Denon AVR-1910 vs Onkyo TX-SR706

iyertalks

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie so please bear if i am spewing nonsense.

To give a BG on what i listen -

1. Mainly Indian Classicals
2. 80's, 90's Melodies.
3. AR Rahman Songs.
4. English and Regional Movies.
5. DTH (Airtel)

I am in the process of setting up my HT and was looking at the Onkyo TX-SR706 which was costing INR 50,000 and was very keen but when i spoke to a Audiophile i was told not to go with Onkyo but to check on Denon, Harman Kardon or NAD.

I then narrowed down on the Denon 1910 which was similarly spec'ed. I have not yet Auditioned, which i am planning to do over this weekend.

It would be great if some of you gurus here can help me in choosing the AVR.

I have also narrowed down on the Kef iq90/iq70 (The Price is what is putting me off iQ90 - maybe i will bite the bullet) for the floor standings.

Would appreciate all help.

Cheers

- G

Do go listen to the Denon along with the speakers of your choice. ProFx stocks both Denon receivers and KEF speakers. So that would be a good place to go this weekend. And based on how you like or dislike the combination people here can suggest combinations. All the best.

@micjak77 The Onkyo on the store costs 49 K not sure how much he will come down. The Devon Costs 45K at ProFX. So price wise i am not getting a big difference. So are there any reasons why i should not pick Onkyo. I just wanted to understand the other side.

@thevortex That is exactly what i am going to do this weekend so will keep you all posted.

Thanks all ... :)

The Hyderabad dealer is giving 10-12% discount on the MRP, I am sure you can get the same there.

Also I think the right comparison would have been Denon 1910 Vs Onkyo 606 or 607. Specwise Onkyo 706 looks mightier. But there is one thing that Denon has which is Anchor Bay VRS chip for 1080p upscaling. Onkyo still seems to be stuck with Faroujda here. Not sure about you but I would definitely like to have that in my AVR.

Well if you are deciding to go for the Denon 1910 ... then I would recommend to pair it with Wharfedales ... the best combo that I have ever heard ... Diamond 9.5 towers for the front ... Diamond 9.2 bookshelves for the rear ... Diamond 9 series centre (bigger one) and SW150 or SW250 subwoofer depending on your room size. All the best!!!

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Ramesh - Thanks.

Where can i do an Audition of Wharfdale in Bangalore. Also some indicative prices will help.

BTW - At the Moment i have budget only for the receiver and floor stands. the reason for Bose is mainly because of the price factor.

Cheers

- G

After reading Rave Reviews and Auditions i have now cornered down on the DENON AVR1910.

Now that i have decided on my Amp to be Denon 1910 and i am not clear if i should take the JBL ES80 or KEF IQ50 as my floor standers. My Budget is actually 50 K for the Floorstanders.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

- G

Hi,
You may audition the following :
1. Dali Ikon6(pairs well with Denon)
2. MA RS6(pairs well with Denon)
3. Quad 22L2
4. MS Mezzo6
5. If you can wait a month or two, try MA RX6 as well.
Please note that you may be stretched on your budget for the last 3.

Venkat -

Thanks for this ... I read your review and it seems you are not quite happy with the Denon :)

I heard the Onkyo 706 Against Klipsch and ELAC and i felt it was quite Hollow for Carnatic Music. Maybe they were the speakers.

I heard the Denon against the Keif Speakers iq90 and i felt they were quite Vibrant and the Midrange was quite good. Good amount of detail was delivered in Stereo mode on a Classical Rendering of a Live album.

The IQ90's are bit over my budget and i am just looking around for other options. I will be again auditioning the AVR over this weekend as well.

I am not a audiophile so i may not be looking at the correct things one has to look at. So i greatly appreciate your time on helping me and i mean it.

Cheers

- G

Venkat -

Thanks for this ... I read your review and it seems you are not quite happy with the Denon :)

I heard the Onkyo 706 Against Klipsch and ELAC and i felt it was quite Hollow for Carnatic Music. Maybe they were the speakers.

I heard the Denon against the Keif Speakers iq90 and i felt they were quite Vibrant and the Midrange was quite good. Good amount of detail was delivered in Stereo mode on a Classical Rendering of a Live album.

The IQ90's are bit over my budget and i am just looking around for other options. I will be again auditioning the AVR over this weekend as well.

I am not a audiophile so i may not be looking at the correct things one has to look at. So i greatly appreciate your time on helping me and i mean it.

Cheers

- G

Hi, I would be very careful to get a system for Carnatic music simply because the pressings are not good. The recording studios have all but crapped out except for some odd ones in the recent years.

Because the source determines the output to a very large extent I would not judge a system based on one genre of music let alone Carnatic which tends to be bad reference material.

A good rule of thumb I have used for Carnatic female vocal is lata's voice due to its emphasis on higher frequencies. For stringed instruments you could try some western classical recordings (chopin, Dvorak, Brahms, etc.) and for percussion try jazz (older albums are better here - Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, ...) Of course there are some good albums like Vikku's Together, Flute Shashank's CDs like Margazhi Melodies or Enchanting Hamsadwani.

Thanks for that ... Will take those to the Studio this time and see what they have to offer.

Do you have any Latha specific albums i can use to Audition.

Thanks once again for this.

- G

Thanks for that ... Will take those to the Studio this time and see what they have to offer.

Do you have any Latha specific albums i can use to Audition.

Thanks once again for this.

- G

I do not have an album or couple that have a good round up of the songs but you could try one of her 'best of' albums. I usually use the following from her movies/songs. Note, pretty much any of her songs except some sad tunes are good ones ot test out for. She is unique in that way with her singing style.

Satya Sivam Sundaram (movie)
Veer Zaara (movie)
Rasik balma
Naina Mere Rang Bhare
Dile Se (movie)
Maine Pyar Kiya (movie)

Hello Venkaji,
Actually I have read ur post of July 2008 about Denon 1910. Sir I dont have knowledge of technical music world. After reading a lot on this forum, I just forgave my idea for a HTiB and made mind for Denon 1910.
Dear sir, after reading your post about denon 1910, i have some doubt (i am also trying to get the auditioned soon in Delhi). My choice is 75% music and 25% of movies. I also planned to go for 2.0 Ch speakers in the beginning.But I dont like harsh music which cannt be heard for a long time....i have a music taste which includes melodies. For example u may listen maula-mere-maula song from the movie Anwar/Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. So plz sugges me an AVR which is containing all the features like Denon 1910 (in same price range)..decoding of most of the format just like in 1910 and also for 2.0 speakers so that i will got the utmost musical satisfaction.

Your detailed reply would be highly appreciated.

With regards,
Akeshwar

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back