Denon 1910 - Amazing Value!!!!

micjak77

Hello People,
I have been mulling over the idea of upgrading my AV receiver for some time and I own a Yammy RXV-450 which has been doing its duty for almost 5 years now. Of all the brands that have come up with new AVRs one that really stands out is Denon 1910. The recent WHF gives it a 5 star rating. But some of the stand features are.
  • Anchor Bay VRS chip for 1080p upscaling (they have dumped Faroujda chip). This is so awesome.
  • HD audio decoding
  • Audyssey dynamic EQ along with Dynamic Volume
  • Independent crossover levels for each speaker
  • 4 HDMI ins
Apparently been described by many as a knock out for both movies and music. Though I love my Yammy and its DSP modes, I know that Denon makes superior products and is a reverential brand. I have to admit I am blown by what is on offer. Some cons I have come across are mainly about the remote controller, buzz is that they suck like major.

Amongst other brands that are there, Onkyos have always been a big no for me. No offense to anyone but its just what a brand communicates, its personality and character, just doesnt go with me. Its personal and subjective. Pioneer is little vague.

I found out from the Hyd retailer, its going price is 40K. Sounds like a great deal. I might bite this one. Can someone confirm the prices from other cities, shouldnt vary much since all are ProFX.

Look forward to your thoughts on how 1910 fares vis a vis the Yammy 665s and Onkyo 607s.

Please pour in, it will help me decide.

Profx site has mentioned the price as 45k, so does that mean that they are willing to negotiate to 40k for this AVR?
BTW, any reviews on Denon 1610? Priced at 30k almost.

let me confuse you a bit.. before going in for the Denon 1910.. do take a look ( hear ) at the Marantz 5003, Marantz 6003 and the Harman Kardon AVR 255.

Denon is not the only revered brand out there

mpw

let me confuse you a bit.. before going in for the Denon 1910.. do take a look ( hear ) at the Marantz 5003, Marantz 6003 and the Harman Kardon AVR 255.

Denon is not the only revered brand out there

mpw

Marantz makes musical amps, I am looking at great movie soundtrack reproduction. HK has really never been in the race if I may say so, but will check out this particular model out of curiosity

HK was always in the race for movies. The issue with HK is that their signature sound is typically strong and upfront. They have no delicacy. This suits rock, some jazz and typical American numbers. Will not suit classical (Indian or Western) or vocals. So many Brit magazines trash them (and India as usual follows suit).

If you're looking for a good movie receiver, you should audition them. They give out a powerful effect for all movie soundtracks and steer effects well. They also have all the decoding bells and whistles on their budget sets. Pair them to a compatible set of speakers though. Something along the Harman line (JBL) or Infinity should be a good match.

HK was always in the race for movies. The issue with HK is that their signature sound is typically strong and upfront. They have no delicacy. This suits rock, some jazz and typical American numbers. Will not suit classical (Indian or Western) or vocals. So many Brit magazines trash them (and India as usual follows suit).

If you're looking for a good movie receiver, you should audition them. They give out a powerful effect for all movie soundtracks and steer effects well. They also have all the decoding bells and whistles on their budget sets. Pair them to a compatible set of speakers though. Something along the Harman line (JBL) or Infinity should be a good match.

Not able to find one positve review of HK AVR 255, mostly -ve, besides 50 watts per channel sounds like HTIB. Frankly most of us would never consider it with that sort of a power rating

HK are high current, high bandwidth amplifiers. Their 50w rating is conservative and can drive many low-sensitivity speaker loads. AVSForums generally has balanced user reviews. One is here:
Harman Kardon Avr 255 Out Now!!!!! - AVForums.com
Of course, like I mentioned before, whathifi has trashed it...as it has consistently trashed all HK models in the past.

Also, 50w is not called being in the HtiB range. This is all channels driven over the complete 20Hz-20Khz range. HtiBs normally specify one channel or at a particular frequency. The amount of power needed to achieve decent volume levels is a function of speaker sensitivity, room damping among other factors. As an example, there was a lyrita amp reviewed on this forum which had room filling sound at a few watts of power. That was much below the Htib range ... and cost much more than it :eek:

I suggest you go and audition the amp in person in a good showroom. If you still don't find it to your taste, that's fine since you have other options to choose from. All I'm saying is don't let specs and magazine reviews be the sole guide for your choice. Your tastes, liking and ears are the best guide.

-Ajinkya.

Hey Ajinkya, that post was very informative. Thanks for the explanation. I will see if I can get to demo this in the JBL showroom here.

Hey, pardon my ignorance, is this different from DTS HD Master Audio. I was thinking DTS HD MA should take care of this.

I saw 3 HD format info on Denon web,need clarification whether all HD-Dts formats are decoded or no.(2 from DD & 2 from Dts)

Rs29900 at Profx, Atria Mall.

you should be able to get discounts on the above.

I am seriously thinking of going for the 1610 AVR. Looks impressive by the specs.

Denon USA | AVR-1610

It has upconversion but limited to Analog to HDMI 480i to 480p only. Will this improve PQ if I connect STB through AVR ?

Tried searching review feedback for 1610 but couldn't find any. Would appreciate if experts can go through above link and suggest pros & cons.

Thanks and apologies if I am hijacking 1910 thread here !

Last edited:
I am seriously thinking of going for the 1610 AVR. Looks impressive by the specs.

Denon USA | AVR-1610

It has upconversion but limited to Analog to HDMI 480i to 480p only. Will this improve PQ if I connect STB through AVR ?

Tried searching review feedback for 1610 but couldn't find any. Would appreciate if experts can go through above link and suggest pros & cons.

Thanks and apologies if I am hijacking 1910 thread here !

It doesnt have 7.1ch ana in.

Powerwise it looks little weak.It has 460w PS ,so with 5.1 ,it will pump 90w & 7.1mode lesser than that.
Generally all ch are not active,so no prob.

Any other negatives besides the power (the lack of it), 5.1 and the upscale only to 480p for the Denon 1610?

What is the best price that I can get for this - 29.9k is what Profx quoted?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back