Descent theatre system for my new home

edesigner

Hi,

My first post. I just found this wonderful forum while searching for some good audio products dealers in Kolkata.
I have already found lot of good information here and i am sure i will get some great guidance in selecting a good home theatre system.

I am looking to setup a nice home theatre system for my new floor.

Room dimension:
---------------
I have a living room 18ft x 15ft. The music system will be placed on one of the 15 ft walls/cabinet. I already have a 42" Plasma TV mounted on this wall. Have already setup cables for 4 satellite speakers at four corners of the room. My viewing/listening distance is 12/13 ft.

Looking for:
-----------
A good speaker system 5.1 for the setup. A descent amplifier to support and match it. I would like both the TV and the Music to be played thru this system. The same system should be able to handle audio from music DVDs/MP3s and also from movie discs, TV output. A good DVD player. This can either be integrated with the amplifier or dedicated.

Budget:
--------
I don't have a deep pocket (after building my home) right now. Not sure if i will get something descent but my budget is around 60-70K.

Knowledge:
-----------
My knowledge is not very deep. Though i am familiar with the big names like Bose, Jamo, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Tannoy, Dali, Warfedale, etc. Have checked few places like the Bose shop at city centre, e-zones, e-mall shop, etc. But not quite sure about the combination and pricing.

I do not need too many functions in the system. The sound should be of high quality. Must be easy to use by both me and my wife. Should be hardy enough to withstand the occasional blows from my 2 year old girl.

Our preference of music is English country, instrumentals, pop and Ghazals.
Love English action movies and science fictions.

I guess this gives a good enough description of my need.
Have plans to get it setup before the Durga puja. so a fast reply from you guys will be appreciated.

If ya need further info, please post.

Thanks a lot to all members and the forum admins for such wonderful info.

Regards

Hey Guys,

Whats up?
No help from any one of you.
Theres many audiophiles in this forum but getting no suggestion from any one of you.

Rgds

This is a question that has been raised 100s of times by many new members and has been answered 100 of times before. If you read through the threads for the last one week, you will find all your answers.

Just remember you cannot depend upon the ears or experience of others to choose for you. You must go out, audition a few brands and models and come back and tell us what you liked. THEN, we can point you in the right direction.

What I can do right now is to point you to some brands:

1. AVRs - Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon.
2. DVD Players - Pioneer, Oppo
3. Speakers - Q-Acoustics, Wharfedale, Mission, Mordaunt Short.

I have skipped a lot of speaker brands that might end up pushing your budget. Now, armed with this information, go to a few shops and audition these brand combinations. Come back with information, and tell us what you liked. We can then shortlist the products you have to buy.

Cheers

Last edited:
Buddy

Good to know that you are dedicating towards a Home Theater...
And congratulations on a new floor upgrade...

Buddy i am not sure in this budget what kind of expectations you have, but in any case i am suggesting you two ways for your setup, choose the one you feel better...

1). Build up your HT - Slow but Value for Money and effective...
Your setup and viewing distance is good enough for bookshelves, but
the 18ft width and more dedication towards music makes Floorstanders a must for you..
Q Acoustics - 2050 Floorstanders - Rs.42,000
Cambridge 550R - 7.1 Reciever - Rs.46,000
Sony/Samsung Basic DVD Player - Rs.4,000
Total Rs.92,000 MRP
Use the cables that comes along with the amp and DVD player...
Add the rear speakers, center and subwoofer later when you have more money to shell out...
This will be incomplete system, but your music requirements will be fullfilled...
And you will have a proper setup building up...

2). 5.1 Setup - One shot setup, but very basic setup for Music...
Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 Package - Rs.58,000
Denon - 1311 - 5.1 Reciever - Rs.25,000
Sony/Samsung Basic DVD Player - Rs.4,000
Total Rs.87,000 MRP - Offer Price Rs.80,000
Not so great for Music but great for movies...
Upgrade to good DVD/BluRay player later with good HDMI Interconnects...

Make your choice...

Budget:
--------
I don't have a deep pocket (after building my home) right now. Not sure if i will get something descent but my budget is around 60-70K.

I would advice this system based on this budget:

1. JBL 5.1 speaker package -- 13k. Details on this page:
http://www.hifivision.com/hot-deals/12854-jbl-5-1-package-sbs-140-bkfor-13000-a.html

2. Entry level AVR from Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha -- 20 to 30k

3. DVD + Blue Ray player : 12k

4. Media player (Xtreamer or WD TV Live) : 9k

Keep in mind that whatever you buy, you should audition it first.

Thanks to you all.

I like some of the options you have put forward.
Can you also suggest a few model nos for the brands you suggested.
I would like to check those and take an audition.

Rgds

Let me add my 2 cents here...to begin with I was in the exact same situation few months back as you are today. My budget was about 40-50k and did not know what to chose in this range.

I happen to meet one of the HT installation guys in Bangalore and he suggested me the following combi:

Onkyo Receiver 7.1 TSR577
Pure Accoustics 5.1 speakers (2 floor standing, 2 book shelf)

This came at a price of 58K almost 3 months back and was a package deal from Onkyo. They also take care of the servicing aspect in case anything goes wrong.

Personally, I am very satisfied with this system and has excellent quality to match the budget. There are loads of other combinations you can work on but they will shoot up the budget by at least 50%. If you are looking for value for money type experience, I think this is an excellent option.

As a disclaimer, these are my personal views based on experience with this product however best to check out yourself and pass your own judgement.

Happy hunting!

hi Kulkan,

That sounds interesting, but do you think this combi is still available.
Also i'm located in Kolkata. Will i get it here?

Thanks

hi my suggest is get a yamaha reciever rx v467 cost rs 26,000 and mission speaker package cost 28,000 which includes md8 pair of floor standing speakers, 2 bookshelfs speakers , 1 sub woofer 100watts, 1 centre speaker . can blow upto 200watts and reciever is 3d compactible even if you plan to buy a blueray player it cost you 10-15k so total would be 65k max.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back