Delhi Audiophile get_together-Dec'09

Also a breakdown of those exotic components would not go amiss.

From Left to right: Avant Grande Speakers with active sub, Omega BS, Nagra Tube Amp on the ground, Top shelf : Lyrita tube amp, Audio Aero Capitole Cd Player (2nd shelf), Tube Pre Amp, the other two at the bottom of the shelf looked like a pre amp and a power amp right at the bottom, Next rack: Clear Audio LP , 2nd Shelf: Oppo DVD player acting as the CD player for RW CDs here kept on top of the power amp, below it the Red Wine amp, next to it the Nagra tube Mono Block was kept, and then the right Omega/ Avant Grande Speakers.

Last edited:
Hi Delhi Guys,

It is great to see another meet happen with HFV members.Glad all of you enjoyed meeting each other and the music that flowed there. Let other cities
follow suit and let there be more delight:)...

cheers,
sri

i would have really loved to hear skr's setup. a couple of years back i had pmed him before becoming a regular member of the forum. the speakers with his tt is ahh... :) you really must enjoy music with that skr!

asit,

do forget comparisons shootouts etc. truly mature audiophiles come to realize that what really matters is what your own ears hear. including myself after a while :) knowing kamal am sure it was more in the lines of listening to different amps since they're at hand. even within tube amps you'll find camps of tube lovers ;) kamal is of the 2A3 persuasion i am in the 45 camp :D

regards

edit: good to see faces especially sumant who i correspond with :)

Hi friends,

It was a great miss for me as I was away to my college in Vellore (140 km from Chennai) where I studied 20 years back for a family get together of our batch!

Kamal did call me and informed - Thanks! and looking forward for many such meetings.

rgds,

Hi,

"Shootout" was the wrong word, comparisons is more like it.

This was all done is a sense of fun -

Again, serious auditioning should be done listening to your own music in a more controlled environment - one with you and your music. All these sessions really tell you is that choices are available from around the world, and that well designed equipment even in India can hold its own.

Regards,
Viren

I was a bit worried after reading few postings about "shootout" as it was undermining the fun we had meeting each other and enjoying music.
Viren's posting today could not have been better and timely.
The whole thing started when some one recommended Omega speakers to Amit and I offered an opportunity to try them. Both Viren and Amit were keen to listen to their amps driving Omega's which are 91 or may be 93db in sensivity. All the amps did well as explained by Viren. There was nothing more then that. And that is the reason we did not listened to my amplifiers namely Red Wine,nagras or Sun Audio.
Viren correctly said that serious audiotioning must be done in a more controlled environment with your own music and system.
SKR

Thanks Ashish!

SKR - these amps and speakers, I am curious. How many years did it take for you getting into this hobby to accumulate this treasure trove? Also what genre of music do you generally prefer to listen to? Do you also use the same system for movies?

I guessed Amit and SKR incorrectly, actually interchanged.

Introduction: from left to right
Mr. Santosh Kumar(SKR), Mr. Sehgal, Mr. Amit (Noida),Mr Viren Bakshi (at the back side), Mr. Kamal, Mr. Sumit, Me (Ashish Kesarwani), Vj-Hifi, Sitting members: again from left to right Mr. Rahul Pandit (Panditji),Mr. Sumant Sharma (Heliumflight).

Folks,

It was a cold Afternoon musicial social getogether. lastly but not the least it was all done in the spirit of fun.

Mr Santosh (SKR) comes into those league of people who believes in sharing his happiness with others. And as I always say these are the people who can command my respect anyday.

Below are only my unbiased experiences or impressions and not a guide/ review/ shootout but some pointers which made me pen. Im not a qualified reviewer nor is this article written or to be used as a guide for the sole intension of making any purchase. There can be no substitute to hearing your own 'ears.

Music we heard were:-
- Rush
- Dire Straits- Money for nothing, Brother in Arms,
- Sarah Maclachlan- Just like me, Unchained Melody,
- Pink Floyd- Dark side of the moon
- Larry Carlton

Below is the combination of equipment we listened too. A one word/ sentence has been used to best describe it as most suitable.

1.Low powered Antiquity audio SET monoblocks with Omega bookshelf spkrs-single driver Fostex 6" driver (was connected before I arrived)
2.Leben S300SX (pushpull EL84 tubes)with Omega Bookshelf- Leben is a catchy glossy looking amp (was connected before I arrived)
3.Lyrita EL84 Push pull amp with Omega spkrs- (was connected before I arrived)
4.Leben with Avant Garde Duo- Balanced in its musical presentation. More of laidback sound. It could be played all day without doing anything annoying.
5.Lyrita EL84 Push pull with Avant garde Duo.- Lyrita is an hand crafted wooden amp.- Good Sound staging. More immediacy and presence
6.Lyrita 6C33CB SET with Avant Garde- Musicality detail & nuances with richer harmonics with well controlled bass.
7.Promitheus passive Pre Amp >Sun Audio 2A3 SET poweramp- Midrange was killer- detail & nuances.

You can realize the true potential of any amp only on extended listening. I go for enjoyment that which has livier, immediacy presentation with the harmonics intact.

Note: I needed to let this been known to HFV members else Virenji would not care less as he would like to sell his stuff to people who really enjoy music rather than those who simply showoff his equipment. I can vouch for this as I share this experience. Viren's Lyrita EL84 Push pull amp had only 1 hour of breakin. That means the Leben had more burn in.... This amp has now been sent to the customer.

Once again Id like to personally thank each and every member who participated in the Delhi Audiophile get_together-Dec'09 to make it a success. You all can give yourself all a round of applauds.:clapping:

--
Kindest regards,
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Last edited:
Though I got a call from Ashish but missed this amazing opportunity to meet the true audiophiles, as i was out of Delhi. Reading the entire thread I can very well see how much fun it must have been with Music and Beer. I wish this kind of meet will happen again soon so that I (and all who missed the meet) can have another opportunity to meet the true music/audio lovers.

Regards
Sammy

Well, come tomorrow evening at 6pm to SKR's place -having a "mini" get together with Dr Sanjay Dhawan, HifiAshok,Heliumflight(will try his best, he says) & another audiophile who's amazing & in an entirely difft league !

Well, come tomorrow evening at 6pm to SKR's place -having a "mini" get together with Dr Sanjay Dhawan, HifiAshok,Heliumflight(will try his best, he says) & another audiophile who's amazing & in an entirely difft league !

Really appreciate your invitation Kamal, but tomorrow is 31st and evening is already booked with wife and kid. Will join the next one for sure, when ever it is.

Hi,

Did the proposed get together on 31 Dec.take place?

Please post impressions of the Nagra and Sun amps.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Did the proposed get together on 31 Dec.take place?

Please post impressions of the Nagra and Sun amps.

Regards
Rajiv

there seems a slight confusion. the g2g was proposed for the 1st evening.

some of us (Kamalji, Dr. Garg & self) got together. a few weren't able to make it.

the Nagra was not used as their pre was not easily/immediately available. SKR suggested they sounded their best with their own pre.

yes, the Sun Audio was used.

thanx SKR, for accommodating us and a lovely evening.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back