Difference between a network streamer vs a Portable DAP

fLUX

Hi FMs,

I was wondering if there is any noticeable Sound Quality difference between a high quality DAP vs a quality network streamer assuming both are similarly priced (i have a Hiby R6 Pro and contemplating going for a Audiolab 6000N or equivalent).

Streamer gives more flexibility. Streamer can be used as just a streamer, with DAC and as preamp etc. Can be controlled with remote app on mobile. Most of the DAP's dont have digital line-out. Battery performance can be issue over time.

So differences seem to be more use case driven If the DAP has a good DAC. My current DAP has a lineout function (supports coax) , bidirectional bluetooth (hence allowing remote mobile usage), can be used as a dac and also allows third party dacs to be used with the dap serving as a source and has playstore support, hence wondering whether a streamer makes much sense or not.

So differences seem to be more use case driven If the DAP has a good DAC. My current DAP has a lineout function (supports coax) , bidirectional bluetooth (hence allowing remote mobile usage), can be used as a dac and also allows third party dacs to be used with the dap serving as a source and has playstore support, hence wondering whether a streamer makes much sense or not.
Hi @fLUX
I think you said it well in the first sentence above.
I have both options in my set up.
The sound from my streamer (Bluesound Node 2) to the stand alone DAC (PS Audio digital link) is clearer, has deeper soundstage and more spacious than if I play through my DAP (AK70, May be a comparison with AK320 will be closer?)
Day to day use I use the DAP with headphones while the streamer lives with the Hifi set up.
You already have the streaming function from your DAP.(?)
The itch to scratch is satisfying the quest for even better sound?

Hi @fLUX
I think you said it well in the first sentence above.
I have both options in my set up.
The sound from my streamer (Bluesound Node 2) to the stand alone DAC (PS Audio digital link) is clearer, has deeper soundstage and more spacious than if I play through my DAP (AK70, May be a comparison with AK320 will be closer?)
Day to day use I use the DAP with headphones while the streamer lives with the Hifi set up.
You already have the streaming function from your DAP.(?)
The itch to scratch is satisfying the quest for even better sound?

Hi @Goldenears

The main itch was to have direct control over the playback , with a DAP you cannot control tidal playback via a mobile device and spotify though possible is not very smooth, SQ also was on my mind and wanted to know if it made a difference. Now having moved over to separates can attest to what you have said that streamer/good source not only helps in a smoother UX but also does bring about refinements and improvements in the sound signature.

Yes, the UI was a important factor in my choice of streamer. BluOS is very intuitive and stable (phone, IPad). I am streaming Tidal HiF over this with no problem at all. The built in DAC is not bad, but a good quality separate DAC with its own power supply seems to make a nice improvement.

I did try the Allo Digione signature before this. SQ was good, but the set up and tech part of it was daunting to me.

The Acoustic Portrait Swara DAC is pretty good too. It’s also Raspi based but with its own power supply etc all in a nice case. It also streams, upnp (need to use a usb dongle). It however only outputs Analogue signal. So the option of adding an external DAC to the chain is not there.
I think AK Kann (and maybe others) can stream Tidal (but not Spotify!)

Last edited:
Hi, I am facing the similar dilemma. My main source of music is HiBy R3 pro DAP, filled with wav files I ripped from audio cd’s. I have NAD 368 amp and Oberon 3 Speakers. Can anyone please suggest/compare both the options(BluOS component integration Vs. Using the HiBy DAP) in terms of the sound quality?

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back