Denon 1311Xp vs Onkyo HTs3300

Wolfbane

Hi guys,
My first post here.
I have been a passive observer here for quite some time.

I recently decided to upgrade my viewing and listening experience at home.
So upgraded my old CRT telly and brought a Samsung 40 inch series 6 LCD.(has an optical out)

For the HT, i did quite a few auditions viz. the JBL 133/134, Klipsh, jamo.
The latter 2 didnt not fit in my budget which made my choice veer towards the JBL which i did not like so much.

My primary needs are movies and gaming on PS3. While music is very little. I am not that much into punchy bass as well.

Yesterday I also auditioned the Onkyo HT3300. It was pretty good.
But to add to my woes I auditioned the Denon Xp1311Xp which was really way above the onkyo.

Now, I am really confused as I do not want to raise my budget by 15k (denon - 40k, onkyo - 25k). especially if i decide to change the houses or decide to upgrade.

Also my room is 10ft x 20 ft with provisions for speakers made at the 4 extremes corners of the room, near the ceiling. I have my doubt about the utility of the rear speakers at this height especially while my seating position is almost in the middle.

My head says onkyo (also my wallet) but my heart says denon. please advice?

All replies are welcome.

Rgds
Wolfbane/Abhishek

Dude, tell me abt it.
was going thru the specs of both. more confused now :sad:
AVR wise:
I think the AVRs of both are pretty comparable with one leading the other in some dept or so. But both are ok.

Speaker wise:
Denon sounded better probably because of the extra thump the active sub woofer created.
but the front, center and rear all seem to be less responsive at 150Hz - 20KHz.

Onkyo with its passive SW lacked the bass, but all types of speakers were more responsive at 80Hz-20kHz. think it was done to make up for the lack of low frequency reproduction.

Oh one think that goes for the Denon speakers is the 2way, 3 speakers front L/R which definitely scores over the Onkyo.

but is this feature worth the extra 15k rupees is the big question mark?

Which is something i guess will depend upon individual preferences and budget.

Hey Folks,

Denon AVR -1311 is quoted 25k in profx...try to bargain with them he should give you 10-15% discount.

And about the performance Denon Beats Onkoy definitely. I have paired it up with Wharfedale Vardus tower speakers and denon drives it Perfectly well..

@Sandeep27 - Am talking about the entire HT package. the price your talking about is just for the AVR.
Also, what are the specs of your Wharfdale speakers?
I think denon's dual circuitry is probably the reason why it can drive it better.

I am no expert. But what I have found in this forum that in various thread you will find that people here vouch for Japanese electronics, although the same is not true about their speakers. With a budget of 40K, I think you should go for Yamaha and mission combo. (Yamaha RXV-467 as receiver). Please contact Yogesh for great deals for the same.

By the way one of the forum guy got Denon 1311 for 20k from Griha Vaibhav, Bangalore. Don't know if there are any Diwali sale going on.
Or else Onkyo, time tested and great value for money.

@ kittu - I felt that its not very user friendly, Direct Mode has drawbacks, No ProLogic II via HDMI , Onkyo does not decode the True HD/DTS Master HD Audio. Now having said that if you are looking for Budget HTIB i guess its value for money.

@ Chiron - let me clarify you its not the members here who are vouching for a particular Electronics but its on the requirement, Performance and VFM.
And yes it was me who struck the deal @ grihavaibhav

@ Wolfbane - Onkoy HTs3300 have few cons that i have mentioned above.i struck a deal where Denon 1311 + Wharfedale vardu 400 (tower speakers ) which cost me 37k
i went for Vardus 400 as i am more inclined towards watching movie as these serves the purpose. Else if you have audioned wharfedale diamond 9.2 ( 14k) ( Great speakers ) you can pair it with Denon 1311 which makes a great combination again and will cost you 34k.
Now its your call...make a wise choice.

Last edited:
So all these said features about 508 Onkyo model are false

ADVANCED FEATURES

HDMI (Version 1.4a to Support 3D and Audio Return Channel) with Deep Color, x.v.Color, LipSync, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Multichannel PCM, and CEC
Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio Decoding
Dolby Pro Logic IIz for New Surround Channels
Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-Bit DACs (PCM1690) for All Channels
Jitter-Cleaning Circuit Technology
Audyssey 2EQ for Room Acoustic Correction
Audyssey Dynamic Volume
Audyssey Dynamic EQ for Loudness Correction
Powered Zone 2 and Zone 2 Line-Out for Playback of Separate Source in Another Room
Overlaid On-Screen Display (OSD) via HDMI

Onkyo Europe - TX-SR508

Just spoke to a dealer in Mumbai.
He is ready to give the Denon 1311XP for 36K without installation while the Onkyo HT3300 is quoted at 23k.

@Sandeep27, the wharfdale diamond 9.2 looks tempting if i decide on an upgrade path.

Where can i audition these speakers? Any link which gives their approximate prices?

@borg, where have you placed your rear speakers? Mine will be a bit of a problem as I have got wire connections just below the ceiling at the rear end of the room.
How does it perform (the O HT3300) in real life terms, meaning mp3 and Cable STB/DTH Stb etc?

Just spoke to a dealer in Mumbai.
@borg, where have you placed your rear speakers? Mine will be a bit of a problem as I have got wire connections just below the ceiling at the rear end of the room.
?

rear side of the room@ ear level on opposite walls

@

@ Chiron - let me clarify you its not the members here who are vouching for a particular Electronics but its on the requirement, Performance and VFM.

@ Wolfbane - Onkoy HTs3300 have few cons that i have mentioned above.i struck a deal where Denon 1311 + Wharfedale vardu 400 (tower speakers ) which cost me 37k
i went for Vardus 400 as i am more inclined towards watching movie as these serves the purpose. Else if you have audioned wharfedale diamond 9.2 ( 14k) ( Great speakers ) you can pair it with Denon 1311 which makes a great combination again and will cost you 34k.

Hi Sandeep27,

Can you let us know which branch of Grihavaibav you got 1311 for 20k ? Also where to get 9.2 for 14k ? thanks in advance for the info.

cheers

Murali

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks mate. Will check out for Denon at Grihavaibav.
One more info. For 3k difference whether to go Vardus 400 FS over 9.2 bookshelf ?
Your inputs please.

cheers

Murali

Hi Murali,

I recommend you audit both. both diamond and vardus sounded good to me but since our living room is quite big i had to go for towers..

happy hunting..:)

@ kittu - I felt that its not very user friendly, Direct Mode has drawbacks, No ProLogic II via HDMI , Onkyo does not decode the True HD/DTS Master HD Audio. Now having said that if you are looking for Budget HTIB i guess its value for money.

Sandeep,
I saw your suggestions regarding Denon1311 and Warfedale speakers. I am a novice in this field and could you help me with some of the basic questions I have ?

1) HOw much did Denon 1311 cost you and from where in Bangalore
2) The speakers you metioned are the tower speakers , How much will the entire 5.1 speakers cost if you go for Warfedale 9.2
3) Do you suggest going for the Denon 1311 HTB which includes everything ?
4)What are the other comparable options My budget is 40K

Thanks

Hi jjn,

1) HOw much did Denon 1311 cost you and from where in Bangalore - 20k @ grihavaibhav , jp nagar.

2) The speakers you mentioned are the tower speakers , How much will the entire 5.1 speakers cost if you go for Warfedale 9.2 - wharfedale 9.2 are bookshelf speakers it will cost around 14k

3) Do you suggest going for the Denon 1311 HTB which includes everything ? - again its what sounds better is what you should go for ...

4)What are the other comparable options My budget is 40K - you can go with basic 5.1 channel AVR (Denon 1311 / yamaha 467 ) and you can pair this with either ( wharfedale 9.2 bookshelf / tower speakers )

cheers,,,

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back