Denon AVR and HTPC issue

rohan{_mhtr

Hi friends,been using a denon 1713 from few months. Recently tried connecting my pc to theAVR and so far i am unsuccessful.
I am using an ATI HD7700 graphics card and usings it's hdmi out to avr in but getting no display and no sound. When i connect the pc directly to my tv then i do get display. Altough my blu ray player as well as the d2h hd setop box work flawlessly with the avr. I tried different hdmi cables as well as switching hdmi ports on the avr without success. Its driving me crazy. Can someone please explain and help.

Tonight when i reach home i will try the onboard hdmi port of my motherboard. Lets see

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a complicated issue and not very easy to resolve. What is happening is that your graphics card is not sending the correct EDID to the AVR. This happens a lot with ATI cards. There are three ways of solving the issue.

1. Get technical help, get the handshaking protocol that the AVR expects and program that into the HTPC. This is called monifo. In essence you override the EDID being sent out by the HTPC though a translator in between. Some information is available here - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1091403-edid-override-thread-80.html

2. Change the graphics card to one that is known to be compatible with the AVR.

3. Use an external device such as HDMI Detective. (Gefen, LLC - HDMI Detective Plus).

Cheers

Tonight when i reach home i will try the onboard hdmi port of my motherboard. Lets see

That may work, but you wont get either 1080P or high definition audio unless it is built into the motherboard.

Give us an update.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you would have lesser options :)

I have an Nvidia GTX 570 Platinum which doesn't output Dolby TrueHD & DTS HDMA while the GTX560 does. Had to switch to an old AMD 6850 to bitstream correctly from PC.

I tried different hdmi cables as well as switching hdmi ports on the avr without success. Its driving me crazy. Can someone please explain and help.
Try simple trick,it may work.
Connect PC to HDMI 1 of AVR.Just change the HDMI input from remote(say HDMI4) and again select HDMI 1.

Try simple trick,it may work.
Connect PC to HDMI 1 of AVR.Just change the HDMI input from remote(say HDMI4) and again select HDMI 1.

Did that, it didnt work. Apparently even the onboard hdmi didn't work. I had removed the gpu but may be there are some settings in the bios, i will check that out later. I have an i3 cpu so 1080p won't be an issue. anyway thanks for all your help, i think i will have to go with the hard way by tweaking windows.

I have a ATI HD5670 and it works perfectly with my Av-Receiver. I am getting both HD audio and Video and also 3d through the HDMI out without any issues. So, I wonder why your ATI higher models don't work properly. Did you change the HDMI cable? Try it and it may work.

Forgot to tell you, In my Marantz receiver, I have to change the source once and come back again to the original source (in source select button) to get the signal onto the receiver.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back