Denon AVR 1312 - Speakers (paradigm vs Polk vs Jamo)

value for money combo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

palitrana

Hi All,

I have been a regular lurker in this forum for long. And now its time that i took the plunge armed with all the info the gurus in this forum has.

So i am looking for an AVR - 5.1 with woofers setup (non negotiable since room is not designed for FS/BS). and the budget has to be within 50k (non negotiable especially since this is a birthday gift from my wife i am trying to negotiate :D)

My room size is 16' X 12' and viewing distance is around 11'.

In the given budget, the choices that i see are -
Receiver -
Denon AVR 1312
Yamaha AVR HTR 3064

Speakers -
Polk Rm 705 - Sensitivity 89DB impedance 8 ohm (price with 1312 combo - 48k) - demo result as per me - crisp sound, good surround
Paradigm Cinema 70 - sensitivity 103 mV impedance 10 ohm (price with 1312 combo - 43k) demo result - nice overall good bass good fro music not clear lows and highs
Jamo A102 - Sensitivity 86 db impedance 6 ohm (price with 1312 combo - 54k) demo result, better highs and lows... poorer than other bass

Yamaha avr model and thus all its combos is 4k cheaper.

Now the question is based on the above models/my feedback/expert opinion, what is the most value for money for 30% music, 40% tv 30% movies.

I have demo-ed at Pro fx/beats 99/reliance digital vashi. Called up these but they did not have anything else in budget - fivepointone(nerul), Boomarang(juhu/borivali).

So guys, please give your opinions and do suggest something else at some place else if you feel within the budget

thanks
rana

Last edited:
you post at 1241 in the morn and expect guris to respond.. guris need some sleep too you know :))

why dont u try a soundbar with a subwoofer ?

mpw

you post at 1241 in the morn and expect guris to respond.. guris need some sleep too you know :))

why dont u try a soundbar with a subwoofer ?

mpw

good morning then :)

I wanted to go with a AVR-satellite set-up given two points -
1. the way my room set-up is already done
2. i tried the soundbar options of sony/polk but the satellite setup is something different.

if i were to choose among the above options, what would you recommend

if you can spare some time.. visit the JBL showroom at Phoenix Mills. You may end up liking the HK sound as well.

rgds,
mpw

visit ::: JBL ::: and look up the BDS300. The price falls in your budget. They will offer 10% discount too. The BDS5 is a Blu ray player + DVDP + CDP + FM tuner.. all in one.

This should meet what you are looking for. My neighbor has one and he is quite happy with it.

Or if you want to stretch .. then the cinestyle 30 ( the HK AVR 265 is very powerful and can put a few well discussed brands on this forum to shame )

You need to visit and decide if you like the sound.

mpw

Soundbars work great for people who do not want the hassle of too many speakers or cables. They are good but can't replace a real 5.1 surround setup. If you can then by all means please go for a 5.1 set up.

I find the sound of HK a bit on the brighter side, its a personal choice. Audio is very subjective and differs from person to person.

Denon 1312 and 1612 have the same power rating............1612 also has Audyssey setup which is an auto calibration feature for the speakers. I find it extremely useful and really enhances the overall sound of the system. Suggest to go with 1612 and a good 5.1 satellite speaker system from Wharfedale, Polk Audio, Paradigm, Boston Acoustics, etc......

Soundbars work great for people who do not want the hassle of too many speakers or cables. They are good but can't replace a real 5.1 surround setup. If you can then by all means please go for a 5.1 set up.

I find the sound of HK a bit on the brighter side, its a personal choice. Audio is very subjective and differs from person to person.

Denon 1312 and 1612 have the same power rating............1612 also has Audyssey setup which is an auto calibration feature for the speakers. I find it extremely useful and really enhances the overall sound of the system. Suggest to go with 1612 and a good 5.1 satellite speaker system from Wharfedale, Polk Audio, Paradigm, Boston Acoustics, etc......

Thanks boss. do you think the Paradigm c70 speakers would be a good buy, didnt really find a lot of reviews for it. i found their sound the best value for money (a really important parameter here). The best sounding ones are the Polk RM705s, but there are mixed opinions about it and it is a bit more costly also. i am personally leaning towards the paradigm ones.

Hi All,

I have been a regular lurker in this forum for long. And now its time that i took the plunge armed with all the info the gurus in this forum has.

So i am looking for an AVR - 5.1 with woofers setup (non negotiable since room is not designed for FS/BS). and the budget has to be within 50k (non negotiable especially since this is a birthday gift from my wife i am trying to negotiate :D)

My room size is 16' X 12' and viewing distance is around 11'.

You have a fairly large room 16 feet length by 12 feet breadth. could you please tell us why the room is not designed for BS ? Juz to understand & suggest you some alternatives

You have a fairly large room 16 feet length by 12 feet breadth. could you please tell us why the room is not designed for BS ? Juz to understand & suggest you some alternatives

HI

one wall completely engulfed with furniture and a door to passageway.... plus already made wiring at the time of interior design for satellite speakers.... and then one side of the room is used for dining space so have to cut that out too...

Also, when you say alternatives, just wanted to understand whether these options are not good?

thanks

Last edited:
HI

one wall completely engulfed with furniture and a door to passageway.... plus already made wiring at the time of interior design for satellite speakers.... and then one side of the room is used for dining space so have to cut that out too...

Also, when you say alternatives, just wanted to understand whether these options are not good?

thanks

No no. Perfectly fine. Juz thinking whether you can wall mount the BS speaker in place of satellite. Will that solve your problem ?

With BS speakers you will get better sound than the satellite speakers. Hence the question.

No no. Perfectly fine. Juz thinking whether you can wall mount the BS speaker in place of satellite. Will that solve your problem ?

With BS speakers you will get better sound than the satellite speakers. Hence the question.

I am getting this feeling more and more that i need to do something different here. may be the satellites are not the best options. while i was thinking these would suffice, having talked to a couple of people gives me the idea that this may not be the best use of money.

Besides, the Paradigm Cinema 70 seems to be a model discontinued for quite some time now, no wonder i was getting it cheap.

so now the question - what about BS speakers - how much do they cost and how different is the sound of these setups compared to the 5.1 set-up

avr 1312 5.1,75 wats per chenal 22600
avr 1612 5.1,USB, onscreen DISPLY and AUDSSY setp 27500
@ivoryedge

THanks derick.... this is possibly the lowest prices i have seen.... but the issue is that i would want somebody to set the system up since i really have no clue about a system set-up. hence buying components separately may be a bit of a challenge... though the price advantage is surely there!

but the issue is that i would want somebody to set the system up since i really have no clue about a system set-up.

If you purchase from profx, they'll send the installation guy to your home to setup everything properly (installation, connection & calibration). not sure about other av stores whether they provide installation service or not.

I am getting this feeling more and more that i need to do something different here. may be the satellites are not the best options. while i was thinking these would suffice, having talked to a couple of people gives me the idea that this may not be the best use of money.

Besides, the Paradigm Cinema 70 seems to be a model discontinued for quite some time now, no wonder i was getting it cheap.

so now the question - what about BS speakers - how much do they cost and how different is the sound of these setups compared to the 5.1 set-up

Of the budget you have mentioned getting a new AVR + 5.1 Speakers will be tough as the new AVR will eat more than 50% of the budget.

My suggestion is since you are on a tight budget, try to find an used amplifier for 10 - 15K from this forum. I took the used amplifier route and got the Marantz receiver. When i bought it was 5 yrs old. It has served me 1.5 yrs after that flawlessly.

So set 35 - 40 K for a decent 5.1 Speaker package.

Your first priority would be looking for BS speakers that can be mounted on wall. Look for front ported speakers as they can be mounted on wall without blocking the port. Look for speakers with higher sensitivity. Higher the rating, easier for the amplifier to drive it. Anything above 88db for a BS would be easy for the amplifier.

Welcome To Sonodyne

They have BS Speaker (8K), Center speaker(6K), surround speaker (10K) & 3 Subwoofer models (between 15 - 25k). Use your discretion to select subwoofer of your choice. Approx 40K u get a good 5.1 speaker system. I am not sure if there Center channel & BS can be wall mounted.

Check their website for any contact details in your city. Hope there should be one.

Sonodyne products (indian brand) are very good in my opinion. For the cheap price (Because they are produced in India) they offer, they are completely unbeatable. For the same 35 - 40K, you will end up with a sub-sat speakers from a foreign brand.

In addition to this, audition few other foreign brands that fellow forum members recommend. Then decide based on your budget & requirements.

I am not an expert, but when i auditioned all these 3 combo 2 months back, i liked paradigm the most
If u are looking to audition more speakers, try energy, wharfedale and tanoy speakers

Denon 1312 - 19k (quote received)
Denon 1612 - 23k (bought 1.5 months back)

Yes paradigm CT70 is a discontinued model, but for the price u r getting it might be worth it. Its MRP used to be 36k. Check with their distributors (KEI india - www.kripaindia.com) on warranty, etc

I believe aesthetics is the primary reason why people go for satellites and not BS/FS. As I said earlier I am not an expert, so might be wrong here. But many experts do suggest to buy BS than satellites for better sound

Best of Luck!!!!!!

Last edited:
I am not an expert, but when i auditioned all these 3 combo 2 months back, i liked paradigm the most
If u are looking to audition more speakers, try energy, wharfedale and tanoy speakers

Denon 1312 - 19k (quote received)
Denon 1612 - 23k (bought 1.5 months back)

Yes paradigm CT70 is a discontinued model, but for the price u r getting it might be worth it. Its MRP used to be 36k. Check with their distributors (KEI india - Welcome to Kripa India) on warranty, etc

I believe aesthetics is the primary reason why people go for satellites and not BS/FS. As I said earlier I am not an expert, so might be wrong here. But many experts do suggest to buy BS than satellites for better sound

Best of Luck!!!!!!

THanks boss... where all did you audition and then which one did you buy?

THanks boss... where all did you audition and then which one did you buy?

I audition at many places including
1. Fairdeal electronics, crawford - paradigm
2. The shop, andheri - paradigm, energy, canton, wharfedale
3. Alliance 4 audio, goregaon - tanoy
4. Profx - polk audio, focal
5. Cinebels - jamo

plus 8-10 more places and more brands

I bought denon1612 n paradigm CT100 from fairdeal electronics
Alliance 4 audio n fairdeal quoted better prices than rest

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back