Denon 1610 - Info on FloorStanders and SW

Miany

Hi all,
A big THANKS to all those behind this highly informative Forum!!! U guys rock!!

Shop- ProFX bangalore
AV Receiver - Denon 1610 (Zeroed in on this one!!)
Front Speaker - Polk Audio Tsi400 (29K)
Subwoofer - Polk Audio Psw110 (13K)

Any other choice for the speakers, in the similar price range?? Please advice. I need only a 2.1 as of now. I may later upgrade that to a proper 5.1.

How does MS Avant 906i sound with 1610? My primary use is for music only.

Also, Denon is available only through ProFX in Bangalore??

Please advice..

thanks,
Miany

Hi all,
A big THANKS to all those behind this highly informative Forum!!! U guys rock!!

Shop- ProFX bangalore
AV Receiver - Denon 1610 (Zeroed in on this one!!)
Front Speaker - Polk Audio Tsi400 (29K)
Subwoofer - Polk Audio Psw110 (13K)

Any other choice for the speakers, in the similar price range?? Please advice. I need only a 2.1 as of now. I may later upgrade that to a proper 5.1.

How does MS Avant 906i sound with 1610? My primary use is for music only.

Also, Denon is available only through ProFX in Bangalore??

Please advice..

thanks,
Miany

Hi,

Denon is available with Music Ranch, Vector Systems and Total Sound in bangalore.

cheers

Hi,

Denon is available with Music Ranch, Vector Systems and Total Sound in bangalore.

cheers

Miany,
In that same price range, if you looking at floorstanders only, you can check out the q acoustics 1030 at 27k, the psb alpha t1(about 27k), jamo c405, mission m35i(25k) all very good speakers if you listen to a lot of music. check out magmas budget speakers- a noobs take for a detailed list of options.

Thanks for the fast responses guys!!!

In your opinion, which floorstander might be the best suited with 1610? Also, what about the subwoofer?

Thanks,
Miany

Anyone tried MS Avant 906i with Denon 1610 AVR? How does it sound? I checked out Polk Audio Tsi400 and it sounded nice. I consulted one dealer and he said 906i will go better with Marantz AVRs.

Any opinions on this one??

thanks,
Miany

Try the Polk RTi series. Its much better than TSi.
The floorstanders are expensive, but the bookshelves are quite reasonable.

I have had some discussions on this one.. Noone really encouraged me to go for Polk Audio. I am getting inputs to check out MS Avant and Wharfedales...

how about MS Avant 906i and Wharfedale 9.6 diamond? Did anyone tried this with 1610? those inputs will be valuable to me...

thanks,
Miany

Polk, I have found, is usually bright. It may look good and be okay for a loud party but will give you a earache after some time. The RTi series bookshelf (not sure of the model) is decent though. Did you see all the KEF models at ProFx? I've heard that they have come up with a budget range...worth checking it out.

Like iaudio suggests, PSB is a good option. Also Monitor Audio though it might be a bit more expensive. Not sure of the wharfies build quality but put them on your list.

Just a thought...If you are mainly into music, why not look for a dedicated 2 channel setup?

Even though, my primary interest will be music, i dont want to restrict the setup to that only. tomorrow, i may need to upgrade to a decent 5.1. then i dont want to change the whole stuff...

how is KEF C7? i am going to try that out this weekend at ProFX.

- Miany

What is your choice in music?

That should be one of the main parameters for selection of your spkrs. Kef are generally on the warmer side (only slightly IMHO) and are well suited for Jazz and classical sort of music but perform well on rock too. They may also work well in balancing out your AVR. I have not heard C7 but my experience with other models like coda 90 (which I own), q5, q7 and iq7 have been very good. You might find them in stark contrast to polk. The good thing is, you can compare both of them in ProFx.

Another point, if you are looking at fronts right now and have definite plans of extending it to a multi-channel setup, look for speakers that are current and are generally available. Later on, you may face trouble while trying to match your fronts and center which is very important.

Choice of music - I must admit that i normally listen to whatever i feel like, depending on my mood which involves mainly soft rock and jazz. I listen to hindi and tamil mp3s as well. I must say that i prefer good vocal quality...

I am not much into metal stuff though i might listen to metallica and similar bands once in a while.

The polk Tsi400 sounded nice (Hotel California). I felt it a bit harsh in some songs.. for example, Linkin park - numb.. but i want a comparison before deciding on the final choice.

anyway, i will try this new KEF C7 this weekend.

Checked KEF C7 today...

It was not that impressive.. I felt it was terribly lacking in BASE and middle range..... The guy told me that it's good in HIGH though... But again..its what MY ears felt...

I tried Polk Tsi400 again and it was sounding nice (especially in BASE and middle range) compared to the KEF C7...

I would say KEF C7 is not worth 39K (price at ProFX)..

So the hunt is going to become aggresive now..

Next on my list.

- Wharfedale 9.5, 9.6
- MS Avant 906i
- Jamo C405
- Mission 35i

I read someone here stating Mission 35i as a revelation. How many of you second that??

- Miany

Checked KEF C7 today...

It was not that impressive.. I felt it was terribly lacking in BASE and middle range..... The guy told me that it's good in HIGH though... But again..its what MY ears felt...

I tried Polk Tsi400 again and it was sounding nice (especially in BASE and middle range) compared to the KEF C7...

I would say KEF C7 is not worth 39K (price at ProFX)..

So the hunt is going to become aggresive now..

Next on my list.

- Wharfedale 9.5, 9.6
- MS Avant 906i
- Jamo C405
- Mission 35i

I read someone here stating Mission 35i as a revelation. How many of you second that??

- Miany

Suprateep would have been the best person to tell you about the mission m35i's. Try digging up his posts on the same.

Have you tried Kef IQ series?

I tried Kef IQ with Denon 1910 and 2310 and was okay. But I agree that Kef is not that great on the BASS department. But Mids and Highs are good and sweet.

I own a Denon 2310 and Kef IQ7 fronts. Got it from ProFx Bangalore 2 months back.

I didnt try the IQ series... I tried the new C7... I think i will add those to my review list.... BTW, i got some really good reviews about wharfedale diamond 9.6. I am planning an audition ASAP.

Also, i have made up my mind to go for 1910 rather than 1610 :)

I have tried Wharf 9.5 and 10.1. But tried with Onkyo though at Vector systems Bangalore. 9.5 were sounding really good, little bit harsh though. May be becoz of the Onkyo Amp. And I was not able to audition Whars with Denon.

I went ahead with Kef IQ-7 becaue I got a great deal on them as it was discontinued model, but a brand new boxed set. The latest mode is IQ-70.

But I felt IQ-7 to sound better than the new IQ-70 :). However IQ-50 is really cool as well. Felt it better than IQ-70 (all these reviews based on my pair of ears though :D )

I have tried Wharf 9.5 and 10.1. But tried with Onkyo though at Vector systems Bangalore. 9.5 were sounding really good, little bit harsh though. May be becoz of the Onkyo Amp. And I was not able to audition Whars with Denon.

I went ahead with Kef IQ-7 becaue I got a great deal on them as it was discontinued model, but a brand new boxed set. The latest mode is IQ-70.

But I felt IQ-7 to sound better than the new IQ-70 :). However IQ-50 is really cool as well. Felt it better than IQ-70 (all these reviews based on my pair of ears though :D )

John, what would you say is the difference you felt between the kef iq7 and the Wharfdale 9.5?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back