Denon 3700 vs 4700

k_vijay12

Hi folks,

I m planning to upgrade my HT setup from yamaha rx471 + Polk TL1600 speakers and had been researching on my next audio gear. I m on 2 minds which AVR to choose. Either denon 3700/ marantz 6015 or denon 4700/marantz 7015.

Both Denon 4700/marantz7015 have same amplifier with THD of 0.05% ( compared to 0.08% in lower models 3700/6015)

The price difference between 3700 and 4700 is roughly 50k. My question is what additional benefit do I get in 4700 by paying 50k more than 3700. I understand the sw n calibration settings r better in 4700/7015. But is it significant material difference in sound reproduction. Is adding an external amp to drive fronts using 3700 is better option than 4700?

My HT room is 13.25 x 17.75 ft. Also, exploring if I shd get new towers or use my kef q300 for fronts. I m planning to start with upgrading my AVR, get a kef q650c center channel and add 2 Atmos cieling speakers. Use my polk TL as satellite speakers as surrounds n rear for now and buy proper surround speakers later which give better experience.

I m undecided if I shd use my kef q300 as surrounds n get towers fr front. But doing so will keep increasing my budget. Also if I use external amp... Driving front towers wd b super good.

Please share your thoughts on my dilemma denon 3700 vs 4700 (or marantz 6015 vs 7015). Front Bookshelves vs towers.

Hi folks,

I m planning to upgrade my HT setup from yamaha rx471 + Polk TL1600 speakers and had been researching on my next audio gear. I m on 2 minds which AVR to choose. Either denon 3700/ marantz 6015 or denon 4700/marantz 7015.

Both Denon 4700/marantz7015 have same amplifier with THD of 0.05% ( compared to 0.08% in lower models 3700/6015)

The price difference between 3700 and 4700 is roughly 50k. My question is what additional benefit do I get in 4700 by paying 50k more than 3700. I understand the sw n calibration settings r better in 4700/7015. But is it significant material difference in sound reproduction. Is adding an external amp to drive fronts using 3700 is better option than 4700?

My HT room is 13.25 x 17.75 ft. Also, exploring if I shd get new towers or use my kef q300 for fronts. I m planning to start with upgrading my AVR, get a kef q650c center channel and add 2 Atmos cieling speakers. Use my polk TL as satellite speakers as surrounds n rear for now and buy proper surround speakers later which give better experience.

I m undecided if I shd use my kef q300 as surrounds n get towers fr front. But doing so will keep increasing my budget. Also if I use external amp... Driving front towers wd b super good.

Please share your thoughts on my dilemma denon 3700 vs 4700 (or marantz 6015 vs 7015). Front Bookshelves vs towers.
If no budget constraints go for the 4700 or the 7015. The processing should be slightly better in the 4700 compared to the 3700 and same applies for 7015 over the 6015.The processing in 4xxx series is similar or same to the higher 6xxx series in Denon. Also go for towers if you have space and budget. If you decide to go for PA use it for LCR so the front stage is even. Using PA only for LR may make the center weak.

If no budget constraints go for the 4700 or the 7015. The processing should be slightly better in the 4700 compared to the 3700 and same applies for 7015 over the 6015.The processing in 4xxx series is similar or same to the higher 6xxx series in Denon. Also go for towers if you have space and budget. If you decide to go for PA use it for LCR so the front stage is even. Using PA only for LR may make the center weak.
Thanks for the reply. My question - is the processing worth the additional 50k cost. I honestly haven't been up to date with latest tech. I don't kno of any 3 channel PA in range of 100-150w @ 8 ohm impedance. Ideally want to minimize overall costs. I will be taking incremental additions. So I need to have a blueprint of plan. I will buy Avr now.. next xxx then yyy... As of now everything is fluid. I will not buy a PA if I opt for 4700 as it's expensive and we at home don't have time to spend every day to enjoy this. So for the weekly 5-10 hr .. want a good experience.

These r the room pics

Attachments

• IMG-20170930-WA0034.jpg
    IMG-20170930-WA0034.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-20201030-WA0032.jpg
    IMG-20201030-WA0032.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-20170930-WA0032.jpg
    IMG-20170930-WA0032.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 43
Hi folks,

At a difference of 50k there would be not much of an added benefit of an equivalent value , but you will have more peace of mind. I personally prefer towers over bookshelfs for music , but you can do equally good with a bookshelf coupled with a very good subwoofer. I see no mention of a subwoofer, the TL1600 package sub is not very good and you would need to upgrade that for sure for a wholesome movie experience.

I was in a similar boat sometime back and i chose the following route
i) AVR - I was thinking between 3600h and 4500h, went for the 4500h for peace of mind, but difference in my case was about 25k.

ii) Fronts - I had to go for towers since bookshelfs on stand were a no go since I have kids coming around and even we have chances of knocking it over as it comes in the normal path of walking/cleansing the floor. I did not want to spend big on bookshelfs only for one of us to drop it accidentally to the ground. So I went for towers and so far I am liking it overall. Since you have not mentioned any budget dont have any suggestions but you can look at my thread to get idea about demo showrooms and also a brief about ones i have auditioned.

iii) Surrounds - Would suggest to keep the Q300 as surrounds eventually. While satellites also give a decent performance, I have tried alternating between satellites and bookshelf , the bookshelf was much better and difference was noticeable.

iv) Subwoofer - Depending on your budget you will need to get a good subwoofer to complement the above setup. At a minimum I would suggest the BIC PL-200 ii/Polk HTS-12 , ideal would be something like a SVS PB2000 Pro/XTZ 12.17/12.17 Edge/Rhytmik LVX12 . You can keep an eye on used deals , get PB2000 or something similar at a nice price

v) Power Amp - Personally I would recommend to go for the 3700h and get a power amp. I recently got a 2-ch Saptak Monoblock PA from Indiq, they make custom 3-CH PA and as well. They are from Bangalore and you can audition their PA at their center. The 4-CH dishes out about 150WPC & 8 Ohms . They offer a 15-day return window as well if you are not satisifed, with no restocking fee.

Thanks for the reply. My question - is the processing worth the additional 50k cost. I honestly haven't been up to date with latest tech. I don't kno of any 3 channel PA in range of 100-150w @ 8 ohm impedance. Ideally want to minimize overall costs. I will be taking incremental additions. So I need to have a blueprint of plan. I will buy Avr now.. next xxx then yyy... As of now everything is fluid. I will not buy a PA if I opt for 4700 as it's expensive and we at home don't have time to spend every day to enjoy this. So for the weekly 5-10 hr .. want a good experience.
That is purely up to you to decide. In audio and video for marginal improvements we have to spend a lot. If you want to minimise your budget go ahead with the 3700 as it’s a good avr.

If u r planning for 7.1.2 then the ceiling speakers should be above your listening position to have better Top middle configuration.
Yes, initial plan 7.1.2. In future 7.2.4. Planning for angular drivers. Sound would be directed towards seating area ( orange coloured).

Last edited:
At a difference of 50k there would be not much of an added benefit of an equivalent value , but you will have more peace of mind. I personally prefer towers over bookshelfs for music , but you can do equally good with a bookshelf coupled with a very good subwoofer. I see no mention of a subwoofer, the TL1600 package sub is not very good and you would need to upgrade that for sure for a wholesome movie experience.

I was in a similar boat sometime back and i chose the following route
i) AVR - I was thinking between 3600h and 4500h, went for the 4500h for peace of mind, but difference in my case was about 25k.

ii) Fronts - I had to go for towers since bookshelfs on stand were a no go since I have kids coming around and even we have chances of knocking it over as it comes in the normal path of walking/cleansing the floor. I did not want to spend big on bookshelfs only for one of us to drop it accidentally to the ground. So I went for towers and so far I am liking it overall. Since you have not mentioned any budget dont have any suggestions but you can look at my thread to get idea about demo showrooms and also a brief about ones i have auditioned.

iii) Surrounds - Would suggest to keep the Q300 as surrounds eventually. While satellites also give a decent performance, I have tried alternating between satellites and bookshelf , the bookshelf was much better and difference was noticeable.

iv) Subwoofer - Depending on your budget you will need to get a good subwoofer to complement the above setup. At a minimum I would suggest the BIC PL-200 ii/Polk HTS-12 , ideal would be something like a SVS PB2000 Pro/XTZ 12.17/12.17 Edge/Rhytmik LVX12 . You can keep an eye on used deals , get PB2000 or something similar at a nice price

v) Power Amp - Personally I would recommend to go for the 3700h and get a power amp. I recently got a 2-ch Saptak Monoblock PA from Indiq, they make custom 3-CH PA and as well. They are from Bangalore and you can audition their PA at their center. The 4-CH dishes out about 150WPC & 8 Ohms . They offer a 15-day return window as well if you are not satisifed, with no restocking fee.
Your setup looks interesting. May I ask for how much you bought your 4500? And from which dealer? I m mostly in to movies and classic rock , instrumental, classical music. Dad listens to a lot of old songs. Currently I use my kef bookshelves with a B&O amp in living room. Got a 17 month old toddler. So haven't been playing much . I m using my bose headphones to avoid disturbance to kid n others.

I have a polk PSW 125 subwoofer. It's amp board got an issue while shifting to new home. I have to replace the amplifier board. One thing I m thinking, if I can replace this with other brand amp board, not sure if sound quality improves?. Or buy a new sub altogether. Svs pb 2000 pro is on mind. But not until my kid grows up a bit. My wife (a doctor) is against excessive sound exposure to toddler.

My plan...
1. Get an AVR
2. Add center n cieling atmos
3. Add sub / FS
4. Add surrounds
5. explore PA if output not satisfactory

Please share your experience with my plan. Thanks

Last edited:
Your setup looks interesting. May I ask for how much you bought your 4500? And from which dealer? I m mostly in to movies and classic rock , instrumental, classical music. Dad listens to a lot of old songs. Currently I use my kef bookshelves with a B&O amp in living room. Got a 17 month old toddler. So haven't been playing much . I m using my bose headphones to avoid disturbance to kid n others.

I have a polk PSW 125 subwoofer. It's amp board got an issue while shifting to new home. I have to replace the amplifier board. One thing I m thinking, if I can replace this with other brand amp board, not sure if sound quality improves?. Or buy a new sub altogether. Svs pb 2000 pro is on mind. But not until my kid grows up a bit. My wife (a doctor) is against excessive sound exposure to toddler.

My plan...
1. Get an AVR
2. Add center n cieling atmos
3. Add sub / FS
4. Add surrounds
5. explore PA if output not satisfactory

Please share your experience with my plan. Thanks

Most of my purchases are from The Home Cinema, Ecity. Have pm'ed you the price i got the X4500H for. Your upgrade path looks very good to me, the KEF Q300 should be more than good for fronts till you plan to upgrade further. With a toddler in the house I feel FS is more crash proof and is the biggest advantage over anything else.

I think the driver size is equally important as the amp in a sub , but i would let experts comment further on that as I dont know much on the same. The PB 2000 Pro is a good sub , you can go for it once you decide to purchase one.

I listen to music more often than I watch movies, parents watch only movies on the setup. Everyone here has reported much better dynamics with a PA for movies as well, I can confirm that the music experience has substantially changed for better after adding a PA with AVR and even more so after forming a dedicated stereo path bypassing the AVR with a pre-amp in the mix. If you buy a high sensitivity speaker you can effective postpone your PA purchase till you feel the need for one.

Hi folks,

I dont think proce diff of 50k is justified. Instead, spend that money on a good PA and it will make night day diff in sound quality. Someone was selling a marantz 7055 in classified section.

I was in same dilemma last year. I am very happy to have 3600H + PA. Go for 4700 if you have the budget and want peace of mind, else 3700 is also quite good. Buying 3700 and then adding a PA later, will help you distribute your budget.

If i were in you, I would have saved 50K for better speakers / PA.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back