Dedicated,un-amped headphone around 10,000

Some more questions.

How is Bose AE2/AE2i?

Any nice hp from Denon in my budget?

I am trying to gather all the information I can before I travel to Ahmedabad to audition all shortlisted models. Nothing much is available in my city.

AEs are pretty average in sound and awesome in comfort.
OE2s are better wrt sound compared to AE2.
They are equivalent to HD448/9 in performance but multiple times better in comfort.

Got an OE2 just 2 days back for wifey n shez happy.

AEs are pretty average in sound and awesome in comfort.
OE2s are better wrt sound compared to AE2.
They are equivalent to HD448/9 in performance but multiple times better in comfort.

Got an OE2 just 2 days back for wifey n shez happy.

+1 to comfort of AE2. I was able to get my hands on AE2 and it was very comfortable. But I think volume was slow, it might need amp.

+1 to comfort of AE2. I was able to get my hands on AE2 and it was very comfortable. But I think volume was slow, it might need amp.

Ya.. Not for mobile phones.
With laptop/desktop it is good.

The OE2s are better in sound quality as well as volume/bass than AE2.

What type of mods are you talking about? Not a pro here :(

Also, any advise on affordable US to India service? (if I want to order this one)

The mods are simple but would need opening of the headphones.

The baffle can be mass loaded by putty/blue tack to improve the sound.
The bass port can experimented with. You will also gain by replacing the earpads with more softer ones which help in better isolation as well as bass response.

Not able to get hold of a 555??
90% performance of 598 in less than half the price..
Call dealers from just dial and check out..

I'll dial them all tomorrow. I looked online, couldn't find a good deal. It was out of stock most of place. It was available at 1 or 2 shop, at around 7.5k.

I saw some old prices somewhere, priced little less than 6k. What's good price for this hp?

I'll dial them all tomorrow. I looked online, couldn't find a good deal. It was out of stock most of place. It was available at 1 or 2 shop, at around 7.5k.

I saw some old prices somewhere, priced little less than 6k. What's good price for this hp?

5.5 - 6k..

Trying to answer all questions,

By dedicated, I mean that it does not have to be portable like Senn PX100 (does not have to be travel friendly).

Not heavy bass

Common source system will be iPhone or Mac (320kbps MP3 in both)

Music preference - bollywood and soft/average english, not hard rock type (so no heavy bass)

Open/Closed - preferably closed, but not strong preference in that at the moment

Noise cancellation - not required.

German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor

5.5 - 6k..
Afaik, Hd555 and hd595 share the same drivers. Probably HD558 and HD598 have a similar relationship. There are some mods which are said to bring them very close in performace to the costlier siblings.

unleash_me, Have heard good things about those cans. Do you own a pair, by any chance? Would love to hear more about them.

AKG has recently launched a model 550 (closed) and that might suit your requirements. I am not sure whether it is available in India but you could contact AKG distributors.

Not able to get hold of a 555??
90% performance of 598 in less than half the price..
Call dealers from just dial and check out..

I called almost all dealers from my state. Sennheiser's Gujarat distributor/company office received so many inquiries for same model so they called me directly and informed that model is not in stock anywhere in Gujarat.

Here's the best prices I have got for following models. Which is best value for money?

Fostex T50Rp - Rs 6200
Sen HD555 - Rs 6800 (on officeduniya.com, never used it, not sure if trustworthy)
Sen HD558 - Rs 8000
Sen HD595 - Rs 9500
Sen HD598 - Rs 11500
Audio Technica ATH-AD900 - Rs 13500 (out of budget though)

German Maestro GMP 8.35 D - does not look attractive but sound quality and durability reviews were impressive.

I inquired at most of showrooms in Ahmedabad. I can only get audition of HD650 and HD598 probably. Other than that, they have only entry level like HD201.

I don't think there would be any dealer in Gujarat for Audio Technica, so no chance of auditioning.

It's so diappointing that it's not possible to audition shortlisted hps even from Sen at Ahmedabad. I thought I'll get to audition most of them at Ahmedabad.

Hifivision experts, your advises are everything now!!

I finally bought HD 598. I love them, still getting used to weight though as I am used to PX100 weight.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back