Demuxing Audio/Video Streams from DVD/Blu-ray

bhaskie

I am starting this thread so that we can analyse the audio/video streams from a/v containers and all associated demuxing fundas that can help the folks here in any way possible! Feel free to post your questions or comments!

DVD LPCM tracks
Certain DVD's (mainly music DVDs) sometimes contain an uncompressed LPCM (same as raw) stereo soundtrack. If you have a stereo amplifier (not an A/v receiver) you should set the audio track of the DVD to LPCM stereo and connect it to a Stereo Amp (no AVR) via 2-channel analogue outs.

If you check sizes of these audio tracks in a DVD you will see:
DD AC3 5.1 surround track - less than 400 MB
DTS 5.1 surround track - 500 MB
L-PCM Stereo track - 1GB

The lossless stereo track, compared to lossy DD 5.1 or DTS would sound better with the amp. FOr example the difference between playing a high-bitrate mp3 and a flac/ape file!

If the DVD does not have a PCM stereo stereo track and you are not using a 5.1 setup, you can still choose the Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS track and it will downsample into 2 channels, but the quality will not be the same.

There are some good tools available for free that let you demux the LPCM or AC3 or DTS audio streams from VOB files (DVD-video).

This is an old tool (does its job extremely well)
http://www.videohelp.com/download/Vobedit06.zip

PgcDemux - An alternative to VobEdit, PgcDemux demuxes a DVD/VOB,IFO (PGC) in its elementary streams, video(m2v), audio(ac3,wav,dts,mpa) and subtitles(sup).

PgcDemux

Generally music/concert DVD (Video) discs come with LPCM tracks, but some others do as well!

[I will keep adding more information to this thread!]

Bhaskie, if you don't want to extract the information but just want to see what the DVD has, I was told by Ram (MadBullRam) that MediaInfo is a good tool. It is available on the same page.

I downloaded a copy and haven't yet learned how to use it. Shall experiment and post information on the Blockbuster@99 DVDs. BTW, I saw a few more of the DVDs on the shop floor today such as Blade, Blair Witch Project, etc. If this continues we are in for some good movie watching times.

Cheers

Last edited:
Bhaskie, if you don't want to extract the information but just want to see what the DVD has, I was told by Ram (MadBullRam) that MediaInfo is a good tool. It is available on the same page.

Venkat Sir,

DVD Decrypter too will give you same information. It's an all in one tool (well almost) and free too.

dvdtoaudiocd04.gif

Demuxing Audio/Video Streams from MKV (matroska)

If you have a .mkv file and want to extract its streams, you should download this tool - mkvtoolnix.

mkvtoolnix -- Matroska tools for Linux/Unix and Windows

If you download the windows executable, read the readme in - C:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix\doc\mkvextract.html. It has all the examples.

For example, to list the streams:

Code:
F:\MOVIES\The Dark Knight (2008)>"C:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe" -i "The Dark Knight (2008).mkv"
File 'The Dark Knight (2008).mkv': container: Matroska
Track ID 1: video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC)
Track ID 2: audio (A_AC3)
Track ID 3: subtitles (S_TEXT/UTF8)

To extract the AC3 track from the above matroska container:

Code:
F:\MOVIES\The Dark Knight (2008)>"C:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix\mkvextract.exe" tracks "The Dark Knight (2008).mkv" 2:TDK.ac3
Extracting track 2 with the CodecID 'A_AC3' to the file 'TDK.ac3'. Container format: Dolby Digital (AC3)

Venkat Sir,

DVD Decrypter too will give you same information. It's an all in one tool (well almost) and free too.

moserw, you are right about dvd decrypter - it is a great tool.
But how do you demux streams from vob files present in the box? In the IFO mode, the source either the DVD drives or Nero ImageDrive (if you have one).
How do you mount existing vob files on the system?

Attachments

• dvddecr.jpg
    dvddecr.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 59
moserw, you are right about dvd decrypter - it is a great tool.
But how do you demux streams from vob files present in the box? In the IFO mode, the source either the DVD drives or Nero ImageDrive (if you have one).
How do you mount existing vob files on the system?

Unfortunately DVD Decrypter is/was a tool for ripping DVDs especially the region protected ones and in fact the best there was and free too. That's the reason it was shut down by the entertainment industry and further production/updates to it were stopped. It does not do demuxing of VOB files on the HDD. I've not needed this feature till now. Let me check what's available for this and I'll get back to you.

Hi

I give below the link for XviD4PSP which can demux Audio, as well as Video and can do anything and everything for converting videos for PSP, PS3, Xbox 360, iPod, iPhone, BlackBerry, Hardware DVD and PC. Most important it is a free software which can be downloaded from the following link.

Import formats:
AVI DIVX ASF MPG MPE M2V MPEG VOB TS M2P D2V MOV QT 3GP HDMOV RM RAM RMVB RPX SMI SMIL MKV OGM WMV DVR-MS PMP FLV.

Export formats:
PMP AVC, MP4 PSP AVC, MP4 PSP ASP, MP4 iPod, MP4 iPod 640, MP4 iPod Touch, MP4 iPhone, MP4 PS3, MP4 Xbox 360, MP4, AVI, AVI DV PAL, AVI DV NTSC, AVI Hardware, MPEG-2 PAL, MPEG-2 NTSC, MPEG2-TS, MPEG2-PS, FLV, MKV.

Minimal requirements to system:
Windows Vista, XP SP2, Server 2003.
Microsoft Framework 3.0

Winnydows: XviD4PSP & GlassBalance: XviD4PSP 5.0

Regards

sub

Hello Guys,
I want to understand is it possible to create a dvd audio disc after extracting information from a DVD. Say for example I have this Rockon DVD.I want to extract the songs from in dolby digital 5.1 decoded format and write them to a writable DVD. Then will I get a dvd audio disc or there is something more to it. If I play the standard cd of rock on then I can also get surround effects from onkyo receiver but if I get a disc made from DVD itself where is the theoritical difference?
Thnaks,
Mahiruha.

I too have a similar question.
I have a couple of convert video dvds but I want to extract audio from it - so that I can listen to the songs on my CDP.

I use mediacoder to extract aud from Vid files.It has AC3 opt ,but never tried.
only stereo.

Re: Demuxing Audio/Video Streams from MKV (matroska)

If you have a .mkv file and want to extract its streams, you should download this tool - mkvtoolnix.

mkvtoolnix -- Matroska tools for Linux/Unix and Windows

If you download the windows executable, read the readme in - C:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix\doc\mkvextract.html. It has all the examples.

For example, to list the streams:

Code:
F:\MOVIES\The Dark Knight (2008)>"C:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe" -i "The Dark Knight (2008).mkv"
File 'The Dark Knight (2008).mkv': container: Matroska
Track ID 1: video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC)
Track ID 2: audio (A_AC3)
Track ID 3: subtitles (S_TEXT/UTF8)

To extract the AC3 track from the above matroska container:

Code:
F:\MOVIES\The Dark Knight (2008)>"C:\Program Files\MKVtoolnix\mkvextract.exe" tracks "The Dark Knight (2008).mkv" 2:TDK.ac3
Extracting track 2 with the CodecID 'A_AC3' to the file 'TDK.ac3'. Container format: Dolby Digital (AC3)

I use TSMuxer to demux Audio & Video out of MKV files and works a charm. Also use ea3cto for converting DTS --> DD, It has an embedded option to work with TSMuxer as well and gives you options for downgrading HD Audio to 5.1 (Well if you don't have an Amp accepting HDMI)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back