Designing a TT from old parts..

hkravin

Hi,

I am planning to build a TT using an old Philips Electronic 242 platter, motor and circuit..with a Pioneer PL-3000's tonearm [1]. The cabinet will be made using wood.
Does it sound like a good idea?

[1] I am not an electronics guy, so circuit and motor set up will be done by one of my friends. cabinet will be made by a carpenter, I am working on the cabinet design.

Last edited:
Interesting project hkravin. All the very best mate. Knowledgeable members here will help you see your project through for sure. Will watch follow this thread with great interest and drop by for a listen when you are done :).

When I was a kid, one of the seniors in our school made a DIY turntable for a science exhibition. This was a run-away hit at school. I still remember him playing 45rpm records on what looked like an inverted plasic plate. Truly vintage DIY. He is currently a scientist with NASA.

By the way Sachin, that Altmann DIY turntable is simply amazing...loved the arm!!

@hkravin: look for a better motor... try and score a garrad transcription motor (like the ones that have in the 301 / 401).

also, connect with Virnji (of Lyrita) he made his own wooden tonearm and i have heard it on his 301. it was super...

Hi Malvai and all,

I had that thought about of a better motor. But I am not sure, how a different motor can be used to spin a Philips 11.2 inches platter. [ I surmise platter dimensions matters a lot ]
While thinking of the design, a few questions came up are:
1. mounting dimensions for the tonearm.
2. Height of Tonearm in relation to the platter
3. Distance from centre of the platter to the centre of tonearm
4. distance between motor and platter [ mine is a belt drive ]
5. Does the elasticity of the belt matters?
6. Suspended platter of fixed one, which one is better?

Details of the parts I have:

1. Pioneer PL-3000 tonearm, S shaped Pipe, 221 mm,
2. Motor, an old motor for Philips Electronics 242 with belt
3. Platter from Philips Electronics 242, with the sub platter, 11.2 inches
4. the PCB from Philips Electronics 242 which has control switches, power supply

Thoughts?

Regards,

HK/

Hi Malvai and all,

I had that thought about of a better motor. But I am not sure, how a different motor can be used to spin a Philips 11.2 inches platter. [ I surmise platter dimensions matters a lot ]
While thinking of the design, a few questions came up are:
1. mounting dimensions for the tonearm.
2. Height of Tonearm in relation to the platter
3. Distance from centre of the platter to the centre of tonearm
4. distance between motor and platter [ mine is a belt drive ]
5. Does the elasticity of the belt matters?
6. Suspended platter of fixed one, which one is better?

Details of the parts I have:

1. Pioneer PL-3000 tonearm, S shaped Pipe, 221 mm,
2. Motor, an old motor for Philips Electronics 242 with belt
3. Platter from Philips Electronics 242, with the sub platter, 11.2 inches
4. the PCB from Philips Electronics 242 which has control switches, power supply

Thoughts?

Regards,

HK/
1.You can get mounting distance from vinylengine.com for 221 mm arm.
2.Tonearm should be parallel to record surface
3.Vinylengine.com
4.Doesn't matter IMHO
5.Yes
If you are looking for belt drive TT you have to calculate the pulley diameter for 33 and 45 RPM speed.This motor will work just fine for you,later you can upgrade for Maxon motor from china with Mark Kelly controller for better results.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Sachu,
Floppy Motor is interesting!!
I have tried to contact Maxon India, here in Bangalore, requested the details for :
A-max 26-# 110191
RE-max 29-#226779
RE-max 29-#226761
RE 25-#118748

I could not find any details on Mark Kelly controller though.

Just curious...I couldn't find any DIY TT[1] projects in the forum, is it because of the difficulty level involved?

[1] I mean all DIY TT, not from parts that I am trying to do :)

HK/

Hi Sachu,
Floppy Motor is interesting!!
I have tried to contact Maxon India, here in Bangalore, requested the details for :
A-max 26-# 110191
RE-max 29-#226779
RE-max 29-#226761
RE 25-#118748

I could not find any details on Mark Kelly controller though.

Just curious...I couldn't find any DIY TT[1] projects in the forum, is it because of the difficulty level involved?

[1] I mean all DIY TT, not from parts that I am trying to do :)

HK/

Hi,
Floppy drive is very high end motor for TT.You can find mark Kelly controller here,you can also DIY one
Vinyl Asylum: REVIEW: Mark Kelly Motor Controller Papst 3-Phase Controller Turntables by grinagog
Mark Kelly is a member in Diyaudio.com,you can send him a PM.
You can build TT from existing motor/floppy motor and calculate pulley diameter for 33/45 RPM speed.You can add a speed controller later for fine tuning.
look here for pulley diameter
Need help on pulley diameter calculation - diyAudio
There are tons of thread on Diyaudio.com for DIY TT/tonearm.You can PM members there and ask your queries.
Designing TT is fairly complex,but very doable IMO.I am very much interested in this thread now.All the best for your project.

Regards,
Sachin

Great...thanks Sachu.

also, I have a 2006 DIYMAG copy downloaded. There is a mark Kelly controller article in that, written by him only.

HK/

I have contacted Mark Kelly, looks like his designs are not available any more.

Maxon Motors Quotation for DC Motors, from maxon precision motor India Pvt. Ltd [1]

Bangalore Ex-Works price [ tax, packing&forwarding, and freight extra ]

110191: A-max26 EBCLL 7W SL 1WE - Rs. 8,368-/-
226779: RE-max29 EBCLL 9W SL 2WE - Rs. 12,240-/-
226761: RE-max29 EBCLL 15W SL 1WE - Rs. 12,136-/-
118748: DC motor RE25 EBCLL 10W KL 2WE - Rs. 20,120-/-
250521: mmc 4-Q-DC servoamplifier LSC 30/2 - Rs. 15,144-/-

So, for the time being, I am going to stick to Philips 242 motor :)

[1] for the benefit of members who are interested in Maxon motors.

I'm thinking the motor would be much cheaper if shipped from abroad. I've also seen them come up for sale in the DIYAudio.com classifieds, sometimes with the controller PCB and parts. I do have the last version of the circuit design and the manual somewhere if you need it. If you do decide to go for the Maxon motor, make sure you do not skimp on the bearing and platter...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back