Denon X3700H prompting firmware update. Risk it or not?

rshri

My new AVR signaled of a new firmware update yesterday night. I have done a firmware update on it before. Should I risk doing this one? What are other form members planning for this firmware update?

I've connected X3600H to my Router using RJ45 cable and the update happened without any hiccups, not sure what the changes were, it asked and i said yes, it was all done in less than 5 mins

I think the problems of software update is more an exception than a norm. I had done a 13000 odd rupees Auro 3D update on my Marantz SR 7010 and I remember it taking quite a while for it to complete but it went on without any hiccups.

I would not hesitate to install any updates on my Marantz.

It did show up on mine too, but I have chosen to ignore it.
I am not facing any issues with the x3700, no new features are getting added with the new update. The user experience also won't change.
Sound quality won't be changing, so I am keeping it as it is and not updating.
Maybe its just me 😁

There is always a risk with firmware updates. Considering the current situation of the AVR market, you may have a hard time getting a replacement / repair done in case anything breaks. So it would be better to skip it unless you absolutely need a new feature that comes with the upgrade.

Either way, please make sure to use a wired network for the upgrade and do not do it over WiFi. Also, you must ensure that there is no power loss during the process.

If your AVR is under warranty - you can give it a try. If not why risk an update if everything sounds fine? As pointed out above, there is a huge supply demand gap in the AVR market and getting a replacement is not easy.

So, the engineers at Denon and Marantz come out with software updates that does nothing just so they can justify the salaries paid to them. Or maybe they are bringing out updates to deliberately crash the receivers so that their ASS partners get some business.

Or, could it be possible that they discovered some fault in the code or hardware that could cause a breakdown in future and fixed it. This won't be a feature add or an improvement in the sound but still a fix that one would want in ones receiver.

The way I see it, say a thousand guys do an update, one update fails. The person whose update failed starts a new thread on HFV. The 999 other guys go about their business listening to movies and music on their updated receivers.

I totally agree that updates have to be done over a physical connection rather than on WiFi.

My only concern is that, if an update fails, there should be a way to rollback the update and get the receiver working again. If the update fails and is required to be taken to a service center, then there is something seriously wrong with the programmers at Denon and Marantz.

Last edited:
So, the engineers at Denon and Marantz come out with software updates that does nothing just so they can justify the salaries paid to them. Or maybe they are bringing out updates to deliberately crash the receivers so that their ASS partners get some business.

Or, could it be possible that they discovered some fault in the code or hardware that could cause a breakdown in future and fixed it. This won't be a feature add or an improvement in the sound but still a fix that one would want in ones receiver.
Sometimes there are updates available for features we do not use. Those update, no matter how important, is not relevant to the person not using it. For example, my Yamaha receiver got an update for improving Spotify integration. However, since I do not use that service, that update does not make sense for me.

The primary reason for discouraging the OP to update is because of spare availability. Even under normal situations, getting a replacement takes a few weeks or sometimes even more if the dealer does not have stock. I have faced this situation myself which forced me to buy a standby IA just to get some kind of output from my speakers.

Regarding the rollback option, I completely agree that there should be a feature like that and most likely is already present in most AVRs. However, typically, firmware is flashed to an EEPROM and in case there is a power loss during the actual flashing process, it will render the system unusable unless there is a secondary backup chip, similar to what some PC motherboards and graphics cards have nowadays.

Regarding the rollback option, I completely agree that there should be a feature like that and most likely is already present in most AVRs. However, typically, firmware is flashed to an EEPROM and in case there is a power loss during the actual flashing process, it will render the system unusable unless there is a secondary backup chip, similar to what some PC motherboards and graphics cards have nowadays.
Whenever I do any firmware updates, I temporarily connect my AVR to the UPS. AVR is connected to the network via a physical CAT5 cable. Take these precautions and I see no reason for a firmware update to fail.

I would love to see a back up ROM chip in an AVR from which the EEPROM could be flashed in case of a failure.

As a person who has undergone a yoyo experience with my Denon AVR, (and somehow by a fluke or luck now has his AVR working), I strongly suggest this:

1. There is no need of update if you don't have any issues related with your current usage.

2. You can always set the auto-update setting disabled.

3. If you feel an itch to update then do it with wired internet. Do it on the device settings.
(My experience through Heos app was a disappointing one)

4. The updates are I feel more of a common core code and usually for bugs in newer models.

5. Be very fluent with the process of factory resetting, network resetting, and a simple reset. If possible save a config on a USB stick. It might help.

As a person who has undergone a yoyo experience with my Denon AVR, (and somehow by a fluke or luck now has his AVR working), I strongly suggest this:

1. There is no need of update if you don't have any issues related with your current usage.

2. You can always set the auto-update setting disabled.

3. If you feel an itch to update then do it with wired internet. Do it on the device settings.
(My experience through Heos app was a disappointing one)

4. The updates are I feel more of a common core code and usually for bugs in newer models.

5. Be very fluent with the process of factory resetting, network resetting, and a simple reset. If possible save a config on a USB stick. It might help.
Can you please tell us what went wrong. How did you go about your update ? TIA

Am quite curious about this as I don't really expect engineers of Denon and Marantz to goof up this badly. Unless, they have been recruiting Microsoft engineers of late.

Update : The ARC issue fixed after changing the HDMI cable during trial and error troubleshooting… the older cable was working absolutely fine before the firmware upgrade…. i could not derive the correlation
All's well that ends well.

Why specifically on a wired connection and not on wifi?
Sometimes there are updates available for features we do not use. Those update, no matter how important, is not relevant to the person not using it. For example, my Yamaha receiver got an update for improving Spotify integration. However, since I do not use that service, that update does not make sense for me.

The primary reason for discouraging the OP to update is because of spare availability. Even under normal situations, getting a replacement takes a few weeks or sometimes even more if the dealer does not have stock. I have faced this situation myself which forced me to buy a standby IA just to get some kind of output from my speakers.

The way I see it, say a thousand guys do an update, one update fails. The person whose update failed starts a new thread on HFV. The 999 other guys go about their business listening to movies and music on their updated receivers.

I totally agree that updates have to be done over a physical connection rather than on WiFi.

My only concern is that, if an update fails, there should be a way to rollback the update and get the receiver working again. If the update fails and is required to be taken to a service center, then there is something seriously wrong with the programmers at Denon and Marantz.

Why specifically on a wired connection and not on wifi?
Wi-Fi is prone to interference from other nearby Wi-Fi connections, Bluetooth and cordless phone connections especially the 2.4 Ghz band. This might translate to slower speeds and dropped connections. The 5 Ghz band is quite a lot better but nothing can beat a wired network for stability of connection.

In my opinion, most of the firmware update issues faced by us are due to interruptions, either network or power, during firmware update

Wired connection would be more reliable, minimal interference and faster speed.

Wifi may have more interference especially with walls and literally half the speed as seen with Jio.

Wired connection would be more reliable, minimal interference and faster speed.

Wifi may have more interference especially with walls and literally half the speed as seen with Jio.
On my Sony TV, the wired connection is limited to 100 Mbps by the TV network card. Wireless on the TV goes to 226 Mbps in 5 Ghz Band. I am currently connected to the TV via Wi-Fi.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back