Dedicated power supply for hifi in new apartment

nandac

Hey all, an apartment of mine is likely to be demolished and rebuilt in the near future - the full building.

So is there anything I can get done for enhancing the power supply in atleast two of the rooms?

Dedicated power supply, specific brand of cable, gauge (12 gauge?) to be used etc?

I think I have seen some Cardas power cables for this purpose - will that work? http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/cardas-in-wall-power-cable-3x10-p-4908

And in wall speaker wire - are they worth it?

How about wall sockets - any options here? 20 amp? hospital grade?

I am not sure if the builder will do any of this - but can check/try.

Appreciate any insights.

Last edited:
Hey all, an apartment of mine is likely to be demolished and rebuilt in the near future - the full building.

So is there anything I can get done for enhancing the power supply in atleast two of the rooms?

Dedicated power supply, specific brand of cable, gauge (12 gauge?) to be used etc?

I think I have seen some Cardas power cables for this purpose - will that work? http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/cardas-in-wall-power-cable-3x10-p-4908

And in wall speaker wire - are they worth it?

How about wall sockets - any options here? 20 amp? hospital grade?

I am not sure if the builder will do any of this - but can check/try.

Appreciate any insights.
Room designed for perfect sound would be a bigger priority maybe, I know that hat is the only way to kill my elephant with golden ratios, acoustic symmetry and cathedral ceilings. My builder, neighbor, wallet and family are all singularly uncooperative

Ofc I am not suggesting that you have not already considered room design.

Ciao
GR

We had speaker wires buried in the wall when we built our house. After some time we switched to regular speaker cables ! I think it's not worth burying the cables if one wants to eliminate all bottle necks to good sound. For a Hometheater I guess it really doesnt matter and probably a good idea to eliminate lots of loose external wires . Use fairly heavy guage wires. Our speaker wires were in a separate conduit away from wires carrying mains.
In large apartments all the power from the distribution box is usually via bus bars. You couldn't possible do anything there. Just ensure that the connection to the flat from the bus bars ( fuse box ) is of suitable guage wire and separate for the sockets that go to the music system. Don't connect lights etc to the wires that go to the music system. The earth line from the sockets ( for the music system ) should go directly to the earth in the distribution box . Don't connect any other earth line to the "HiFi" earth line. They should only meet at the earth in the distribution box ( fuse box). Try to have separate lines for the power amp and other equipment going to separate 15 amp sockets . The 15 amp sockets is to ensure that the connections are better than the typical 5 amp sockets. You could use higher capacity industrial sockets to further minimise the contact issues . I would try to use heavier guage wires for the power lines than the usual 15 amp rated lines. Maybe use cables rated for 30 amps ! This will reduce voltage drops on the power line especially for power amps. Not so critical for the lower power devices ( separate socket I guess !).
Have fun installing all this according to your requirement ! Have a dedicated power socket strip made for your music/video system. As many sockets as you have equipment. Will avoid all the mess we normally have with extension boxes.

>The earth line from the sockets ( for the music system ) should go directly to the earth in the distribution box . Don't connect any other earth line to >the "HiFi" earth line. They should only meet at the earth in the distribution box ( fuse box). Try to have separate lines for the power amp and other >equipment going to separate 15 amp sockets .

if i say the above will the electrician understand this? as i am myself not very knowledgeable about electrical stuff.

and is the distribution box something inside my apartment or will it be outside common to all apartments?

if it is within the apartment, any idea how much length cable i would need to extend from the distribution box to the socket?

I am just wondering if i can buy some cardas cable for this - and any idea if cable bought in the usa will work in india?

I would like two separate hifi lines - one to the living room and one to one of the bedrooms.

the apartment will be like 2000 sq feet - so you can take a guess at the average size of the living room and the bedrooms.

appreciate any insights.

Room designed for perfect sound would be a bigger priority maybe, I know that hat is the only way to kill my elephant with golden ratios, acoustic symmetry and cathedral ceilings. My builder, neighbor, wallet and family are all singularly uncooperative

Ofc I am not suggesting that you have not already considered room design.

Ciao
GR
what room design for perfect sound? i doubt if i have any control over that but i can check.

what room design for perfect sound? i doubt if i have any control over that but i can check.
E-V-E-R-Y T-H-I-N-G power cables will be a relative non issue in SQ and listening terms.

Sadly beyond know the importance I have the vaguest of ideas of how to create a good listening space (golden ratio, keep it acoustically symmetrical etc). I would suggest that you design the space with audio considerations in mind, if not a priority. In my space for instance even if I could not have a cathedral ceiling and non parallel walls even in my wildest dreams, I would be in a portion I would try to create a space for my speakers on a far wall without passage ways, alcoves, doors and windows. Or lotfs and cupboards. And make sure the power sockets are suitably located. and that the ac could be in such a place where it would not be breathing down on my panels. I would be dishonest if I don't envy your possibility of creating your space :)

ciao
gr

in amazon.in i can see for finolex cables : 2.5 sqmm, 4 sqmm, 6 sqmm - in that order of cost from cheap to expensive.

Are these the gauge - like 10 gauge etc?

Appreciate the feedback.

in amazon.in i can see for finolex cables : 2.5 sqmm, 4 sqmm, 6 sqmm - in that order of cost from cheap to expensive.

Are these the gauge - like 10 gauge etc?

Appreciate the feedback.

am i right that 15 amp is the max for a socket in india?

if so will 4sqmm/12 awg suffice? or is 6sqmm/10 awg the better choice for a dedicated power supply?

also in amazon.in for havell cables i see a 'standard single core' and a 'lifeline' cable.

is one preferred over the other for hifi purposes?

also the above cables seem to have only one wire (with multiple strands etc) in contrast to what cardas offers which has three wires :

so is there a difference between the two? or is it done differently in india?

appreciate the clarification.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back