DENON Owners thread

I have an X1600h and I connected my laptop on the front HDMI port. The AVR is connected to my hisense 50inch.
Now I wanted to check if I can play HDR files via MPCHC with MadVR, but the AVR is not passing the hdr signal which I checked via the picture settings.
Now I connected the laptop directly to the TV and the picture mode switched to HDR.
Is the front port limited in this regard or do I need to change something?
Was using Win10 with HDR enabled in display settings and was playing Dolby Vision files taken from Thedigitaltheater.
Also the TV showed only HDR when playing DV file. I do not have a Netflix account to check DV hence this route.
Does your laptop detects your avr as an hdr display.

I would like to post something here and get some help. No exactly an issue but I feel I am lacking something here when it comes to quality of sound. I mean minute details.
I have paired my Denon 2600 with Elac speakers LCR and a BIC PL200ii sub. May be it’s the wires as I am using an old one still and both the LR speakers do not have the same length.
I did spend sometime tinkering with the settings today after a long time and did make some difference from the past but I still feel I may be loosing something.
I did try some music today using Airplay and I think I have almost reached my goal but when it comes to movies, I am not getting that thump. My source is my Smart TV connected via ARC and most of the movies played on Netflix and Prime does not have that vocal clarity when it comes to dialogue delivery and some action scenes like punching or tank bombing does not have that rumble. Do you think moving to a better streaming device can probably change this?? I really have to crank up the volume close to 60 if I have to get the dialogs from the movies.
I am left with some 10sqmm Polycab Electrical Wires with me. Do you suggest to hook that up for my LCR’s and try. ??
If I were you, I'd do the following in the given order:

1. Run Audyssey and ensure crossover frequencies are set correctly.
2. Compare audio from at least two different sources, some times the source level is very low or could be compressed.
3. Boost the source level and check if that improves sound.
4. While I do believe that good quality audio cables can enhance the listening experience but at the same time it may not be necessary to spend a fortune. To start off I may switch to Amazon basics 16-guage speaker wire or Mediabridge, I've used both and can vouch for their capabilities.

Hope this helps, happy listening and don't stress out too much!

Volume of 60 is pretty normal for Netflix and prime. For me, with Netflix it would be close to 65. It's because of compressed audio being sent during streaming. I don't think it will be a huge difference getting a streamer. But do check on the actual signal which you are getting during streaming by pressing info button. Some TV send stereo sound by default instead of multi channel. Another thing to consider is that recently Netflix has been known to throttle the content quality...
Ill check that on the info screen and see what it shows and after the above post in the afternoon, i did do some more tweaking and the music quality increased substantially. Found some steps on the Cambridge audio blog and followed the same on speaker placements and by adding some old temporary foam under the speakers to reduce resonance and it improve.
Now i am struggling with the sub-woofer calibration.

on the BIC PL 200 II, i have set the phase to 0 and kept the volume at 10 o clock and crossover knob turned all the way to the end and i am not sure what should be the cross over switch to be set on the amp plate. would that be to the receiver or the sub woofer amp?

If I were you, I'd do the following in the given order:

1. Run Audyssey and ensure crossover frequencies are set correctly.
2. Compare audio from at least two different sources, some times the source level is very low or could be compressed.
3. Boost the source level and check if that improves sound.
4. While I do believe that good quality audio cables can enhance the listening experience but at the same time it may not be necessary to spend a fortune. To start off I may switch to Amazon basics 16-guage speaker wire or Mediabridge, I've used both and can vouch for their capabilities.

Hope this helps, happy listening and don't stress out too much!
I have only run the Audyssey set up only once and left it to what it was set. it set the subwoofer to -12db but i manually changed it to -8. Do you think running the audyssey another 2 to 3 times or more should bring improvements?

I have only run the Audyssey set up only once and left it to what it was set. it set the subwoofer to -12db but i manually changed it to -8. Do you think running the audyssey another 2 to 3 times or more should bring improvements?
I presume you ran it for the 3 placement settings, may be run it for all the 5 placement settings.
Check whether your Front L-R is set to Large or Small, since they are bookshelves, recommend them to set it to Small and set the cross over to 60Hz.
Set the Center and surrounds to Small as well, the center Cross over can be set to 80Hz, raise the dialogue level as well.
The Polks could be set to 60Hz or 80Hz.
I let my AVR manage the Sub Crossover, so move the crossover to max on the SUB and let the LFE be set to default 120Hz,
before running Audyssey, keep the SUB volume to half.
happy listening...

I presume you ran it for the 3 placement settings, may be run it for all the 5 placement settings.
Check whether your Front L-R is set to Large or Small, since they are bookshelves, recommend them to set it to Small and set the cross over to 60Hz.
Set the Center and surrounds to Small as well, the center Cross over can be set to 80Hz, raise the dialogue level as well.
The Polks could be set to 60Hz or 80Hz.
I let my AVR manage the Sub Crossover, so move the crossover to max on the SUB and let the LFE be set to default 120Hz,
before running Audyssey, keep the SUB volume to half.
happy listening...
Thank you Rajiv. I will try this now once everyone at home sleeps today and see how different it sounds. Ill keep you posted.
The only reason i set the BS's to large simply coz, i feel the 6.5" drivers are okay to be considered large. however, ill try the steps you mentioned and see.

Thank you Rajiv. I will try this now once everyone at home sleeps today and see how different it sounds. Ill keep you posted.
The only reason i set the BS's to large simply coz, i feel the 6.5" drivers are okay to be considered large. however, ill try the steps you mentioned and see.
On a lighter note, don't run Audyssey at night, it might startle your folks with that sounds ;)

Sorry, i have one other thing that i'd like to bring to the table here on Sub's.
Which is better, 1 big sub or 2 small ones. Please accept apologies, if its a stupid question but i am trying to get some inputs from pro's here.

You need to rerun audyssey....sub level of -12 cannot be trusted to be correct as the avr cannot set it any lower and there might be some error. probably, you had set the sub volume on the sub itself quite high to begin with prior to audyssey and you did not adjusted the sub volume during audyssey calibration when it asks. Since you have only one sub, you can keep the phase at 0, if it is placed in front or 180 deg, it it is placed in back.
Crossover setting after audyssey should never be followed. It is never correct.
Do the calibration for atleast 5 to 6 position.

After audyssey, I would start by keeping all your speakers small and crossover at 80. Then during playback, you can experiment by setting various crossover from 60 to 100 and choose one which you like most.
I would also raise the sub level by 4-5 db post audyssey calibration, if you are using dynamic eq. If you are keeping dynamic eq off, then the sub level needs to be raised even further.
Hope this helps..

Cheers
Siju

Sorry, i have one other thing that i'd like to bring to the table here on Sub's.
Which is better, 1 big sub or 2 small ones. Please accept apologies, if its a stupid question but i am trying to get some inputs from pro's here.
Depends on your budget and space available at your listening space..

If you have space and budget, 2 big sub is the way to go...again this is my personal opinion. But ultimately, you should plan for 2 subs. If your budget and space dosent allow, consider 2 small subs.

With dual subs, you also need to consider WAF, if that is critical to you..

Cheers

You need to rerun audyssey....sub level of -12 cannot be trusted to be correct as the avr cannot set it any lower and there might be some error. probably, you had set the sub volume on the sub itself quite high to begin with prior to audyssey and you did not adjusted the sub volume during audyssey calibration when it asks. Since you have only one sub, you can keep the phase at 0, if it is placed in front or 180 deg, it it is placed in back.
Crossover setting after audyssey should never be followed. It is never correct.
Do the calibration for atleast 5 to 6 position.

After audyssey, I would start by keeping all your speakers small and crossover at 80. Then during playback, you can experiment by setting various crossover from 60 to 100 and choose one which you like most.
I would also raise the sub level by 4-5 db post audyssey calibration, if you are using dynamic eq. If you are keeping dynamic eq off, then the sub level needs to be raised even further.
Hope this helps..

Cheers
Siju
This is the plan for today to run the audyssey late night and i will follow all the inputs provided. Thank you for your help.

Depends on your budget and space available at your listening space..

If you have space and budget, 2 big sub is the way to go...again this is my personal opinion. But ultimately, you should plan for 2 subs. If your budget and space dosent allow, consider 2 small subs.

With dual subs, you also need to consider WAF, if that is critical to you..

Cheers
Yes sir. WAF is critical. i need to get something to please and then go for it. by the way, is it okay to pair it with a different brand or do i need to stick to the same brand that i already have?

Dear FMs, can someone tell me about the Watts usage for Denon X4500h or 2600 or 3600 or 6500 if using all 5 channels or 7 channels or 9 channels together.
See, We all know the AVRs say 95W per Channel for 2600, 105W per channel for 3600 , 125W per channel for 4500 and so on....

Please Clarify my understanding here, If I am running a 5.1 setup with 3600, Does this mean that each channel is getting 105W output ?
Or the actual equation is more speakers I drive from the AVR at a decent volume in a big room, Per Channel Watts decrease per speaker, Say 90 or 80 or 70W....

This is something I wanted to know very clearly, Based on this only I might be able to make a decision on a Power Amplifier.

Dear FMs, can someone tell me about the Watts usage for Denon X4500h or 2600 or 3600 or 6500 if using all 5 channels or 7 channels or 9 channels together.
See, We all know the AVRs say 95W per Channel for 2600, 105W per channel for 3600 , 125W per channel for 4500 and so on....

Please Clarify my understanding here, If I am running a 5.1 setup with 3600, Does this mean that each channel is getting 105W output ?
Or the actual equation is more speakers I drive from the AVR at a decent volume in a big room, Per Channel Watts decrease per speaker, Say 90 or 80 or 70W....

This is something I wanted to know very clearly, Based on this only I might be able to make a decision on a Power Amplifier.
The more speakers you drive through the AVR , the less power gets supplied to them.

The power rating on AVRs is usually for 2 channels and shouldnt be trusted much.

no result...my bluettoth laptop and asus phone just dont read this avr
You have to keep holding the bluetooth button till it shows pairing. Once the device is paired it will connect automatically next time. You have to follow same procedure for adding any new device. I have issues with my ROG2 phone and I have to add device again and again. iPad work seamlessly.

I would like to post something here and get some help. No exactly an issue but I feel I am lacking something here when it comes to quality of sound. I mean minute details.
I have paired my Denon 2600 with Elac speakers LCR and a BIC PL200ii sub. May be it’s the wires as I am using an old one still and both the LR speakers do not have the same length.
I did spend sometime tinkering with the settings today after a long time and did make some difference from the past but I still feel I may be loosing something.
I did try some music today using Airplay and I think I have almost reached my goal but when it comes to movies, I am not getting that thump. My source is my Smart TV connected via ARC and most of the movies played on Netflix and Prime does not have that vocal clarity when it comes to dialogue delivery and some action scenes like punching or tank bombing does not have that rumble. Do you think moving to a better streaming device can probably change this?? I really have to crank up the volume close to 60 if I have to get the dialogs from the movies.
I am left with some 10sqmm Polycab Electrical Wires with me. Do you suggest to hook that up for my LCR’s and try. ??

For me I play at 60-65 for Netflix and prime. It all depends how much power you supply to the speakers. More power= more sound at low volume. You can bi-amp speakers if your AVR has additional ports. Just an FYI upto 50-100 hours play the sub at 50% volume (knob) let it open up. I have the same sub and the dealer recommended me this.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back