• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Difference between a network streamer vs a Portable DAP

QUAD

fLUX

Hi FMs,

I was wondering if there is any noticeable Sound Quality difference between a high quality DAP vs a quality network streamer assuming both are similarly priced (i have a Hiby R6 Pro and contemplating going for a Audiolab 6000N or equivalent).

muralimmreddy

Streamer gives more flexibility. Streamer can be used as just a streamer, with DAC and as preamp etc. Can be controlled with remote app on mobile. Most of the DAP's dont have digital line-out. Battery performance can be issue over time.

fLUX

So differences seem to be more use case driven If the DAP has a good DAC. My current DAP has a lineout function (supports coax) , bidirectional bluetooth (hence allowing remote mobile usage), can be used as a dac and also allows third party dacs to be used with the dap serving as a source and has playstore support, hence wondering whether a streamer makes much sense or not.