues or cutting work inside the room as the smell will remain in a non ventilated room.
Wouldn't this get sorted with some living in?
AGREE! Ask me :D

you don't need steel doors for a media room! in fact, they might even end up being detrimental!
Ah, sorry, I assumed you were op. My bad. What's your room size and requirements @arunav

Yeah I really apologize for hijacking someone else's thread, I am also in the construction phase and I am also researching as much as possible before I finally have the room ready to move in. My dedicated room would be 25 x 14 feet on the top floor. I am even thinking of getting the engineer to modify it to 15 feet just to have a bigger screen and speakers further away from my ears; which would need additional multiple beams to withstand the additional 1 feet and weight of bricks and concrete that come on top, since the room below it is only 14 feet in width.

Vinoth, Firstly welcome to the forum and advanced wishes on your upcoming HT setup.

Based on my experience, here are some suggestions for your construction phase-

First things first...focus your time and initial spends on the one time only fixed assets that you cannot change by yourself or cannot be changed without major alteration work at a later time like the following
  • Door positioning - Decide your screen wall, plan for 7 channel ear level speaker placement and mark out their position (you can find references in Dolby websites) and then based on the surround speaker position (not rear surround), mark your seating position. With all these marked out, ensure your door is aligned in a way that it will not intrude the speaker or seat positioning as well as not obstruct the screen view when opened. Ideally door should be behind the seating position if possible. If not done right, this may become a pain point after you complete and start enjoying your setup.
  • Consider having atleast one window to use as ventilation when needed. A large room with no fresh air can get damp easily when you are away and aircons are not running. Dampness attracts smell and insects. You will not want to add a window or do any civil alteration later once you have all the sensitive electronics installed in the room so better sooner than later.
  • Spend on a high quality 8k HDMI cable (its ok even if your projector is 4k only) and purchase it right away. You should have this before the electrician installs the conduit pipe on the wall. Insist a separate conduit pipe dedicated for HDMI cable alone. It should be large enough to change the cable in future. Remember HDMI connectors have a long solid casing that cannot bend so it is important to select the pvc bend fitting size first that is large enough to run your HDMI connector through. The pipe diameter should be decided on the pvc bend fitting size and not vice versa as they do for electrical wires.
  • Spend on decent 12ohms speaker wires and have the electrician pull these internally for a minimum of 7.2.4 channel speaker configuration. If possible, personally guide the electricians on where each of these wires should come out of the wall at the speaker positions. In my experience, it is better to pull out the speaker wires closer to the floor at the speaker placement positions. Separate conduit pipes should be installed to run speaker wires. Draw the speaker wires in the ceiling for minimum 4 atmos speakers. Does not matter if you do not use them immediately but you won't regret later.
  • Since its a dedicated HT room, I assume you would ceiling mount your projector. So remember to have a 3 pin power socket approximately near the marked pj position.
  • Assuming you would be installing a fall ceiling, the pj celing mount should be procured and installed in its position before the fall ceiling is done.

The design planning and markings during the construction phase is critical to minimize long term pain points. On the HT equipments front, I would suggest you focus budget spending on the minimum required building blocks initially like the Projector, AVR and media player. You can start with minimum of two speakers initially and then add more gradually in the following months when you can expand your budget. Since you have all the wiring in place, speakers can be added/changed anytime.

Cheers!

Vinoth, Firstly welcome to the forum and advanced wishes on your upcoming HT setup.

Based on my experience, here are some suggestions for your construction phase-

First things first...focus your time and initial spends on the one time only fixed assets that you cannot change by yourself or cannot be changed without major alteration work at a later time like the following
  • Door positioning - Decide your screen wall, plan for 7 channel ear level speaker placement and mark out their position (you can find references in Dolby websites) and then based on the surround speaker position (not rear surround), mark your seating position. With all these marked out, ensure your door is aligned in a way that it will not intrude the speaker or seat positioning as well as not obstruct the screen view when opened. Ideally door should be behind the seating position if possible. If not done right, this may become a pain point after you complete and start enjoying your setup.
  • Consider having atleast one window to use as ventilation when needed. A large room with no fresh air can get damp easily when you are away and aircons are not running. Dampness attracts smell and insects. You will not want to add a window or do any civil alteration later once you have all the sensitive electronics installed in the room so better sooner than later.
  • Spend on a high quality 8k HDMI cable (its ok even if your projector is 4k only) and purchase it right away. You should have this before the electrician installs the conduit pipe on the wall. Insist a separate conduit pipe dedicated for HDMI cable alone. It should be large enough to change the cable in future. Remember HDMI connectors have a long solid casing that cannot bend so it is important to select the pvc bend fitting size first that is large enough to run your HDMI connector through. The pipe diameter should be decided on the pvc bend fitting size and not vice versa as they do for electrical wires.
  • Spend on decent 12ohms speaker wires and have the electrician pull these internally for a minimum of 7.2.4 channel speaker configuration. If possible, personally guide the electricians on where each of these wires should come out of the wall at the speaker positions. In my experience, it is better to pull out the speaker wires closer to the floor at the speaker placement positions. Separate conduit pipes should be installed to run speaker wires. Draw the speaker wires in the ceiling for minimum 4 atmos speakers. Does not matter if you do not use them immediately but you won't regret later.
  • Since its a dedicated HT room, I assume you would ceiling mount your projector. So remember to have a 3 pin power socket approximately near the marked pj position.
  • Assuming you would be installing a fall ceiling, the pj celing mount should be procured and installed in its position before the fall ceiling is done.

The design planning and markings during the construction phase is critical to minimize long term pain points. On the HT equipments front, I would suggest you focus budget spending on the minimum required building blocks initially like the Projector, AVR and media player. You can start with minimum of two speakers initially and then add more gradually in the following months when you can expand your budget. Since you have all the wiring in place, speakers can be added/changed anytime.

Cheers!
Thanks a lot for your detailed post.

Yeah I really apologize for hijacking someone else's thread, I am also in the construction phase and I am also researching as much as possible before I finally have the room ready to move in. My dedicated room would be 25 x 14 feet on the top floor. I am even thinking of getting the engineer to modify it to 15 feet just to have a bigger screen and speakers further away from my ears; which would need additional multiple beams to withstand the additional 1 feet and weight of bricks and concrete that come on top, since the room below it is only 14 feet in width.
No need to apologise bhai; mistake was mine.
I'd suggest you start a new thread with budget, requirements and room dimensions in subject. Suggestions will be more forthright and useful for your use case.
Regards

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and seeking your help to setup my new home theatre. I always wanted to have a dedicated media room for my entertainment needs and I'm constructing a new home now and construction will get over in next 5 months. I have planned a dedicated room and wanted to have a decent home theatre setup with projector.

Room details: Construction in progress
Dimension: 12'(W)x15'.3"(L)
No windows
Planning for darker painting
Please suggest me if anything to be taken care during my construction such as flooring, wiring provision, etc.

Below are my requirements and budget.
Video:
Good picture clarity, 4k support
Screen size between 100" to 125"
I'm looking at Epson tw9400 or Epson tw7100
Usage: Weekly 6 hours
Budget: 1.5L
Please suggest if there are any other models I should look for and suggest me good dealers in Chennai.

Audio:
I'm looking to have a decent surround system, I thought I can go for 5.1.2 setup.
Budget: 1.5L
This is where I need more support to suggest me good receiver and speakers within the 1.5L budget and I don't want to go beyond this budget. Predominantly I will be using this room for watching movies and very occasionally for PS4 casual gaming.

Acoustic:
I'm not sure whether I will have the budget to acoustically treat the room and I'm open to hear any suggestions which can be done during the construction which can help.

Looking forward for all your support in finalizing the equipments and possibly finding a good dealers in Chennai.

The most important part of the setup is the room design. It does not matter how much you spend on your speakers or electronics if they are not placed correctly and the acoustics of the room are not properly considered. If you can try and consider two subs. That will definitely help with room modes and seat to seat consistency. Also please put fiberglass wool or any other form of absorption in all 4 corners. They will serve as bass traps to trap the bass which resonates in the corners.

A decently think carpet through out much of the room will also be helpful. If you see the attached screen shots after adding a bit of absorption to the ceiling and the floor along with a second subwoofer you can achieve a great response in your low frequency which is where most of the reverberation problems are most audible.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 4.20.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 4.20.41 PM.png
    437 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 4.20.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 4.20.48 PM.png
    439.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 4.21.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 4.21.55 PM.png
    377.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 4.24.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 4.24.11 PM.png
    371.6 KB · Views: 7
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back