Denon 1611 VS Denon 1911

rpradeep

Dear friends,
Iam a newbie in this excellent lively community. I am planning to buy a component HT system and have zeroed on Denon as the av receiver. Usage is 50% music and 50% movies.Can you please let me know whether 1911 is better than 1611 in terms o sound quality? I dnt mind about the features and all. Iam just obsessed with the sound quality. Also what is the average price for which one can buy these? Hope 1911 mrp is 45.9k. Iam budget consious and hope to finish the total witin 60K. Not sure about the mrp of 1611. Iam based in chennai. Also what speaker packages fit like a glove with these two AVRs? Then i can go ahead for auditioning them. Experts pls help me......

Regards,
R.Pradeep

join the bandwagon. Am tryign to get a 1911 from US. And pair them up with speakers from India. Usage same as yours, music and movies 50-50

Dear friends,
Iam a newbie in this excellent lively community. I am planning to buy a component HT system and have zeroed on Denon as the av receiver. Usage is 50% music and 50% movies.Can you please let me know whether 1911 is better than 1611 in terms o sound quality? I dnt mind about the features and all. Iam just obsessed with the sound quality. Also what is the average price for which one can buy these? Hope 1911 mrp is 45.9k. Iam budget consious and hope to finish the total witin 60K. Not sure about the mrp of 1611. Iam based in chennai. Also what speaker packages fit like a glove with these two AVRs? Then i can go ahead for auditioning them. Experts pls help me......

Regards,
R.Pradeep

Check these two threads - The first part has details of the features and reasons for you to upgrade to the next series of AVR

1611 Owners thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1252688

1911 Owners thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1252471

From what I understand, there is NO difference w.r.t sound quality when you compare 1611 and 1911 - You need to go for 1911 if you need more features : 7.1 (versus 5.1 in 1611), USB port, multi-zone, video upscaling. I own a 1611 and happy with the sound quality..

Sridhar,

Thanks a lot for your clarification. What can be the best speaker package to be powered by 1611 within a budget of 30k for 50:50 music:movies?
Also can 1611 be used to power all sorts of speakers(floorstanders, bookshelf, satellite) effectively?
Regards,
R.Pradeep

Last edited:
i think you should 1st select your speakers and then select your receiver based on speaker specks. denon 1611 has 75w of power @ 8ohms so basically if you have already zeroed on denon 1611 you should look for some book shelf speakers within that power range, i think polk rm6750 is a good combination with 1611 at your price, also look for paradigm ct series

Subhadeep,

Thanks for your reply. Well i am thinking of adding a canton speaker package (canton movie 150qx). Is it good enough? What are all the other good combinations for 1611. Any other speaker packages considere good fo both movies as well as music at the proce point of ~35K?

PS: any idea ht setups price reduce by timeline, so that i we can plan accordingly and buy the optimal one...

Regards,
R.Pradeep

Subhadeep,

Thanks for your reply. Well i am thinking of adding a canton speaker package (canton movie 150qx). Is it good enough? What are all the other good combinations for 1611. Any other speaker packages considere good fo both movies as well as music at the proce point of ~35K?

PS: any idea ht setups price reduce by timeline, so that i we can plan accordingly and buy the optimal one...

Regards,
R.Pradeep

Sridhar,

Thanks a lot for your clarification. What can be the best speaker package to be powered by 1611 within a budget of 30k for 50:50 music:movies?
Also can 1611 be used to power all sorts of speakers(floorstanders, bookshelf, satellite) effectively?
Regards,
R.Pradeep

If you are looking at a 30K budget, then the best I have heard is the Energy Take Classic 5.1. They are satellite speakers but very powerful I guess the 1611 will go with them quite well. I had auditioned them at Reliance Digital(cunningham road) in Bangalore

If you are looking at a 30K budget, then the best I have heard is the Energy Take Classic 5.1. They are satellite speakers but very powerful I guess the 1611 will go with them quite well. I had auditioned them at Reliance Digital(cunningham road) in Bangalore

Everyone seems to be recommending Energy Take Classic 5.1....but in the end everyone says that they have been discontinued in India :(! Talk about shattered dreams :lol:

Have you guyz ever come across the issue reported in this review on 1611?

"The only bad news to report is a slight edge to the sound when the volume is turned up high. The powerful screech of the Elemental sounds ever so slightly harsh, and a few other transients sound a little ripe."

Denon AVR-1611 review - Performance and Verdict - Home Cinema reviews - TrustedReviews

I would second that, though not much noticeable to some one with less than very good ears or used to good equipment. I could notice it as I am used to my AD700. It is more noticeable in satellites because of their smaller drivers.. and I noted it only after I listened to the same track (bursting of steam pipes and water hissing out when the sub is depth charged in U571) with both.

So if this issue is not present in 1911, then we can assume they may have better electronics in 1911, right? One thing I have noticed in my HT experience is even if it's a slight belimish that we find it with the sound the thought of it always remains in our mind and I guess we tend to look into other systems which have done it better.

I havent directly compared the 1611 against any higher avr like 1911, so I dont know if that is absent in the latter.

But I dont think the issue is going to be noticeable unless you are looking for it as I was, and you should not base your purchase based on that..rather on which features in 1911 you are looking to use and which speakers you are going to pair them with. Like for satellites 1911 I feel wont make much of a difference. But if you are using speakers which need higher power then 1611 may fall short.

An ad700 paired with a xonar stx will always sound better than 1611 with satellites.

One thing you can personally do to test is ask the sales person to pair both the 1611 and 1911 to pair with a high quality pair of speakers which will pull out maximum resolving ability of the receiver, and use some high quality recording as the source(Avatar blu ray will be a good choice, ask them to passthrough the audio as that will test the dts hd ma decoder as well). Your ears will be the best judge.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back