Designing a new dedicated listening room, need advice.

eddie_fox

Hi fellow FMs,

I am planning to build a new house, and am in the design stage currently. Having always been a 'living room setup' guy, this will be my first time foray into planning for a dedicated and separate space for my setup. The house is outside the city and space is not too much of a concern, however, cost certainly is, and they are proportionally linked. So, am trying to design a decent, enjoyable space, without costing me an arm and a leg.

Room usage:
Primary use: Stereo setup with my current floor-standers (Blumenhofers) and my turntable. Might upgrade in the future
Secondary use: Projector screen behind the speakers and an average ceiling mounted projector (not thinking 5.1 for now, but maybe in the future)

I have planned this setup as a part of a stand-alone room, outside the main house. This will also house my snooker table (12' x 6'). The total length of the room is 29' and the width is 15'. The ceiling will be flat at 12'.

However, I have planned an 'L' shape extension (as seen in diagram below), which will be the listening section. This section is about 18 'x 11'6". This will house the music setup.

Can you please help me with feedback on:
1. Is this a good design for my requirement?
2. Are there better setup placement / room shape ideas?
3. Is the size of the music area sufficient for near/mid field listening?
4,Is there any advantage in having a higher ceiling or a sloped roof?
5. Will this space also work for a HT setup, if I want to expand?
6. What kind of room treatment should I plan ahead for?
7. Any other suggestions?

I have time to change the plans now, before we start constructing early next year. So would love any inputs. Thanks.

Music room.png

@eddie_fox
Long time!! You've been silent on the forum. Nice recreation room plan.

I would suggest the following:
1. Option to mirror the listening setup
2. Stick open bookcases to hold books, records, whiskey ;) at the alcove corners facing the speakers
3. Keep the space between the bookcases free to stick the small table and maybe host a projector
4. Symmetrical windows on 18 ft wall (3 feet windows, 3 feet away from edges)
5. Window to the left of pool table (opposite the entrance by the cobbled pathway)

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Raghu,

Yes, has been a while. I am currently closer to you (in Jayanagar), btw.
Thanks for your suggestions.

1. When you say 'mirroring the listening setup', are you suggesting a 'T' shaped room?
2. That is the plan: records and whiskeys at the back wall
3. Was thinking of going for a ceiling mounted projector later, but agree with you, a table-top projector can work for now.
4. Tbh, I was thinking I will skip any windows in the listening section, as I was worried they may affect the acoustics. So, no windows on the 18 feet wall. But, was wondering if I can have 1 window on the back wall (behind the listening position), between the record/book racks. I thought that will be a good distance away from the speakers and can be covered with either thick curtains or shades. What do you think?
5. Yes, that window opposite the cobbled stone entrance is possible.

Overall, I'd prefer to keep it either windowless or minimum windows, as it suits all my snooker, listening, projector and bar vibes.

@eddie_fox

One suggestion, as you may be adding a 5.1 setup later: once you’ve finalized what’s going where, put wall/floor conduits for speaker wiring in place.
This will save you a lot of hassle later, and will keep everything looking neat and tidy.

I would suggest a ceiling mount projector as it will free up the floor space.

Good branded UPVC windows like LG or Fenesta has excellent acoustic insulation properties as compared to aluminum or conventional windows. If it matches your décor then you can think of it on the 18' wall.

Skip the room treatment now. You can plan for it once the equipment and speaker placements are finalized.

@eddie_fox

One suggestion, as you may be adding a 5.1 setup later: once you’ve finalized what’s going where, put wall/floor conduits for speaker wiring in place.
This will save you a lot of hassle later, and will keep everything looking neat and tidy.
Thanks Coaltrain, I will bear that in mind.

I would suggest a ceiling mount projector as it will free up the floor space.

Good branded UPVC windows like LG or Fenesta has excellent acoustic insulation properties as compared to aluminum or conventional windows. If it matches your décor then you can think of it on the 18' wall.

Skip the room treatment now. You can plan for it once the equipment and speaker placements are finalized.
I got similar suggestion regarding UPVC windows from @raghupb, who graciously helped with some design tips too. Thanks @jbkar

Hi fellow FMs,

I am planning to build a new house, and am in the design stage currently. Having always been a 'living room setup' guy, this will be my first time foray into planning for a dedicated and separate space for my setup. The house is outside the city and space is not too much of a concern, however, cost certainly is, and they are proportionally linked. So, am trying to design a decent, enjoyable space, without costing me an arm and a leg.

Room usage:
Primary use: Stereo setup with my current floor-standers (Blumenhofers) and my turntable. Might upgrade in the future
Secondary use: Projector screen behind the speakers and an average ceiling mounted projector (not thinking 5.1 for now, but maybe in the future)

I have planned this setup as a part of a stand-alone room, outside the main house. This will also house my snooker table (12' x 6'). The total length of the room is 29' and the width is 15'. The ceiling will be flat at 12'.

However, I have planned an 'L' shape extension (as seen in diagram below), which will be the listening section. This section is about 18 'x 11'6". This will house the music setup.

Can you please help me with feedback on:
1. Is this a good design for my requirement?
2. Are there better setup placement / room shape ideas?
3. Is the size of the music area sufficient for near/mid field listening?
4,Is there any advantage in having a higher ceiling or a sloped roof?
5. Will this space also work for a HT setup, if I want to expand?
6. What kind of room treatment should I plan ahead for?
7. Any other suggestions?

I have time to change the plans now, before we start constructing early next year. So would love any inputs. Thanks.

View attachment 64668

Hi Eddie :)

I would immediately rotate the speakers 90 degrees to go onto the 18 feet long wall. First you will have imaging intact with symmetrical walls on both sides.

Second you won't have a wall at your back to induce comb filtering.

Third, the speakers can be placed wider and toed in larger to give a larger sound stage.

Fourth, you won't be under pressure to place the speakers either close to side or back wall. And you have a lot more room to play with.

Fifth, it will sound uniformly good into your pool table area as well. With a lateral placement like your original plan. With a protruding wall on one side, the pool table area will sonically look like a alcove. And the bass will definitely suck there.

All the best :)

Hi @Yelamanchili manohar, thanks for the inputs.
I understand the logic behind your suggestion, and agree with you that there is a lot of merit in placing the speakers in front of the 18' wall. I have a room, almost 29' in length and I can easily accommodate the seating for the listening position about 10 - 12' behind this wall.
I have 3 options currently:
1. Speakers inside the alcove
2. Speakers against the opposite wall from the alcove
3. Speakers in front of the 18' feet wall, firing into the length of the room (in which case, i may not need the alcove)

I feel I should have electric points planned for all options and take the call later, perhaps. Hmmm, food for thought. Thanks.

The other option is to put a screen (in terms of curtain) or a wooden sliding door to separate the pool area from the listening area. That way your listening area has lesser sound leakages and a more symmetric design.

I would move the pool table to the space where speakers are planned (if it would fit) and put the speakers in 14 feet side.. there is symmetry for first reflection. And you can have a screen behind the speakers.

Back