Did VGP(Indira Nagar) give me a used Samsung LA40C530?

take pics of it with the invoice + that days newspaper showing the date in front of it (ALL THREE SHOULD BE VISIBLE), WHY NEWSPAPER? Newspaper because that shows the date and will be an authentic proof and will be admissible in court,
I have seen this statement about the newspaper thing quite a few times, in this forum.
How on earth is it a valid proof that too admissible in court?
You can hold any day's newspaper or whatever infront of a camera for that matter.

Well newspapers are a valid proof of the date the pic was taken, the opposing prty can argue that the pic is not valid and it was taken months after the purchase, which the court cannot refute past the date showing on the newspaper. that means on such and such date the TV was already used for such and such hours. It could be that the opposing party argues it was taken months after the purchase, here is when your phone records, emails forwarded, written complaints forwarded will count accompanied with the pic.

Now ideally the pic should have been taken the first day itself, but since that was not the case, the first day he initiated contact with the dealer, he should take the pic with that days newspaper, and if god forbid matter was to go further he can show the pic accompanied with other proofs mentioned above to cover one base ATLEAST. I know it's not enough but it's better than having nothing at hand, it only makes your case stronger, whereas doing nothing and whining with these Money monger Dealers is NOT gonna DO YOU ANY GOOD.

This is precisely the reason why i am saying you have to move fast now, cos the longer you wait the harder it will get for you to prove anything, the passive approach WILL NOT HELP YOU. That is why i said give them a deadline and stick by it, don't fall for their excuses.

Last edited:
I dont think calling a service engineer from Samsung just to hold the remote for some time while you take the pictures, is a good idea. Since the set is already used, at this juncture, how do you prove that those 40 extra hours are not watched by you but by the visitors of the showroom??

About media, they are better friends to Samsung than to you as they get lot of revenues through their advts. Media will step in only if the court has taken a decision in favour of a consumer for a 'serious issue', not for trivial ones. You need to look at the gravity of the complaint, this is not about seeking replacement for a broken or malfunctioning TV for the media to pounce in. But if you think media is a solution, then you can take your friend posing as a media personnel, and if that gives jitters to the dealer, probably that is the best solution, which everyone here can follow.

Imagine, if the dealers can make huge profits by selling display items then what will they have on display after selling all of them, posters and banners of TVs?

Friend, I am from service industry, I have handled various departments- marketing, grievances and media promotions in the past. I know how big companies react to threatenings when there is no glaring error on their part. They file a response to the notice you sent and it would take several months in the proceedings. Infact, you have to file a suit against the dealer per se, not the company if you decide to take the legal route. My knowledge says 99% of the complaints are settled amicably if it is approached in the right direction not as Mr. Consumer turned Lawyer.

I am asking you a simple question, are you going to switch off your TV and lose your sleep all those months, expecting for a replacement? I am saying try whatever is possible without exhausting yourselves. But it is all upto you.

Well newspapers are a valid proof of the date the pic was taken, the opposing prty can argue that the pic is not valid and it was taken months after the purchase. So that's why it is a valid evidence admissible in court, which the court cannot refute past the date showing on the newspaper.

But you can alway hold a one month old newspaper while taking the pic?

But you can alway hold a one month old newspaper while taking the pic?

that means on such and such date the TV was already used for such and such hours. It could be that the opposing party argues it was taken months after the purchase, here is when your phone records, emails forwarded, written complaints forwarded will count accompanied with the pic.

Please read, now for the consumer turned lawyer, ONCE AGAIN it's better to have something in hand than nothing.

Now having served in the serivce industry you know it better than me how dumb the serivce engineers are that these companies hire, these are not professionals, these are guys they pick up from the streets who don't have 1 iota of knowledge what they are dealing with, they have just got one or 2 tricks up their sleeves, and if you know how to, you can easily get them in the frame. ANd it's not like you are going to do a photo shoot of him.

From my personal experience i have had very good experiences dealing with media, your contacts also go a very long way into this. Well ignorance is a bliss, if you don't believe the profit these guys make then what can I say, But i have worked with Godrej before I landed a good Old Govt. Job, and I know how things work in the corporate circle.

Last edited:
Hi,
One question?
Are you sure this is a demo unit? I mean, there is a possibility that this was a returned piece. Or perhaps, its one of those units that went on display for about a week. ( ~40 hrs of use, -> 5 days, with 8 hrs a day run).
I agree, had it been 200 hrs or 500hrs we really need to fight. But 40hrs is not "that" significant, don't you think?
I agree that it was not the right thing for the dealer to push a box, without informing you. But I don't think it warrants such a big fight. What you can do, is express your dissatisfaction to the top management, and leave it at that.
(Think about it, a TV with 100,000 hrs of life, 40hrs represents 0.04%, or 0.02% if you take it as 200,000)

My concern is, in the process of fighting and struggling, you will not get to enjoy your television as much as you ought to :)

Mods : Please delete this post, Accidental Double posting.

Is there a "Report to Mods" button anywhere?

Last edited:
Well we have clearly got a difference of opinion here and two choices on your hand, now you have to decide, For me at a personal level i would have taken it to whatever lengths possible and would have got my piece replaced or at least would have given that dealer a run for his life and nightmares he would have remembered for the rest of his freaking life.

On a side note though, if nothing else, an experience like this teaches you a lot of things that you will not learn otherwise, I for one learned that passive approach never works with these kind of people.

So I am ending the discussion from my side with the decision impending on your shoulders, It's your choice what you wish to do.

Last edited:
Using the newspaper idea, you can prove that the TV was NOT used after so and so date (provided it is unplugged thereafter) but you cannot prove that the TV was used for xx hours before that date.

Current status :

I am on talks with various guys from VGP (including their GM for now). If it does not get resolved at this stage, will try to escalate.
Went to the showroom yesterday to get a duplicate bill (a better printout) and the guy was pretty defensive. His explanation for removing the scratch proof covers were "Samsung has asked us to remove the cover before delivering it to the customer".
Where as, they had displayed a new TV on their shelves without having those covers removed.

Anyways, a Samsung tech called and wanted to visit my home to check the TV.

My point is not whether it has run for 40 or 400 hours - I feel cheated, which is why I intend to take this up till I have a satisfactory result. I know 10 days are over since I purchased, but better late than never.

what is the mfg month?

you can check with samsung based on serial number when it was shipped to the dealer.Register the product at samsung website using your serial number and you can chat online with their CS,Then record the chat history and keep folowing up quoting that until you get a satisfactory answer

did you check for any scratches and any other cosmetic issues

Or all we have is the extra 40 hours unaccounted, need something more like scratches . dust etc to make the case stronger

As mannu rightly said passive approch wont work with any of these guys if you really want the set replaced

Update :

VGP has agreed to replace the TV, just got the confirmation.
I will post details on how it worked out, once it is replaced.

Thanks for your suggestions and support.

that's great news Bro, i am happy you got yours replaced, happy viewing and let this be a learning curve for any future purchases, sometimes there is no other way of learning something other than experiencing it first hand.

Cheers !!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back