Denon DRA-800h Stereo Receiver

No I did not.

At level 50 its quite loud.

Not sure if the numbers directly read across from Marantz to Denon (or even between Denons across different models).
The number displayed seems a bit arbitrary (can anyone throw light on this?).

Also, do not think full is 100.

I have never been able to go beyong 65 or so.
At 50 it is not loud at all. Maybe with 2 kids my listening space has just much background noise!! I guess I am just used to having it a bit loud.

I have been eyeing this model too. How does it match up to a plain old stereo amp? Does it have pre outs to use with a power amp? Did you try this configuration?

MaSh

If you really wish to purchase network receiver then think about Onkyo and Pioneer also. They both have MQA decoder which may be the future of stereo. MQA certainly sounds better than CD, Flac etc. Marantz and Denon products are now Roon compatible but you need to have Roon subscription which is about 9.99$/ month. But ( I am not sure) , Roon may decode upto 24bit/96kz MQA signals.

Which one sound better PMA-800NE or DRA-800 as both cost almost same but one is pure stereo amplifier and other is network enabled receiver.

I havent heard the PMA-800NE, but assume as a pure stereo amplifier, it will sound better.
I was looking for convenience (ie streamer + amp together), and I get that from the DRA-800.

And honestly, am quite happy with the sound quality of the DRA-800.

I purchased a Denon DRA800H last month. And I am using it with Wharfedale diamond 11.1. I have got two issues.

1. Network issue: I am using a wifi network, which requires both username and password, but Denon asks the only password, it does not have the option of adding a username.
2. Sound issue: When I connect to a Bluetooth device, it sounds pretty loud at volume level 50, it's more dynamic and open, but when it to my laptop via 3.5 mm to RCA connections, first of all, I need to crank it up all the way to 70, secondly, it doesn't sound that dynamic and open.

Any help!!!

I purchased a Denon DRA800H last month. And I am using it with Wharfedale diamond 11.1. I have got two issues.

1. Network issue: I am using a wifi network, which requires both username and password, but Denon asks the only password, it does not have the option of adding a username.
2. Sound issue: When I connect to a Bluetooth device, it sounds pretty loud at volume level 50, it's more dynamic and open, but when it to my laptop via 3.5 mm to RCA connections, first of all, I need to crank it up all the way to 70, secondly, it doesn't sound that dynamic and open.

Any help!!!

Not very helpful , but here goes :

1. Use a Ethernet cable rather than WiFi. It just always work, without any hassle. Try and conceal the cable by running it along the edge of the floor. You can buy cable of any desired lengthe from amamzon.

2. I would avoid using the 3.5mm output from your laptop. When you do that, it's your lpatop DAC which is converting the digital signal to analog, and most laptop DACs are quite crummy. Use bluetooth from your laptop. Or, if your laptop has an HDMI output, try connecting to the Denon via HDMI. That will be a digital chain, which uses the Denon's DAC.

Any help!!!

1. Are you on a college network cause thats the only scenario i see this happening. You can try hosting a hotspot from your laptop and have denon connect to the same and see if it works.
2. When you connect to a bluetooth device the source is just transmitting the information, but the DAC being used is of the DRA-800h. When you use an analog cable the conversion is being done by your laptop DAC and the output signal from your 3.5mm laptop port is not strong enough.

If you really wish to purchase network receiver then think about Onkyo and Pioneer also. They both have MQA decoder which may be the future of stereo. MQA certainly sounds better than CD, Flac etc. Marantz and Denon products are now Roon compatible but you need to have Roon subscription which is about 9.99$/ month. But ( I am not sure) , Roon may decode upto 24bit/96kz MQA signals.
I was also interested in Onkyo TX8270 for its MQA capability but the listing on OnkyoIndia doesn't have MQA listed. Onkyo's international website lists MQA but foot note says it is not available in certain regions.

I already burnt my fingers once by buying Yamaha RN803 for it's Qobuz support only to realize the variant sold here doesn't support it. Thankfully it's DLNA/UPnP capability came to my rescue. So I would be skeptical about MQA support on the Onkyo.

1. Are you on a college network cause thats the only scenario i see this happening. You can try hosting a hotspot from your laptop and have denon connect to the same and see if it works.

The network issue solved with your answer. Thanks!!

Not very helpful , but here goes :

2. I would avoid using the 3.5mm output from your laptop. When you do that, it's your lpatop DAC which is converting the digital signal to analog, and most laptop DACs are quite crummy. Use bluetooth from your laptop. Or, if your laptop has an HDMI output, try connecting to the Denon via HDMI. That will be a digital chain, which uses the Denon's DAC.

I will try your solution for my sound issue, ordered an HDMI cable. Thanks!!

I have also bought a Denon DRA 800h for my gym room system. It is paired with Polk S60 towers. I only played few hours of music, it sounds like a competent unit. But my room is completely bare with no acoustic treatments. I intend to do some direct comparisons against my two other budget receiver units - Yamaha RN803 and a Pioneer Elite LX302 in my living which has good acoustics. I would be using both Polk S60 and Focal Aria 926 towers. My initial impression is that it isn't as musical as RN803 but it's still too early to comment since RN803 is driving good quality speakers in a place that has better acoustics compared to the Denon.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back