Design and Assembly - 2a3 Direct Coupled, Two-Stage Tube Amplifier

Hari Iyer

Finally this project has kicked off from the assembly point of view from yesterday with arrival of my chassis. Most parts were sourced this month but some of them were sourced almost 2 months ago. Here are some images for you to feast your eyes :)

1703559175139.jpeg

1703559204540.jpeg

1703559230416.jpeg

1703559369409.jpeg

Estimated completion date is around March/April - 2024

Thanks for looking.

I assembled for 2 days and could not do further as I don't have any more mil spec wire with me. I tried to use whatever I had. My mentor was furious with me and scolded me for using leftover wires. He has shipped me the required mill spec wires to continue the built. Now have to wait 3 weeks for them to arrive and rewire with them. Here is the kmage as of yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG-20231227-WA0019.jpeg
    IMG-20231227-WA0019.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 47
Last week there was good progress in the development of the amplifier with the arrival of the flywheel chokes and transformers. I was able to schedule and assemble one channel last weekend and am listening for some time. Only one channel is currently built and i am planning to complete the other channel the coming weekend.
Won't like to confuse audiophiles with adjectives as to how the amplifier is sounding, but just use the two words "Very Nice". This amplifier will be with me till the first week of April if everything goes as per plan and later be shipped to Bangalore. Any Mumbai FM keen for a listen can PM me directly.

Thanks for looking.

2a3-Hari Iyer.jpg

Completed both channels yesterday evening and played them for 6 hrs non stop. A very important step of adding bypass capacitors is still pending in this amplifier. Various values of bypass is required. I have planned for Mundorf silver oil, Dynami cap, wondercap and WIMA tobe used. All the above caps will cost a fortune.

Mundorf silver oil, Dynami cap, wondercap, Tai Han outside budget and also difficult to source. Settling with WIMA and Orange Drops for now. Lets see if this is able to do the job.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back