dedicated processors for HT

subhash

In this hobby of ours with time we crave for better and better SQ, and am sure a dedicated processor with external power amps will outbeat an AVR any day
but the users of pre/ processor/external power amps is still to catch up

I have gone the pre/power way , but use an AVR (onkyo 875) as my processor, and am looking to go in for a standalone processor

I request you guys to post links to reviews of the processors you have come across around the budget of under 1, as it cud be helpful to peoplel looking out for dedicated processors

Subhash - I agree with you that Pre-power combos are better at sound - but at-least IMHO - that applies mainly to music - because movie sound recordings are at-best average. So in this case power delivery becomes more of an issue - as movies require quite high sound pressure levels than music to sound authentic.
I used to own a B&K ref50 pre amp after which I had a parasound halo - using parasound amps, but now I am back to a denon receiver (avr2310) and find its sound more than adequate in my 15 x 12 x 9 room.
Regardless I believe that the better value will be to pair a AVR (used as a processor) and a multi channel amp.
Just my 2 paisa:lol:
Cheers
Sid

Subhash - I agree with you that Pre-power combos are better at sound - but at-least IMHO - that applies mainly to music - because movie sound recordings are at-best average. So in this case power delivery becomes more of an issue - as movies require quite high sound pressure levels than music to sound authentic.
I used to own a B&K ref50 pre amp after which I had a parasound halo - using parasound amps, but now I am back to a denon receiver (avr2310) and find its sound more than adequate in my 15 x 12 x 9 room.
Regardless I believe that the better value will be to pair a AVR (used as a processor) and a multi channel amp.
Just my 2 paisa:lol:
Cheers
Sid

how wud u say an avr as processor wud be better value , is it bcoz of the pricing ?

right now i too am using the avr as a processor ,

an avr wud definently be sufficient ,but i guess a processor with external power amps wud definetly be superior in SQ ,its like how good ones ears are :lol:, i say this after comparision / demo

Pricing exactly - because the sales volume of av rcvrs. is better than that of processors so better pricing can be had for roughly similar performance.
Yes a stand alone processor will have better SQ - but given a similarly priced rcvr you will be hard pressed to tell the difference in movie sound quality - though music is where the stand alone pre would pull ahead.
Anyways that is just my opinion based on what I have heard - obviously you will be the best judge:)

Pricing exactly - because the sales volume of av rcvrs. is better than that of processors so better pricing can be had for roughly similar performance.
Yes a stand alone processor will have better SQ - but given a similarly priced rcvr you will be hard pressed to tell the difference in movie sound quality - though music is where the stand alone pre would pull ahead.
Anyways that is just my opinion based on what I have heard - obviously you will be the best judge:)

music is anyway better with pre/power , but here its the movies,

try a pre/processor with really power ful external power amps it does knock you , no match for AVR

pricing is high as of now , but i expect its quality for price

if you think the pricing is too high ,chk out the pricing of this, there sure will be others competing over price here

Emotiva Audio UMC-1 Audio-VIdeo Processor

this unit i think shud be out in dec , will definetly give the avrs a tough time

Its priced over 200K. If you are looking for a separate processor I think that only Marantz 8003 pre would fall within your budget of 100K. Anyways good luck with your hunt for Pre in that price bracket.

thats too much of a price , it cud double up when launched in india

How can a mere mortal afford a processor from the likes of denon, marantz i know i can but i wont ... i love audio but i still have a hold over myself

How can a mere mortal afford a processor from the likes of denon, marantz i know i can but i wont ... i love audio but i still have a hold over myself

denon agreed , but marantzs AV8003 definetly in ones reach @ about 70-80k

i guess your emo power amp:indifferent14: is desperately waiting for the umc-1

Still no news on the Emotiva UMC-1
i had made enquires regarding the Marantz AV 8003 PRe/Prosc, and there is one absolutely new unopened factory sealed unit available , may be i will plan up on this unit , is it a must that it has to be paired`with the MM 8003 , 8 channel power amp?

any suggestions on this

Add another one to your list of audition i.e NAD T175 pre amp processor whose mrp is 126k but you can easily get it around 100k with official bill and warranty, and the best part about this pre amp processor is that it works on NAD's MDC technology which means Modular Design Construction. To know more about this I would request you to visit http://nadelectronics.com/products/home-theatre-amplifiers/T175-Surround-Sound-Preamplifier. This helps in protecting your investment from Newer Technology release in near future. Since this technology is based on Modules (Cards) so you can always upgrade it whenever a new tech arrives rather than changing your entire Processor.

Last edited:
An person who went on a business trip to where emo was located got a chance to spend about 8 hours auditioning the umc-1 there he said he was very impressed with the sound quality and it was a definite upgrade from what he presently owned. Another member on the forum was quick to ask which pre did he use presently and it was Anthem. :clapping:

People will be receiving there units soon as well as reviewers the wait is not that long now for actual reviews.

An person who went on a business trip to where emo was located got a chance to spend about 8 hours auditioning the umc-1 there he said he was very impressed with the sound quality and it was a definite upgrade from what he presently owned. Another member on the forum was quick to ask which pre did he use presently and it was Anthem. :clapping:

People will be receiving there units soon as well as reviewers the wait is not that long now for actual reviews.
Thanks audiodelic for the update. I for one am eagerly waiting for the review and availability of the UMC-1. Just one hour ago, I visited the Emotiva site to see if there was any news on this.

@santhol2 if you want updated info visit the emotiva forum. their all 10 times more desperate to get the umc-1 in than us. :licklips:

@santhol2 if you want updated info visit the emotiva forum. their all 10 times more desperate to get the umc-1 in than us. :licklips:
Thanks for in the info on their forums. Found the review thread. Here it is:

The Emotiva Lounge - My Visit to Emotiva

Another thread mentioned that Emotiva expects to deliver the pre-orders by end of January, 2010. After this they will be ready for sales without pre-order:yahoo:

Subhash, there is another thread which has compared the Emotiva UMC-1 with Marantz 8003. Have a read and also wait until UMC-1 is out before you decide on your pre-proc.

thats too much of a price , it cud double up when launched in india

If you are looking for a surround processor in 100K bracket, you will not see any major change from what you have today. I would consider that as money thrown away.

If you are looking for a quantum jump in sound processing look for products from Arcam, Parasound, B&K, Lexicon, Rotel, Sunfire, Anthem, or Theta. Believe me, the Emotiva cannot hold a candle to these products. Even a Onkyo's Elite Sound processor will be better than the ones you are looking at.

Parasound is releasing a new sound processor in January and that will be a class act. That should be around 2 lakhs in India.

Cheers

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back