Suggestions for Upgrade Path and Speaker Advice

maxms

So upgrade bug has finally arrived and looking for advice from fellow members and experts on upgrade path and advice.
My main requirements are for Movies and TV series (95%). Music use will be limited but would still prefer something with acceptable music performance for those occasionally listening and during get together in home.

Current Setup and Background
My setup at time of upgrade bud included following components which we got 6-7 years back at time of previous bug.

-Panasonic Plasma TV
-Onkyo 3300 HTiB (receiver model HT-R380) with stock speakers taking take of audio needs
-WD TV live Hub media player
-PS3 (rarely used nowadays)
-Hathway Set top box (no longer used)

There is no dedicated HT room and living room itself doubles up as entertainment room. Living cum dining room is 14'x22' with one end having dining table and TV setup is one side (not in center of room).

Though there were some limitation TV supported only 720p and WD TV not supporting x265 and 4K with no app availability and no software update since years, was mostly happy with this setup and enjoying it.
Though things started to change with Streaming services becoming primary source media consumption. First PS3 was used for Prime videos and Netflix contents but it has no other apps available and limited in functionality. Also WIFI and Bluetooth stopped working so it was a pain to work with controller in wired mode. So, process and research for getting a new media player begin. Finally settled on Nvidia Shield TV considering playing capability of HDD contents also and few other factors. Got it in Dec of 2018 and since than it had been primary media and gaming device.
However, with Shield TV current upgrade bug started as now wanted to properly utilize this powerful device. Initially wanted to upgrade TV first to enjoy 4K contents on big screen and get a 55 incher 4k TV. So with limited budget taking big brands out of picture research started again on new TV. With so many budget models launched and the confusing world of 4K, UHD, HDR, DV, PQ refresh rate etc etc. Soon realized 4K TV world is still in its infancy and involving and there are lot of compatibility issues with various standards especially in budget range. Also realized that I will need to upgrade AVR also to get proper experience.

Also during this time realized that though audio quality is OK I am not too happy with clarity and details And I would actually need to upgrade full Home theatre. So, focus moved again to even more confusing and diverse world of home theater (that too on limited budget).

Budget, Upgrade Path and timeline

Considering upcoming future expenses and expected saving have decided on a budget of 1.5L for all the components. This will not be just for now or one-time expenditure but total planned in staggered way spread over a year. Will be difficult to Since already have a working system current component will be used till upgraded.
Will include cost toward Front speakers, Center channel, TV, AV receiver, Sub-woofer, Surround Speakers.

Have been going though forum since last few weeks to get an idea and thinking of taking following upgrade path along with expected budget for each phase.

1. Phase 1 - Now:
Front and Center Speakers (Total Rs. 30K)

As front speakers are main audio components want to update then first.
This is the most difficult choice and these speakers should work with current receiver (Onkyo HT-R380) also work with new receiver once upgraded. Have been going through various forum threads and reviews for last few weeks and thinking of following sets
Front
First choice was to go with bookshelf but with no space on my TV cabinet either option was to go though wall mountable or get speaker stands which would add to cost. So thought of having Floor standers itself which can be positioned on side of TV cabinet.
Shortlisted following models.
a. Polk T50 (22K) - with this can add Polk T30 as center (9k) and later on T15 as surrounds (10K)
b. Yamaha NS 8390 (18K) - one of cheapest FS available. Can add Yamaha NS -P51(11K) as center and surrounds now itself and also will be saving some money for other components.
c. Yamaha NS F71 (25K) - better review than NS8390. Later can add Yamaha NS -P51(11K) to complete 5.0 setup..1
d. Taga Harmony TAV 506 (25K) - Cheapest of lot. can complete 5.0 setup now itself and utilize budget elsewhere.

e. Polk S15 (20K) - During my search also saw Polk signature S50 (36K) which has lots of praise. Could have tries to extend budget but compatible center channel Polk S30 (20K) would take cost beyond limit. But then can across Polk S15 (20K) bookshelf which also looks decent but still adding center Polk S30 (20K) will still take cost upwards. Is there any cheaper center which would be compatible with Polk signature series??

Had checked other preferred bookshelf speakers in forum Dali Zensor3 , ELAV B6,Wharfdale 220, Klipsch etc but adding compatible centre would take cost beyond. Also as per general consensus Yamaha and Polk are considered better for movies so kept focus on these.

2. Phase 2 - in 2-3 months
TV upgrade (40K)

55 inch 4K with HDR with good PQ. Smartness/Sound quality are not important. Thinking of going with Vu Pixel light 2019 model. Planning to do it in next 2-3 months. Will be opening a separate thread when planning for this.

3. Phase 3 - in 6 Months
AV Receiver (40-45K)

Planning to upgrade AV receiver in upcoming 6 months. Ones shortlisted in nearby budget are Yamaha V-585 and Denon X-1500.
Looking for 7.2 channels to keep future upgrade paths open for Atmos 5.1.2 setup by getting Atmos speakers or use existing Onkyo speakers.
Again, here looking for receivers which are compatible and best suited for LCR speakers purchased in Phase 1 and future phases purchase.

4 Phase 4 - in 7-8 Months
Subwoofer (20-25K)

Do not need overwhelming window shattering bass but nice good quality bass which will enhance movie watching experience. Subwoofer which is compatible with above purchases. General suggestion is to go for dual subwoofer setup so one of the reasons want to go with receiver supporting 2 subwoofers out so can add one more at later stage.
Kept this for later after receiver upgrade as current Onkyo receiver supports only passive subwoofer. But it adding a proper subwoofer will give better experience now itself and there is some way to use it current receiver, can reshuffle the phases to plan this for earlier purchase.

5. Phase 5 - In a year
Surrounds/Heights (10-15K)
If not in Phase one, these will come last. Again only requirement here is compatibility with other components.

Looking for suggestions for fellow members if there is a better way to plan out phases and purchases.
For Upgrade path , main confusion is for TV, AV receiver and Subwoofer, which should be considered first, and which ones can be moved to later.

Please note that any excess expenditure earlier will reduce budget from future Phases. Also any future purchase will have to consider compatibility with already bought components.

For Upgrade path , main confusion is for TV, AV receiver and Subwoofer, which should be considered first, and which ones can be moved to later.

Here is what i would do..

I would keep the Onkyo HTIB AVR and upgrade the speakers first..If you prefer not to spend much, then you can settle for a 5.0 speaker package first..

Taga Harmony TAV 506 (25K) - Cheapest of lot. can complete 5.0 setup now itself and utilize budget elsewhere.

The 5.0 package is good because, there is no subwoofer attached to it.. So you can add a subwoofer later of your choice.. To an extent they can compensate for the absence of active subwoofer..

You can add this speaker package to your AVR and it would be an improvement over your existing full range onkyo speakers..

Post that i would add an active subwoofer to the Onkyo AVR.. The Onkyo AVR doesn't have sub pre-out since it is budget model, but you can still add a subwoofer with high -level inputs to AVR's L/R speaker outputs..

This way, you will update your HT system economically and re-use the existing components, without much upgrades and expenditure..

Then uprgade your AVR, depending on your budget.. If you have budget for 5.1.2 AVR, then you can re-use a pair of Onkyo HTIB speakers as heights, until you buy a pait of dedicated heights..

Upgrade your TV at the last.. Sound is what enriches the movie experience..

These inputs are from what i believe would work best for your situation.. But choose what you deem fit..

Thanks for quick reply @elangoas

Taga Harmony TAV 506 (25K) The 5.0 package is good because, there is no subwoofer attached to it.. So you can add a subwoofer later of your choice.. To an extent they can compensate for the absence of active subwoofer..
This was the first set which i considered which looked good for price. But these where 6 ohms so was not sure if my old receiver will be able to take the load. Since Polk's where rated at 8 ohms so focused on Polk considering they would be easier to run on current receiver and will not stress it.
Will my current receiver be able to drive these speakers as will be very difficult to carry receiver for audition. and also work well with future Receiver upgrade.
From pictures center and surround in this package seems to have a keyhole mount, will I be able to wall mount them on normal screws? Another concern is as these are rear ported will wall mounting in this way impact audio quality (Center Mounted above TV and Surrounds on rear wall at 6.5 ft Height)?
There is another Taga Model 606 v3 at 5K more. Center and surrounds looks to be same there. Will take be a better option or should i rather save money for other components?

Also since will have limited flexibility with speaker placement (my current speakers are wall mounted at 6 ft height), would have preferred speakers more forgiving to proper placement.

Post that i would add an active subwoofer to the Onkyo AVR.. The Onkyo AVR doesn't have sub pre-out since it is budget model, but you can still add a subwoofer with high -level inputs to AVR's L/R speaker outputs..

This seems to be good option and considering it now, but hope there is no major negatives with this approach and going with this route will not impact current receiver. I was aware that active subwoofers require LFE connection. Which budget subwooofers support this feature.

Then uprgade your AVR, depending on your budget.. If you have budget for 5.1.2 AVR, then you can re-use a pair of Onkyo HTIB speakers as heights, until you buy a pait of dedicated heights..
Do not have need right now for 5.1.2 AVR, but was considering if any plan in future this may come in handy without need to upgrade receiver.
Main concern right now if that receiver should work well with other components which most probable would already have been purchased. Any suggested model?

Upgrade your TV at the last.. Sound is what enriches the movie experience..
Yes I too realized this , that why change first priority to update sound experience before TV.

Attaching my room plan also as that may help to provide proper suggestions and speaker placement advice.
room.jpg

One important point that i missed is since this is common living room, So aesthetics of suggested speakers and being kids friendly will also be important to get final approval from family members :).

This was the first set which i considered which looked good for price. But these where 6 ohms so was not sure if my old receiver will be able to take the load. Since Polk's where rated at 8 ohms so focused on Polk considering they would be easier to run on current receiver and will not stress it.
Will my current receiver be able to drive these speakers as will be very difficult to carry receiver for audition. and also work well with future Receiver upgrade.

Per the Onkyo specs and manual, Onkyo HTR 380 is capable of handling 6 ohms.. So no worries there..

From pictures center and surround in this package seems to have a keyhole mount, will I be able to wall mount them on normal screws?

Yes, you should be able to mount the center and surrounds on screws..

Another concern is as these are rear ported will wall mounting in this way impact audio quality (Center Mounted above TV and Surrounds on rear wall at 6.5 ft Height)?

i don't think so..Both the center speaker as well as surrounds will not be producing full range sound..They crossover in the AVR (generally 80Hz), will re-route it the subwoofer or in your case mains (floorstander). So, center & surrounds will be producing only above 80hz after mounted to wall, which shouldn't be an issue to sound quality IMO..

The height for surrounds can be variable..Usual recommended height is 1 ft above ear level when seated in your listening position..My guess is it that the tweeter should approx be 4.5 ft above the floor..

There is another Taga Model 606 v3 at 5K more. Center and surrounds looks to be same there. Will take be a better option or should i rather save money for other components?

Am not very sure if 606 v3 will have a significant performance over the 506.. I would leave the discretion to you, so choose on the best price you can get it.. IMO, you can save up the difference for subwoofer..

This seems to be good option and considering it now, but hope there is no major negatives with this approach and going with this route will not impact current receiver. I was aware that active subwoofers require LFE connection. Which budget subwooofers support this feature.

You can set the subwoofer as NO in AVR, this will re-route all the LFE content to the front L/R speakers.. When you buy a sub, make sure it has both high level inputs and outputs.. You will connect the subwoofer to AVR L/R speaker outputs, engage the crossover on subwoofer to 80Hz and connect the subwoofer high level outputs to speakers..So this way, subwoofer is in charge of bass below 80Hz.. This is only an interim step until you get your new AVR with dedicated sub pre-out.

Do not have need right now for 5.1.2 AVR, but was considering if any plan in future this may come in handy without need to upgrade receiver.
Main concern right now if that receiver should work well with other components which most probable would already have been purchased. Any suggested model?

Most modern AVR have support for 4 ohms speaker, so no issues there..In your 45K, you can get 5.1.2 capable AVR from any of the brands..Denon x 1500, Yamaha RXV 585, Pioneer vsx 932 should be possible..

Attaching my room plan also as that may help to provide proper suggestions and speaker placement advice.

Would it be possible for you to shift the TV and the L, C, R speakers to the 14ft wall?.. You may consider moving the sofa just before the dinning table.. This would give more ideal position of front and center speakers and give ample room for surrounds.. In this orientation, you can keep the sounds behind your listening position..Near dinning table, wall corners..

Thanks again for your time.
Few more queries

You can set the subwoofer as NO in AVR, this will re-route all the LFE content to the front L/R speakers.. When you buy a sub, make sure it has both high level inputs and outputs.. You will connect the subwoofer to AVR L/R speaker outputs, engage the crossover on subwoofer to 80Hz and connect the subwoofer high level outputs to speakers..
Was planning on Taga Harmony TSW -90 which was coming nicely within my budget but seems it has high level input but not output!!. So believe it will not support above mentioned solution.
Was able to find few options which have both high level input and output in or slightly above my budget.
In increasing cost - Polk Audio PSW10 (19K) , Yamaha NS-SW200 (22.5K) , BIC America V1020 Venturi (26K) , Yamaha Yst-Sw315 (27K) , Yamaha NS-SW300 (30K) , BIC Americs F12 (34K).
Which of the above offering will be most suitable.

Also have been mentioned in several posts about FS not properly utilized if subwoofers are also being used. and about 2 Subwoofers giving much better performance than single one.
Considering space constraints, I will be able to place subwoofers only on either side of TV. But with 2 FS L-R speakers will have space only for one subwoofer. So was wondering if instead of FS , should go with small bookshelf speakers with 2 subwoofers. and if these BS can be placed on top subwoofers on each side of TV. That will help bookshelf to be near ear level and also eliminate need for any wall mount or speaker stands. Can/should this be done? Or will result in more bad than good?

Would it be possible for you to shift the TV and the L, C, R speakers to the 14ft wall?.. You may consider moving the sofa just before the dinning table.. This would give more ideal position of front and center speakers and give ample room for surrounds..
As much as i want to , cannot do it ,at least not in any near future. Only current placement has Power points as well as internal wiring for internet and cable tv. Moving to 14 ft wall will require long power/lan cabling or rewiring power points and internet/cable which will be a major work.

Was planning on Taga Harmony TSW -90 which was coming nicely within my budget but seems it has high level input but not output!!. So believe it will not support above mentioned solution.

Yes, it wouldn't support such a connection..

Was able to find few options which have both high level input and output in or slightly above my budget. In increasing cost - Polk Audio PSW10 (19K) , Yamaha NS-SW200 (22.5K) , BIC America V1020 Venturi (26K) , Yamaha Yst-Sw315 (27K) , Yamaha NS-SW300 (30K) , BIC Americs F12 (34K).
Which of the above offering will be most suitable.

Try to choose a brand that is within your budget (or) or where you find a good price/deal..

Also have been mentioned in several posts about FS not properly utilized if subwoofers are also being used. and about 2 Subwoofers giving much better performance than single one.

Yes, dual subwoofers are better for a good low -end in the room..

Considering space constraints, I will be able to place subwoofers only on either side of TV. But with 2 FS L-R speakers will have space only for one subwoofer. So was wondering if instead of FS , should go with small bookshelf speakers with 2 subwoofers. and if these BS can be placed on top subwoofers on each side of TV. That will help bookshelf to be near ear level and also eliminate need for any wall mount or speaker stands. Can/should this be done? Or will result in more bad than good?

There are hardly any other 5.0 BS speaker package that are aval in the price of Taga 506.. Hence the suggestion for a 5.0 speaker package with FS.. There is one 5.0 speaker package.. Taga Harmony inmove series.. You may check its aval..

Usually the tweeters on the speaker would be approx 36 ~ 40 inches from floor, which would be the same height when you are seated in your sofa.. Even if you place the BS on subwoofer, the tweeter wouldn't match that height.. Anyways, try measuring your ear height and mark those height for front L/R speakers and see where they are..

As much as i want to , cannot do it ,at least not in any near future. Only current placement has Power points as well as internal wiring for internet and cable tv. Moving to 14 ft wall will require long power/lan cabling or rewiring power points and internet/cable which will be a major work.

I under stand the limitations.. Your proposed set-up, is just in one corner of the room..

But if you move the set-up to 14 feet wall, you can nicely space dual subwoofers and position surrounds behind you listening position.. Anyways, choose what works best to you in your room..

View attachment 37010

One important point that i missed is since this is common living room, So aesthetics of suggested speakers and being kids friendly will also be important to get final approval from family members :).

1. The S15 + S30 should come to around 35k total, just bargain a bit. The Polk dealer is in Nerul, and I can pass on their contact.
2. The BiC V1220 should be around the 24k mark from a dealer. That's a 12" one. I had one at that price. ProAudioHome are the dealers, contact them. The 10" 1020 should be even cheaper.

There are hardly any other 5.0 BS speaker package that are aval in the price of Taga 506.. Hence the suggestion for a 5.0 speaker package with FS.. There is one 5.0 speaker package.. Taga Harmony inmove series..

Yes. rare 5.0 packages in this range. Availability seems to be issue for Taga inmove series . How are Taga Azure B-40? Will they be bring out better audio quality than Taga 506 FS considering Subwoofer will be added? Add matching Sub and surrounds later may come within range.

Usually the tweeters on the speaker would be approx 36 ~ 40 inches from floor, which would be the same height when you are seated in your sofa.. Even if you place the BS on subwoofer, the tweeter wouldn't match that height.. Anyways, try measuring your ear height and mark those height for front L/R speakers and see where they are..
Ear height will be approx 32-38 inches from floor depending on seating position. Or may even be much lesser when sitting on mattress on floor (with kids this has also became a common place to watch TV).
Subwoofer heights are normally 14-18 inch with 12-14 inch BS heights, taking total twitter height to 26-32 inch approx. No ideal but not too far away either.
Main concern here was is this placement will affect audio quality in negative way , for Front speakers or subwoofer. If so then will not go further down this path.

I under stand the limitations.. Your proposed set-up, is just in one corner of the room..

But if you move the set-up to 14 feet wall, you can nicely space dual subwoofers and position surrounds behind you listening position..
Once have speaker setup complete will check for this placement also. If getting noticeable improvement can plan to make changes.

1. The S15 + S30 should come to around 35k total, just bargain a bit. The Polk dealer is in Nerul, and I can pass on their contact.
S15 was in my plan as it has wall mount option also. But was not sure in S30 would overpower it. Will S20 better option or only Signature series FS speakers are better match S30.
Can you please pass on dealers contact. I am in Pune but can drive to Navi Mumbai if getting a good deal .Not right away but once rain subsidizes a bit.

2. The BiC V1220 should be around the 24k mark from a dealer. That's a 12" one. I had one at that price. ProAudioHome are the dealers, contact them. The 10" 1020 should be even cheaper.
Looks good. Seems dealer prices are better than online. Will add these to my list when updating subwoofer.

Yes. rare 5.0 packages in this range. Availability seems to be issue for Taga inmove series . How are Taga Azure B-40? Will they be bring out better audio quality than Taga 506 FS considering Subwoofer will be added? Add matching Sub and surrounds later may come within range.

Ok. Taga Azure & Platinum series are higher series than TAV, which is a budget offering..

Ear height will be approx 32-38 inches from floor depending on seating position. Or may even be much lesser when sitting on mattress on floor (with kids this has also became a common place to watch TV).
Subwoofer heights are normally 14-18 inch with 12-14 inch BS heights, taking total twitter height to 26-32 inch approx. No ideal but not too far away either.

Ok try it and see..

Main concern here was is this placement will affect audio quality in negative way , for Front speakers or subwoofer. If so then will not go further down this path.

Once have speaker setup complete will check for this placement also. If getting noticeable improvement can plan to make changes.

It is good to have symmetrical walls besides speakers & subwoofer.. Hence the suggestion for 14ft wide wall placement..

S15 was in my plan as it has wall mount option also. But was not sure in S30 would overpower it. Will S20 better option or only Signature series FS speakers are better match S30.

Between the S15 & S20, the bigger BS has the ability to reach lower freq than the smaller one.. Since you will have a subwoofer, the benefit with bigger BS is redundant.. You can settle for S15 for mains as well as surrounds.. S30 will not overpower the fronts.. The auto-calibration system in the AVR will get it adjusted w.r.t speaker levels..

the bigger BS has the ability to reach lower freq than the smaller one.. Since you will have a subwoofer, the benefit with bigger BS is redundant.. You can settle for S15 for mains as well as surrounds.. S30 will not overpower the fronts.. The auto-calibration system in the AVR will get it adjusted w.r.t speaker levels..
Thanks. This cleared several of my concerns.

/
It is good to have symmetrical walls besides speakers & subwoofer.. Hence the suggestion for 14ft wide wall placement..

By placement I meant keeping BS speakers over Subwoofer without considering height reasons. Sorry if my query was not clear.

Since there are so many variables in common home setup which may affect overall performance, was trying to get a system which is more forgiving to non ideal setup.In a properly setup audition room such issues may not be be replicated so trying to do my homework.

By placement I meant keeping BS speakers over Subwoofer without considering height reasons. Sorry if my query was not clear.

Not a problem.. A subwoofer is a vibrating device..When you place the book shelf speaker over a subwoofer, chances are that it too might vibrate when there is a thick action scene..

Since there are so many variables in common home setup which may affect overall performance, was trying to get a system which is more forgiving to non ideal setup.In a properly setup audition room such issues may not be be replicated so trying to do my homework.

I too have less than ideal set-up, considering the opening to various other rooms from my living room.. You can do only so much abt it.. Best is to place at a better location and not worry abt the rest.

Hello Again.
Planning to go for some audition tomorrow.

Have kept following in my list for now to check out. Can you please suggest if I should add any other model to list.

-Taga Harmony 506
-Polk S15 , S30
-Polk T50, T30
-Yamaha NS 8390. NS -P51
-Wharfdale Diamond 220 , 220C Centre channel (not in first list but similarly priced to Polk S15+S30 so thought to check these also)
-Dali Zensor, Spektor, Vokal speakers set (More than planned budget but lot of praise for these so wanted to hear them out)
-Polk S50 (again out of budget but wanted can check if FS gives any recognizable update over S15)

Can you help me out where I can audition Taga Harmony speakers in Pune. Tried searching but not able to find which place keeps and can give audition for Taga Speakers.

One more concern is regarding center channel speakers.
Was going through specs and realized that most of the center channel speakers in my list are quite huge in size.
Polk S30/T30/Wharfdale 220C/Taga Centre etc are approx 15- 20 inch in width. similarly have decent height and depth also.So there may be some issues in placing these.

Are there any other compatible center channel speaker which will match and work fine instead of Polk S15, Wharfdale 220C.

Hello Again.
Planning to go for some audition tomorrow.

Have kept following in my list for now to check out. Can you please suggest if I should add any other model to list.

-Taga Harmony 506
-Polk S15 , S30
-Polk T50, T30
-Yamaha NS 8390. NS -P51
-Wharfdale Diamond 220 , 220C Centre channel (not in first list but similarly priced to Polk S15+S30 so thought to check these also)
-Dali Zensor, Spektor, Vokal speakers set (More than planned budget but lot of praise for these so wanted to hear them out)
-Polk S50 (again out of budget but wanted can check if FS gives any recognizable update over S15)

Can you help me out where I can audition Taga Harmony speakers in Pune. Tried searching but not able to find which place keeps and can give audition for Taga Speakers.
If you are looking at an all in one package, I did rather suggest Taga Harmony TAV-606 SE or V3 series which are 5.0 channel and around 30k instead of 506. Also, have a look at Elac Cinema 5.1.

If you are looking at an all in one package, I did rather suggest Taga Harmony TAV-606 SE or V3 series which are 5.0 channel and around 30k instead of 506. Also, have a look at Elac Cinema 5.1.
Thanks.
I was not exactly looking for all in one package. Already have Onkyo HT 3300 HTiB with me. So was looking to upgrade L-C-R speakers for now, followed by SubWoofer, New AV receiver, TV then surround speakers ( gradually over a year). But not averse to all in one package if it comes in decent price range.
Had considered Taga 606 package, but not sure if these will add much benefit over 506 as have plan to update subwoofer anyway.
Elac Cinema 5 was also seriously considered because of small form factor but Satellite speakers looked quite small with small drivers.Was not sure if these would add much benefit over my current htib speakers. Are these are decent performers compared to other options? is so can consider these also.

Thanks.
I was not exactly looking for all in one package. Already have Onkyo HT 3300 HTiB with me. So was looking to upgrade L-C-R speakers for now, followed by SubWoofer, New AV receiver, TV then surround speakers ( gradually over a year). But not averse to all in one package if it comes in decent price range.
Had considered Taga 606 package, but not sure if these will add much benefit over 506 as have plan to update subwoofer anyway.
Elac Cinema 5 was also seriously considered because of small form factor but Satellite speakers looked quite small with small drivers.Was not sure if these would add much benefit over my current htib speakers. Are these are decent performers compared to other options? is so can consider these also.
If you are looking at only fronts, center and sub, Taga Harmony Platinum series is the way to go. F-100 floor standers and C-90 SL with SW 10 V3 should be good. Or even Yamaha SW300 sub.

Sorry for late update , Was travelling so was not able to update earlier.
Had gone to few stores earlier week to check out and audition the speakers. Unfortunately most of the speakers I shortlisted were not available for audition anywhere.Still tried to check whatever was available. Was able to hear out QAcoustic 3050, Wharfdale diamond 220, Stone Water atom, Accusound.
QAcoustic 3050 - had high expectations from these seeing all reviews but was underwhelmed. But think that was mostly because of improper placement and setup. Also these were quite big and anyway out of budget.
Wharfdale 220- best looking speakers I saw. I think there will look good in any living room. But was able to hear in 2 channel setup only and in open room. Sound was good but low i felt there were better suited for music playback than movies.
Stonewater atom - one of the stores had these speakers. these are tiny sized but would say these sounded best. But again these were properly setup in in small demo room. So I think that could be the factor. once negative was that these have very industrial design so would have very low acceptance factor from family. Also quite costly at 1L+ for 5.1 setup.

Other budget speakers in my list were either not available or not had demo. Could not find Taga Harmony anywhere for demo or purchase. Polk T50/T15/T30 where available but no demo. Dali range was also not setup for demo,. Though was informed that zensor series is phased out and Opticon will replace it. Anyway had asked to give me a call whenever these are setup. Polk Signature series were also not available

One big realization I had that speaker placement and room also plays a big part in sound quality. Getting very high quality speakers may not give intended results with improper placements. So have decided to change my room setup a bit and move TV and home theater to smaller wall of my living room, place speakers in suggested places and see whats difference it makes.It will also help to realize difference when upgrading speakers.Will try out this weekend and see.

So was able to make the changes to my TV and speaker placements.
Moved TV to smaller wall and current LCR speakers to on sides and front of TV at listening height. Rear surrounds were moved beside seating position at around 8ft. All temporary setup now with wires hanging around. This
Was planning to do do some wire management and try to route wires properly, For that got cheap MX brand speaker cables to test out but then thought of waiting for few days in case can get new speakers by then to avoid any rework.
Search for new speakers and trying for audition in Pune is still on. Mostly thinking of going with Taga 506 or Taga 606 V3 sets and add a decent subwoofer. Since audition seems to be very tough to get here trying to read out more reviews and check with fellow members.
Had also considered Taga platinum series but raised tweeter design was not liked by family so had to drop it.

Though did not planned to do analysis on any other speakers to avoid any further confusion but still human nature made me to still check other option and saw following 2 combinations for front LCR in budget. Any idea if these would be better/ not better than above taga options (only front LCR perspective)

Mission LX-2 + Mission LXC
Tannoy Eclipse one + Tannoy eclipse centre

So was able to make the changes to my TV and speaker placements. Moved TV to smaller wall and current LCR speakers to on sides and front of TV at listening height. Rear surrounds were moved beside seating position at around 8ft. All temporary setup now with wires hanging around.

Thats great..

This Was planning to do do some wire management and try to route wires properly, For that got cheap MX brand speaker cables to test out but then thought of waiting for few days in case can get new speakers by then to avoid any rework.

MX is inexpensive good cables.. It may not have the flashy outer jacket/sleeves as some of the expensive cables do, but they are pretty good..

Mostly thinking of going with Taga 506 or Taga 606 V3 sets and add a decent subwoofer. Since audition seems to be very tough to get here trying to read out more reviews and check with fellow members.

Bump the Taga owners thread, you may get some inputs there from owners..

Had also considered Taga platinum series but raised tweeter design was not liked by family so had to drop it.

:( Some higher end speakers from other brands do have raised tweeter design.. But yeah, if you don't like the looks, then fine..

Though did not planned to do analysis on any other speakers to avoid any further confusion but still human nature made me to still check other option and saw following 2 combinations for front LCR in budget. Any idea if these would be better/ not better than above taga options (only front LCR perspective)

Mission LX-2 + Mission LXC
Tannoy Eclipse one + Tannoy eclipse centre

Mission LX should be in your budget, Tannoy i doubt if you can fit in your budget.. If it is, then fine..

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back