Denon 1713 + Cambridge Audio setup

MoorthyA

Hi guys, need your help again Yesterday I went to listen Klipsch speakers and found Denon 1713 for 580 SGD (25k INR) and immediately brought that for my new HT setup (In my home town I have Pioneer HT).

Also got offer for Cambridge Audio around 20k (I only need to buy rear speaker separately, I will go with Cambridge Audio small mini 10 rear speakers for that) (note Denon 1713 is 80w/c @ 8ohms - 120w/c @ 6ohms)

1) New Cambridge Audio S30 Bookshelf Speakers x 1 pair [100w , 4-8 Ohms]
2) New Cambridge Audio S50 Centre Speaker x 1 unit [80w , 4-8 Ohms]
3) New Cambridge Audio S90 Subwoofer x 1 unit [75w]

Now the Question.

1. Will the Speakers do justice for my new AVR? Or will I be at risk of damaging the speakers in near future

2. What does 4-8 ohms means, any idea what would be the nominal ohms for above Cambridge Audio please

4. Front speaker to hearing place about 18feet, will S30 is good enough

I felt this combination is much much better than 5.1 HT package (boston xs 5.1 , WD 5.1 etc) anything out there for 25k 30k.

Last edited:
There is no risk of damaging the speakers. Denon AVRs support 6 ohms and above speakers and you can safely enjoy the cambridge speakers.

CA S30 are warm sounding speakers & treble can sound soft with Denon. Auddissy can make some difference,still need to check.CA S50 is not talked more in online forums & unless you get demo,it is risk to get correct synergy.

1. Will the Speakers do justice for my new AVR? Or will I be at risk of damaging the speakers in near future

The speakers and the receiver do match in terms of specs. Don't have to worry about it.

2. What does 4-8 ohms means, any idea what would be the nominal ohms for above Cambridge Audio please

Means they can be connected with amps/receivers which would supply power at that rate. I had connected my S30s (now sold) with Yamaha RX-V667 at 6 ohms and it was very good.

What's the room size? You might have to crank up your AVR a little bit, if it is more than 200 sq ft.

I felt this combination is much much better than 5.1 HT package (boston xs 5.1 , WD 5.1 etc) anything out there for 25k 30k.

Absolutely. While the satellite systems you mentioned are quite good on their own, a bookshelf based system will always be better.

All things said, take a demo and decide.

Hi all, thanks for all your comments...

@spirovious, today i auditioned the S30 and liked it very much and there was more clarity than Dali ZENSOR 1 to my hear... but could not hear S50 :(

@Calvin, thanks for the many points... my room size if 9x22 feet. any comments on this based on my speaker selection? appreciate..

Note: sofa and TV are in two extreme sides, and probably my listening distance would be around 18feet from center speaker

Also any suggestion on Cambridge S90 Sub Woofer please....

@Calvin, thanks for the many points... my room size if 9x22 feet. any comments on this based on my speaker selection? appreciate..

Note: sofa and TV are in two extreme sides, and probably my listening distance would be around 18feet from center speaker

Also any suggestion on Cambridge S90 Sub Woofer please....

As I said, you might have to crank up the volume for the listening distance, but it shouldn't be a problem at all. For the budget S30 is tough to beat. If you are willing to spend a little more (60 K at least), you would get a bigger sounding system.

S90 is just a 8" subwoofer, so it will be just enough. At the risk of sounding repetitive, I would suggest to get a demo of the whole system and decide.

Yup sure I will take demo of S30 again with denon (the shop used Marantz to demo S30 before). But still

Cant we do equalization in Denon 1713? ( lets say if I use studio monitor speakers, which is very flat in response and no colour at all)

Any recommended brand or model (for 30k INR) which will go well with Denon AVR? (pls consider my room size 9x22, listening distance 18feet from center speaker)

S30 sounds less bright :indifferent14: , Is it cus of the denon AVR characteristic or speakers characteristic? How about Klipsch RB-61 II with denon.

Appreciate expertise advice

Other thought:
Just buy Klipsch RB-61 or 81 II pair for 32k INR (for Denon 1713) and settle with 2.0 setup. Latter can add speakers one by one when budget allows

See if you can audition Definitive technology procinema 800 or Paradigm Cinema 100 series.

Can anyone suggest the right speaker which matches Denonss Warm characters (Note: I tried with Cambridge S30 and did not like at all (not even 30 %) as there is no high at all, cus the issues is both Denon and Cambridge are warm sounding AVR/Speaker :sad: )

Looking for Bookshelf speakers

Polk RTI series (mostly RTI 3) with center ? 24k
Boston A series (A25 or A26) with center ? 15k and 20k
Q acoustic
Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 - 20k
Dali - Zensor 1 - 18k
Usher S520 (in Singapore its 400Dollar = 17.5k (India selling at 35k))

Can anyone comment on this combination as I cannot audition (with Denon AVR) here in Singapore :rolleyes:

Hi guys, need your help again Yesterday I went to listen Klipsch speakers and found Denon 1713 for 580 SGD (25k INR) and immediately brought that for my new HT setup (In my home town I have Pioneer HT).

Also got offer for Cambridge Audio around 20k (I only need to buy rear speaker separately, I will go with Cambridge Audio small mini 10 rear speakers for that) (note Denon 1713 is 80w/c @ 8ohms - 120w/c @ 6ohms)

1) New Cambridge Audio S30 Bookshelf Speakers x 1 pair [100w , 4-8 Ohms]
2) New Cambridge Audio S50 Centre Speaker x 1 unit [80w , 4-8 Ohms]
3) New Cambridge Audio S90 Subwoofer x 1 unit [75w]

Now the Question.

Hi, bother to tell me where you got the avr1713 in Singapore?
Cheers,

I too have Denon 1713 andi am also in a search of bookshelf and center speaker to complete my setup, however as per FX entertainment CA S30 is not available in Delhi till July new stock arrive.
reviews are good for S30 but i have never get a chance to audition them, now i am looking forward to other options like polk audio RTI 100 2 pairs for front and surround and CS10 for center, my question is would it be a good combination with Denon 1713??

HI FI guru's comments will be much appreciated on this.
thanks,Viren

@i inc - I purchased Denon 1713 from Alpha Audio from Adelphi #01-16, 1 Coleman Street, Singapore.

I finally ended up with Denon 1713 + Focal Sib & Cub 3 (36k from profx)

Focal-Sib-Cub-5-1-Noir_P_600.jpg

focal_sib_cub_3_3_2.jpg

I have personally used CA 30, CA S50 and CA S90 with denon for 4 weeks (and sold it now here in Singapore). My review is that CA doesnot go well with denon, for a simple reason both (AVR and Speakers) are warm sounding system. I also compared CA with my lovely/sweet AudioEngine A5+, to me A5+ sounded much better than CA with Denon.

ae5_withcomputer.jpg
audioengine20rear-289275.jpg

thanks to all other forum members who has rightly pointed out and i can also confirm that highs are missing with CA with denon combination

Back